cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K display in CV1

AlexiGVS
Explorer
I think CV1 must have 4K OLED display to obtain crystal clear image and left competitors far behind...
To avoid low perfomance on low-end and middle-end PC's we need Smart Resolution Downscale System (SRDS) without image distortions. I think it is not a problem for Oculus VR, because they have John Carmack in the team...
3840 × 2160 --> smart downscaled 2560x1440 for middle-end PC.
3840 × 2160 --> smart downscaled 1920x1080 for low end PC.
Thoughts?
19 REPLIES 19

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Sounds good to me.

It would be nice if the software could monitor framerates and adjust the pre-distortion resolution on the fly, rather than based on system spec.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

saviornt
Protege
No.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

Stankiem
Honored Guest
4k would be very nice and would supposedly get rid of screendoor effect completely. Even if the "Actual" resolution of the image from the computer is only 1080p or 2k and it's "stretched" or whatever.. At least the screendoor will be gone and it will leave plenty of room for the guys with Monster video cards to actually utilize 4k

bp2008
Protege
4k would be nice, but it isn't going to happen. Not for CV1. That kind of display technology is simply not ready yet.

There are other ways to get rid of screen-door effect. SDE is caused by the space between pixels.

renderingpipeli
Honored Guest
"nalex66" wrote:

It would be nice if the software could monitor framerates and adjust the pre-distortion resolution on the fly, rather than based on system spec.

That's why you can monitor the latency with DK2 while the user wears it - you just have to implement it in your engine.

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Are there any phones available that have both a 4K screen and a >=60Hz refresh rate? VR needs both, you can't just get away with the high resolution. If there are then fine, so long as they can keep the price in check, I don't think at this point a 4K screen is worth more than an extra $50 to your average consumer because almost no one will be able to run 4K VR content at a smooth framerate at the time the cV1 will be launching.

mrdigi
Honored Guest
Palmer Luckey said the CV1 will not have the SDE. That's really all I care about. Sure it'd be nice to have a super high resolution, but I don't see it was necessary because by the time video cards can handle 4k stereo at 90fps it'll probably be time for the CV2.

bp2008
Protege
I'm all for higher resolutions. Especially as FOV increases, I see the display resolution being a strong limiting factor for VR. I don't know about you, but I won't be fully satisfied until I can read road signs from just as far away in VR as I can in real life. And that could take a 16k by 8k display, if not higher (which would be over 100 million pixels per frame!). But I really don't think Oculus could put a 4k panel in the CV1 without delaying it by at least a year.

bp2008
Protege
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
Are there any phones available that have both a 4K screen and a >=60Hz refresh rate? VR needs both, you can't just get away with the high resolution. If there are then fine, so long as they can keep the price in check, I don't think at this point a 4K screen is worth more than an extra $50 to your average consumer because almost no one will be able to run 4K VR content at a smooth framerate at the time the cV1 will be launching.

I don't think there are any phones available with a 4K screen OR refresh rate higher than 60hz. Certainly not both.

Also, you can run Quake 3 at 400+ FPS on a low-midrange system today at 4k resolution. So really all you need is for the game to have graphics fidelity fitting of a 10 or 15 year old game and you are all set!