New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sixense custom Tuscany demo for Hydra

edziebaedzieba Posts: 109
Hiro Protagonist
edited April 2013 in Games and Apps
Sixense have customised the stock Tuscany demo for use with the Razer Hydra, and intend to make it available to all.

Comments

• Very cool. I'm looking forward to trying this out. While building our Razer Hydra demo for Torque 3D I had to come up with a calibration scheme that would allow people of different sizes, and starting at different distances from the Hydra base, to successfully interact with the scene. I'm really curious to see how they tackle this problem.

- Dave
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I had a chance to try this. Its actually pretty awesome. Really captures the feeling of VR.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • darrendarren Posts: 251
    Very cool. I'm looking forward to trying this out. While building our Razer Hydra demo for Torque 3D I had to come up with a calibration scheme that would allow people of different sizes, and starting at different distances from the Hydra base, to successfully interact with the scene. I'm really curious to see how they tackle this problem.

- Dave

That's a good point. You have to calibrate for arm reach. It's like the medical check at the beginning of halo where he says look up, down... Now do jumping jacks.
    "Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft
  • KuraIthysKuraIthys Posts: 259
    Brain Burst
    darren wrote:
    Very cool. I'm looking forward to trying this out. While building our Razer Hydra demo for Torque 3D I had to come up with a calibration scheme that would allow people of different sizes, and starting at different distances from the Hydra base, to successfully interact with the scene. I'm really curious to see how they tackle this problem.

- Dave

That's a good point. You have to calibrate for arm reach. It's like the medical check at the beginning of halo where he says look up, down... Now do jumping jacks.

It's hard to say without having had the chance yet to play around with a hydra, or do much more than read the basic information on how it's supposed to work, but my intuition on the matter suggests calibration something along the lines of the following:

(While holding a controller in each hand)
    Probably, to avoid confusion you'd need to have an avatar demonstrate the postures for this to really work effectively.
    1. Place your hands close to your belly button
    2. Place your hands hanging down by your sides.
    3. place your hands so they touch your shoulders.

1 gives you a general indication of the location of the centre of mass of a person's body.
    3 gives you the position of a person's shoulders, which in combination with 1 gives you a rough sense of both how wide their shoulders are, and approximately the size of their torso - which could be helpful to know for several reasons.
    2 then more or less gives you their armspan, especially in combination with 3, since the distance measured for points 2 and 3 should be roughly the maximum distance a person can move their hand away from their shoulder.

Now, without knowing specifics about any quirks the hydra's tracking has, or actually having any means to test this, it still seems a fairly decent and not excessively involved calibration routine.

(if you're wondering why I use the belly button as a reference point, it's mainly because a point on the body like that can give you a sense of how large someone is, and the centre of mass of a human body is reasonably close to the waist. But using any arbitrary point on the body would be confusing to identify, while nearly everyone has a bellybutton, and can find their own without too much difficulty. XD)
  • As you can see on my blog I ended up going with just touching your shoulders. This gave me a shoulder width so I could scale the user's position to that of the player skeleton in-game. It also provides the head and neck position at the center of the shoulders. Finally, all of this provides an offset from the Hydra base station which I couldn't assume was a particular distance from the player (I place mine to the left of my keyboard, for example).

Along the way I also wanted a second calibration step with the user pointing their arms straight out. I was hoping this would provide the most accurate method to calculate their arm length. Unfortunately, the Hydra is not accurate enough between points in space for me to do the hand to shoulder calculation. The Hydra is consistent in that I would always receive the same position in space when I hold a controller at the same location, but it is not accurate when trying to precisely compare two positions in space. I would always get some strange results (and boy did I try to make this work).

So that's why I ended up going with a single calibration step. If the Sixense people don't put out their own best practices with their Tuscany/Hydra demo, I'll see about writing a blog outlining what I found and my thought process. It'll have to wait until I get the Rift changes for Torque 3D into our development branch though. Maybe even wait until we get our 3.0 release complete later this month.

- Dave
  • This is mind-blowing! I can sense the awesomeness just by watching the video. Great technology! I can't wait to see/experience more VR stuff in the near future! Some sort of mo-cap gloves or a suit would be really nice.
  • Really looking forward to this. I just got my Hydra a few days ago with the Portal prmotion. Good stuff awaits!
  • DWoodallDWoodall Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hi Guys, this is Danny from Sixense, I was the one who authored the Tuscany + Hydra demo.

For calibration, I actually used the same method you chose Dave. Putting the hands near the shoulders for calibration gets it "good enough". Ideally I would have included another calibration as you mentioned but I ran out of time. I had just over 2 weeks to get this all working and it was also my first time in Unity. It is an interesting problem to look into. You could add additional calibration to make sure that the arm extension matches the desired avatar arm extension, or you could get more detailed information and scale the avatar to the players height and reach so that a 5ft person wouldn't be playing as a 6ft tall person. It is true that the Hydra has great precision but not as good accuracy. As Dave mentioned though the position and orientation are very repeatable.

I actually ran across a few interesting issues with the short time I had on this project. One I mentioned above, but the second had a much bigger effect, though minimized since the player has floating hands. Initially, I didn't pay too much attention to getting the hands to be 1to1 with the physical hands. This was mainly for gameplay reasons. I did experiment (and prefer) when the hands are 1to1, but this makes it so you can't reach as far outward or reach the floor for dropped objects. Instead of adding a crouch button, I developed an analog crouch based off of the lowest Hydra controller position. This feels pretty great though it can be disorienting as I didn't capture any forward translation (bend at the waist). For GDC I elected to disable the analog crouch as it can be rough for first timers. Head bobbing was also disabled. I prefer both of these features enabled and can be by pressing G (crouch, C is crosshair) and H. Body capsule size was also something I tweaked until it felt "right". The radius I ended up with was much smaller than one would typically use for body collision.

I am hoping to get the demo out shortly and will release the source to follow shortly after. We did just release our Sixense Unity Plugin which does have the hands and animations we used for the Tuscany demo. We are also testing a Mac version which can be found on our site: http://sixense.com/forum/vbulletin/show ... #post13290

Working on this demo was by far the most fun I have had in my dev career! An interesting side note was that Ben Lang, the guy you saw playing the demo, had only used the Hydra one other time when he did an interview with Project Holodeck.
  • dextiusdextius Posts: 10
    I think an interesting demo would be a combination of your work and the demo on youtube involving head tracking using one of the two hydra remotes attached to ones head. I look forward to trying the demo out. I actually purchased the hydra on seeing that demo alone. Nice work!
  • Greetings Danny!

It is great to hear that you also came up with the same calibration scheme. I always feel like I'm developing these things in a vacuum.

I look forward to trying out your demo!

- Dave
  • ArneOdlandArneOdland Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    I did the same as Dextius. I ordered the Hydra right after I saw the demo.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,840
    Trinity
    Thanks Danny -- I had been using a simple Hydra "starter" kit for Unity from somewhere in the Sixense forums for awhile, I'm looking forward to checking out the new plugin in the asset store! Trying to animate my own hands without having any rigging/skinning experience was driving me crazy.
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • danmaksimdanmaksim Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Just wanted to mention that I also ordered a Hydra immediately after I saw a video of the Sixense/Tuscany demo online.
  • space123321space123321 Posts: 134
    Hiro Protagonist
    According to the Sixense forums this demo might be released today... my virtual fingers are crossed!!! :D
  • jayohjayoh Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    rad, i know what i'm doing later tonight!
    i'm building STV.RE
  • MikeArms24MikeArms24 Posts: 519
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hoping this is available tomorrow
    Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
    http://www.riftmax.com - Latest DK2-ready version 0.415(11/27/2014)
    Hiro Protagonist
    As yet another winter storm approaches us PLEASE release the demo today - it would be so nice to walk around the Tuscany cottage interacting with the environment instead of looking out the window at the freezing rain lol!! :?
  • DWoodallDWoodall Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited April 2013
    We are making the demo available today.

You can read the demo instructions ahead of time though :)
    http://sixense.com/backup/SixenseTuscan ... ctions.pdf
    Hiro Protagonist
    thank you - this is outstandings news!!!
  • LNRrgBLNRrgB Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Seems like tomorrow morning is the next ETA given at Sixence forum.
  • MikeArms24MikeArms24 Posts: 519
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hell yeah, hope they release the Demo Project
    Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
    http://www.riftmax.com - Latest DK2-ready version 0.415(11/27/2014)
    :( ... this has to be the slowest "host" update to put a file up to download in the history of the internet ... I don't understand why they don't put it on dropbox or something or put it up on some other host.. So tantalizingly close. I'll be patient. I hope they get it all sorted out soon.
  • ThomixiosoThomixioso Posts: 118
    Oh, so Rift is required for running of Tuscany demo? I have only Hydra and want to try it so bad.. :cry:
  • Thomixioso wrote:
    Oh, so Rift is required for running of Tuscany demo? I have only Hydra and want to try it so bad.. :cry:

You can probably run it, but you will have 2 screens in a weird resolution / warp. Better than nothing i guess :?
  • When is this getting released? They said tomorrow last month but I don't see anything further from them and don't see any demo to download.
    When is this getting released? They said tomorrow last month but I don't see anything further from them and don't see any demo to download.

They say tomorrow every day. Now they're saying in the next 30 minutes, they said that 2 hours ago.
  • SteelClawzSteelClawz Posts: 110
    edited April 2013
    Wow bouncing the ball is a blast

More cool things i found so far, make fists and you can turn the shutters into a punching bag

Also you can carry a burning log and drop it in the fountain... cool stuff

im sure theres more hidden goodies... back to looking around

Great job guys!!
  • lordvtplordvtp Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    Be careful not to punch your monitors playing with stuff...
  • You can use the wood plank on the side of the house on a barrel thats on its side. Place something on one side, then from the balcony drop something much larger