cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound when using HDMI

Julian
Honored Guest
Bound to be something I'm doing wrong but can anyone tell me how to maintain Laptop sound (Dell XPS) when I plug the Rift HDMI cable in? This is with the Tuscany, TF2 and Rollercoaster demos.
I've just found I can wait until the Rollercoaster demo is running and then plug the cable in but have to do so each time. Iv'e tried setting the default sound to PC.

This is how the mixer panel appears sound setup no hdmi.png
and it changes to this sound setup with Rift hdmi plugged in.png
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

kingtut
Honored Guest
With the rift plugged in and powered on, go to Control Panel -> Sound. You'll see 4 tabs, the leftmost is "Playback" - select it. Click on the 'Speakers' item for the normal High Def Audio, and then click on "Set Default". For future-proofing, Right-click on the Rift audio device and select "Disable".

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yep, it's just about the Windows sound settings as kingtut mentioned.

Additionally, if you are using an Nvidia GPU you can go into the Nvidia control panel under "Display" click "Set up digital audio" and you can disable HDMI audio. AMD may have something similar.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Julian
Honored Guest
Thanks. As always there are loads of similar ways to do things in windows and the one you forget to try is the one 🙂

tlopes
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Yep, it's just about the Windows sound settings as kingtut mentioned.

Additionally, if you are using an Nvidia GPU you can go into the Nvidia control panel under "Display" click "Set up digital audio" and you can disable HDMI audio. AMD may have something similar.

Yes there is an AMD setting for HDMI audio. There've been many reports on these boards about HDMI audio producing unwanted additional display latency, so it may be a good idea to turn this feature off whenever using the Rift over HDMI.

missionv
Explorer
I have this problem too but the above suggestions don't resolve it. When in the Sound control panel -> Playback (tab) I can't disable the Rift DK from the right-click menu. Neither can I set the Speakers as the default. I click on the 'Set Default' button but nothing changes.

I have an nvidia video card but the Control Panel has no options for sound.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Do you not see this?

Nvidia_HDMI_Audio.jpg
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Martinrodriguez
Honored Guest
"kingtut" wrote:
With the rift plugged in and powered on, go to Control Panel -> Sound. You'll see 4 tabs, the leftmost is "Playback" - select it. Click on the 'Speakers' item for the normal High Def Audio, and then click on "Set Default". For future-proofing, Right-click on the Rift audio device and select "Disable".

I've fixed my problem thanks!