VR Porn (MEGATHREAD) NSFW - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Porn (MEGATHREAD) NSFW

2456744

Comments

  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    Would it be possible for everybody to agree that if you respond to this thread that you contribute something? I've tried to follow that rule, since I don't want the thread derailed, but people can't seem to resist getting side-tracked.

    I was looking at this Japanese demo (there doesn't seem to be a real game here) and while I was first tempted to write it off as yet another bad breast spring simulation, there seems to be some improvement here.



    Mainly, there does not seem to be as much self-intersection as I'd expect to see.

    I think the main challenge here is the fact that breasts do not have a uniform density and the elasticity of skin is not a linear function. Without these factors we go into the uncanny valley. Maybe that is the wrong term since I can't say I've ever been creeped out by breast simulations.. Uncanny Boobys? ;)
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    something like a make-out or lap dance simulator with those anime graphics
    would definitely be cool.
  • IsoMacintoshIsoMacintosh Posts: 325
    edited May 2013
    jwilkins wrote:
    I was looking at this Japanese demo (there doesn't seem to be a real game here)
    uh, it clearly says its from "Oppai slider 2" its an older illusion title from 2005.

    EDIT: Actually the reason i brought the cumshots up, was that i have played illusions newest game "Premium Play Darkness" and that game has really bad cumshots.
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    I know the title, but didn't think it was important enough to mention. I trust people can follow up on things if they want. I have not looked at it, but people seemed to say there wasn't anything interesting about it other than than the sliders (hence, no real game). I am surprised it was 2005 because this is about is good as anything I've seen except for one other simulation that I haven't been able to find again.

    I've been interested in breast rigs because, like the fluid simulations brought up earlier, there are solutions that get close to the ground truth but we don't have the computational power. The real time solutions don't really cut it. What I find funny about the idea of doing seminal fluid simulation is that you might actually get away with publishing a paper on it and nobody would guess what your purpose was, but if you tried to obfuscate your real time breast rig research you'd probably have people giggling anyway. :lol:
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • IsoMacintoshIsoMacintosh Posts: 325
    edited May 2013
    JohnRambo wrote:
    What a coincidence! I just read on the news that Priya Rai will be travelling to India and making her first Bollywood movie, and that it was also be India's first 4D movie. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What is 4D though?
    4d movie is just a 3d movie with physical effects.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4D_film
    but i thought that her movie was not porn, so this is offtopic.

    Edit: Corrected a language mistake (finnish language has no he/she only "hän")
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    spire8989 wrote:
    You're okay with money shot and not cumshot? Grow up.

    I never said I wasn't ok with the term, what I want in regards to respecting other on this forum matters little; I said that many other people read these forums and that perhaps if we wanted to keep this thread available it would be best to keep the terminology as mature as possible.
    If you can't understand that reasoning and you feel the need to disrespect another's opinion because of your intrepid nescience, I don't think I really care much about what your feelings regarding the issue is either.

    If you can't help yourself but be puerile when dealing with an 'adult' topic then I would assume you are either still a teenager, suffering from some form of mental disorder, or just ignorant.

    The difference between 'money shot' and your more uncouth terminology is like the difference between 'breasts' and 'tit*ies' (apologies to anyone who deems this offensive, I am just using it to make a descriptive point) and while you may not care about whether one sounds right to your ears or not, it may be deemed as offensive to others.

    I am certain that as the rules of the forum become more clear and pronounced you will find what I have said to be quite relevant.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • IsoMacintoshIsoMacintosh Posts: 325
    I never said I wasn't ok with the term, what I want in regards to respecting other on this forum matters little; I said that many other people read these forums and that perhaps if we wanted to keep this thread available it would be best to keep the terminology as mature as possible.
    If you can't understand that reasoning and you feel the need to disrespect another's opinion because of your intrepid nescience, I don't think I really care much about what your feelings regarding the issue is either.
    People get offended, thats life.
    if we were considering oversensitive people then this thread would not exist.
    If you can't help yourself but be puerile when dealing with an 'adult' topic then I would assume you are either still a teenager, suffering from some form of mental disorder, or just ignorant.
    Oh, and telling people that they have mental problems is of course not offensive. :roll:
    I am certain that as the rules of the forum become more clear and pronounced you will find what I have said to be quite relevant.
    Ok until then GTFO :D
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,460 Volunteer Moderator
    JohnRambo wrote:
    kojack wrote:
    JohnRambo wrote:
    Do you guys know what kind of camera technology would be required in order to film a porn star and then render it into a 3D environment? I need an answer to that question fast, as I have approached one porn star with the idea of filming her in 3D and her agent has replied to me and told me he would discuss it with her.
    It would depend on the budget and quality required.
    The lowest end of the scale would be a kinect using the kinectfusion app (which generates detailed polygon models of 3d space) to build a 3d model. I was able to make an ok 3d model of my head (the hair went strange, but the face was ok) just by holding the kinect at arm's length and orbiting it around, then applied a photo texture to it in Maya. At the very least it would give a base model for an artist to clean up in zbrush or other modelling tool.

    Then rig it and do some motion capture to control the model (could use the kinect again, but will require manual animation cleaning up too).

    Edit: unless you mean just recording in 3d using stereo cameras then compositing into a 3d scene, that would be a lot easier. Either get two good cameras or a single camera with a 3d lens splitter.

    "Edit: unless you mean just recording in 3d using stereo cameras then compositing into a 3d scene, that would be a lot easier. Either get two good cameras or a single camera with a 3d lens splitter."

    Yes, that is what I am looking to do. Create a real life porn program. Not some animated thing. So what kind of camera technology would be required for that? Stereo cameras, or a camera with a 3D lens splitter?

    I had a post here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=646#p6251
    that shows a 3d splitting addon for a camera. It lets a camera like a canon dslr (only crop sensor models, not full frame like the 5d, 6d or 1d) take photos or record video in side by side stereo. The addon can also take fisheye lenses, so you could basically get a single camera that records video in roughly oculus compatible side by side with distortion (should have higher image quality in the middle than doing the distortion in software).
    However, I've never tried it (I have a crop sensor camera that would be compatible, but it has no video ability). So maybe it won't look good on the rift.

    The advantage to getting two cameras is that you'd get higher resolution in the recorded video (such as full 1920x1080 per eye instead of shared between both eyes horizontally). But you'd need to make or buy a stereo rig to hold them, make sure they are calibrated, it would be heavier, more expensive. Focus and zoom would be a complete pain if you couldn't control them simultaneously. Would work though. I've bought 3 cheap preowned PS Eye cameras ($17 for 3), I intend to try using 2 as stereo for the rift (due to their crazy high fps), the third is to hack around with making it IR only. I'll get a fourth for that too (stereo IR) if I can find another one, they've been discontinued.


    At the end of last year a few of my students (college level) wanted to do breast simulation as the final assignment in the 3d maths subject, because I taught them soft bodied physics simulation. :)
    Nobody ended up doing it though.
  • flyingwaffleflyingwaffle Posts: 179
    Hiro Protagonist
    It lets a camera like a canon dslr (only crop sensor models, not full frame like the 5d, 6d or 1d) take photos or record video in side by side stereo. The addon can also take fisheye lenses, so you could basically get a single camera that records video in roughly oculus compatible side by side with distortion (should have higher image quality in the middle than doing the distortion in software).

    The big issue is that no matter how you record 3D stereo video/photo, you will lose the capability to support head tracking, i.e. either the image is 3D and the point of view is fixed, or the image is 360 degree, but it's 2D.
    I tried to think of a 3D image format to support looking around (i.e. all the orientations supported by the Rift, including tilt) in a 360 view, so that you'd feel like really being in the middle of a scene... but it's not obvious.

    In a first approximation, taking a combination of a 2D 360 image (easy) plus a corresponding 360 degree depth buffer (hard), from a central point. You could then dynamically create a view for each eye for any orientation of the head, but because of parallax you'd have often missing pixels that you would need to fill in (maybe by repeating this from a few points).
    An easier approach might be taking lots of 3D stereo images from many angles around a central point, and then interpolate them.
  • usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    if the 3d modelling can be this good you might not even need real video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhXvLlNqg0E
  • spire8989spire8989 Posts: 337
    Hiro Protagonist
    I won't argue back against you Happy as it will just derail the thread, I'll just say we have very differing opinions on this subject and that if you're offended so easily, maybe you shouldn't even open a thread about porn.

    Back on topic though, I'm interested in the possibilities of hooking up cameras to the rift for out-of-body sexual experiences, and other such things that could bring. Just need two rifts, four cameras, and two willing participants. XD
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    spire8989 wrote:
    maybe you shouldn't even open a thread about porn.
    This is not an adult rated forum (afaik, even if it is then I would still expect decency would be appreciated), so I would assume you are expected to keep certain topics within limits. Do you really want to be forced to scuttle away to a different forum in order to discuss adult themed VR games? :roll:
    @Isomacintosh, seriously dude? 98% of your posts are either you complaining or whining about other peoples work and the other 2% are the juvenile ones on this thread.
    Once again, I never said I was offended by the words (do you need me to say it a third time?), however we have already received warning that if adult discussion can not be done in a mature manner on these forums, then we will not have the option of doing it here.

    Have a sense of decency and respect for others who are on this forum; prove to your peers that you are mature enough to carry on an adult discussion without digressing to using a potty mouth.
    This is an official forum for the Oculus Rift DevKit, not Reddit.
    usb420 wrote:
    if the 3d modelling can be this good you might not even need real video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhXvLlNqg0E

    lol at the bounce on that girl! There are far better examples of the female form in CG though, I think such an over-exaggeration looks silly but I'm sure there are those who enjoy it. :)

    Hey guys, I apologize for trying to moderate a thread when I am not a moderator, but I enjoy the topic and I do not think it will be allowed to continue for long if we can not keep the terms used somewhat reasonable. There are after all many other people browsing these forums, perhaps even the younger generation. Do you really need to be crass when talking about adult topics?
    It reminds me of that other fellow who posted a Rift Ready video of a cute model in different stages of undress, he asked people to be respectful to her and the first handful of posts were anything but. It was rather sad to see that the men couldn't contain themselves, and the posts were rightfully removed.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • IsoMacintoshIsoMacintosh Posts: 325
    @Isomacintosh, seriously dude? 98% of your posts are either you complaining or whining about other peoples work and the other 2% are the juvenile ones on this thread.
    What does that have to do with anything, if you want to complain about me, then make a thread in the offtopic section.
    Once again, I never said I was offended by the words (do you need me to say it a third time?),
    I did not say anything to imply that.i said that you cant please everybody, no matter what you do some people will get offended. Thats life
    If you can't help yourself but be puerile when dealing with an 'adult' topic then I would assume you are either still a teenager, suffering from some form of mental disorder, or just ignorant.
    Oh, and telling people that they have mental problems is of course not offensive. :roll:
    What a surprise, youd did not reply to this. :D
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    I knew you wouldn't be able to leave it alone IsoMac lmao.
    The fact that you are so whiny and disrespectful in nearly all of your other posts has everything to do with it, it belies your true character and suggests there is little point in taking much of what you say seriously (although I obviously have a hard time taking my advice, I would be better off to ignore you).

    I never said anybody had a mental problem, I made a statement suggesting that if a grown man can not be mature enough to understand why crude language is probably not in the best interest of this thread then I can assume they are either a teenager, ignorant in regards to respecting your peers, or suffering from mental health issues. I stand by that statement 100%.

    You are the offensive character in question, and really the only one here who felt the need to speak in such a manner.
    All that I did was suggest that it would be more befitting to the conduciveness of this thread to reserve the more uncouth language for a different place.
    You then accepted my proposed terms
    Well people should not get offended from such small things. but next time i will use some different term.
    and then reverted to your former antics once spire8989
    suggested that I am the immature one for attempting to keep the topic on a level that everyone can appreciate.
    Actually the reason i brought the c**shots up, was that i have played illusions newest game "Premium Play Darkness" and that game has really bad cu**shots.
    (You just couldn't resist throwing it in their twice that time could you? Can I ask how old you are?).

    I then went as far as to apologize for my attempted 'moderations' and explained rather clearly why exactly I had done so, which was both to preserve the future of this thread and further threads like it, and to show respect for the other members of the developers forums.
    Now I know that you can not be wrong so I anticipate and welcome something in return, just try to make certain you have the facts straight this time. :roll:
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • DycusDycus Posts: 76
    Himitsu and IsoMac, take it to PMs if you have a problem with each other. Next post from either one of you that's insulting/arguing with the other is getting deleted.

    We don't wanna have to lock this topic as well, considering it's been going okay so far. Keep the petty arguments out of here.
    Considering we're talking about porn anyway, I don't think it really matters what terms people use as long as they're not vulgar. Say cumshot, money shot, ejaculate, semen, jizz, whatever, I don't really care. But stop the arguing with each other, or I'm gonna start deleting posts. I'd rather not close the topic and ruin it for everybody else.
  • captaintripscaptaintrips Posts: 313
    Hiro Protagonist
    Could always do a VR game based on "Boogie Nights". Would be awesome.
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Dycus wrote:
    Considering we're talking about porn anyway, I don't think it really matters what terms people use as long as they're not vulgar. Say cumshot, money shot, ejaculate, semen, jizz, whatever, I don't really care.
    Well in that case I don't give a flying fu**rat (I hope that's ok, if not please replace it with 'humpstick'; I like the sounds of that.) what anybody says then :lol:
    If mods don't find cumshot vulgar, I'm all for it!
    How about a VR porn utilizing fluid simulation for realistic expulsory feminine ejaculate?
    It would be kind of cool to play with her pussy in VR and utilize fluid simulation for the girl cumming all over the inside of my Oculus Rift mask.
    You could have virtual 'wipers' that clean it off! lmao! :)
    Dang Dycus, you da best!
    JohnRambo wrote:
    They were getting ready to perform a little of the old in-out, in-out on a weepy young devotchka they had there.
    Man it's been too long since I have seen that movie! I don't think my Wifey has so I just may have to find it!! :D
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • nihiliannihilian Posts: 122
    Realism is always going to be a money maker, the trend in movies and games are perfect examples, but it's also the most predictable and therefore boring developmental path.

    I'm personally excited about having the ability to embody non-conventional or non-human avatars.
    I think we're sufficiently entrenched in scarcity-based psychology that if everyone with a VR system can have access to realistic sex at the press of a few buttons, then normal sex will quickly lose its appeal, and more novel forms of sex will rapidly emerge to fill the gap, I'm counting on our japanese brothers to come up with the weirdest shit.

    The number of human fetishes is staggering, just from what we can glimpse in the media we know people are sexually attracted to same sex partners, transvestites, animals, inanimate objects, corpses, old people, young people, certain sounds, sights, taste, smell, very specific body parts.

    I can't even begin to imagine the relative unknowns that are socially unacceptable or plain illegal and are therefore suppressed.

    How people and society at large will be influenced by access to these fetishes are interesting to science, we may discover many clues about how sexual fetishes shape human behavior. One very real effect could be that targeted advertising gets really fucking weird.

    Morality is another big can of worm. Would VR allow people to vent their unsanctioned sexual frustration such as pedophelia, necrophelia, incest, or rape, and as a result reduce actual occurrences? Or would the opposite happen?
    Would society allow these types of games? Some people want to ban games because of their violent content, one could only imagine the kind of controversy that might stem from this.

    It seems that we could ask these questions of any digital media, but I believe VR is somewhat unique in that it can potentially produce experiences that can be mistaken as real.

    Another thought that just crossed my mind is, we know it's illegal to hold someone captive against their will, but if a company designs VR that is so immersive and pleasurable that people will voluntarily stay, should that be legal?
    Some have argued that the (fast) food industry scientifically test for the most addictive combination of ingredients which tap into our evolutionary, instinctual responses to increase consumption. If this, they're effectively slowly murdering people through over-eating related diseases for profit.

    VR can have a similar effect, and at some point in the future, ethics, if not law, may require developers to include clear indication that the experience is not real, and to provide periodic alerts to take a break. We would have the opposite problem we have now, how to limit immersion.

    I'll stop myself now before I diverge into something else.
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    It can already be argued that MMORPG games play on the same mechanisms that cause gambling addiction. I have a hard time seeing this being made illegal in the United States though. (To be clear I mean making entertainment experiences so compelling that people live in them). As long as people pay their bills and don't cause trouble for others, they can be as agoraphobic as they want. Then again, Bloomberg tried to ban big sodas, so who knows.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    JohnRambo wrote:
    What a coincidence! I just read on the news that Priya Rai will be travelling to India and making her first Bollywood movie, and that it was also be India's first 4D movie. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What is 4D though?
    4d movie is just a 3d movie with physical effects.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4D_film
    but i thought that her movie was not porn, so this is offtopic.

    Edit: Corrected a language mistake (finnish language has no he/she only "hän")

    The term 4D has many uses but in Stereophotogrammetry it can mean 3D space + time = 4D. Imagine high resolution, 360 degree (non occluded) scans 1000x better than the current Kinect output but recorded/scanned at 60fps-120fps, played back at 24fps-48fps in a game environment and viewed in the Rift from any angle.
    _________________________________________________
    I N F I N I T E

    www.ir-ltd.net
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    Do you guys want to close another thread?

    ..aaaannnd back on topic.
    JohnRambo wrote:

    Does anyone know of any other companies or individuals who are trying to develop sex/porn VR games?

    Yes my company is pursuing this field, among other fields of VR development.

    I specialize in 3D scanning and have been actively pursuing this dream since the 90's. But it has taken me a long time to get to grips with 3D scanning humans and to do it reliably and well. The next phase is 4D capture, which will be a new medium of displaying this type of content for online experiences and VR.
    _________________________________________________
    I N F I N I T E

    www.ir-ltd.net
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    JohnRambo wrote:
    Infinite wrote:
    Do you guys want to close another thread?

    ..aaaannnd back on topic.
    JohnRambo wrote:

    Does anyone know of any other companies or individuals who are trying to develop sex/porn VR games?

    Yes my company is pursuing this field, among other fields of VR development.

    I specialize in 3D scanning and have been actively pursuing this dream since the 90's. But it has taken me a long time to get to grips with 3D scanning humans and to do it reliably and well. The next phase is 4D capture, which will be a new medium of displaying this type of content for online experiences and VR.

    Can I ask how you capture real human porn or videos in 3D or 4D? What kind of cameras do you use, and what software do you use to render it?

    At the moment I do static 3D capture but I'm close to investment to build a full body 4D capture system which is very expensive. 100+ Machine vision cameras would be used to capture very high resolution video at high frame rates from many angles. Agisoft Photoscan is one method of processing this kind of data.

    The problem is the amount of data that has to be streamed, recorded and processed, it's the main reason why the Kinect is such low resolution. Until quantum computing and petabyte memory is a standard, real-time live 4D reconstruction is a good 5-10 years away.

    This format is only for recorded playback, it wouldn't be interactive. Well it could be but scripted and scene matched.

    An example of my research here - http://ir-ltd.net/ it's taken about 5 years just for me to get to this point. Allot of failed attempts and money, and a longer road a head.

    The main goal is full digital and analog human replication. AI, robotics etc
    _________________________________________________
    I N F I N I T E

    www.ir-ltd.net
  • nihiliannihilian Posts: 122
    That's really interesting ^

    How do you plan to do it exactly?

    I assume you capture the 3+1D content, then use some automated algorithms to recimate the poly count down to a level that can be ran in real time, assuming you use polygon data. You'll probably need some (or a lot of) hand tuning to fix issues with the geometry.
    Then you can either also capture some light field data or get artists to re-light the scene.

    Then you can let people essentially watch 360 movies from any angle they choose.

    This will have its drawbacks though. It's hard enough to compose shots in 2d for clarity and visual interest, to do the same in 360 degrees would take kind of directorial genius. You might end up limiting the number of angles that a scene can be viewed from in the beginning.

    I may be way off with my guess, I'd love to hear more from you. ^^
  • LouisBLouisB Posts: 82
    VR Pony Porn. Imagine the money. Imagine it.

    tumblr_mak6ktGGkA1ru90dzo1_250.gif

    But in all seriousness, yes and no. If it were something like Anime/Hentai simulations then that could work, however I cant see actual simulated reality working very well (sorry guys). Here is why,



    Games and PC's dont really get over that "uncany valley", where its starting to get realistic enough to believable but is still wrong - which just makes it creepy and feels strange. not enough processing power or software support, and an indie developer is DEFINITELY not going to be able to produce something realistic enough for it not to be creepy either.. But porn and all that is very subjective, so it's gonna attract attention either way, whatever floats your boat.
    Email: reigndev@gmail.com - Skype: louis.bartlett2
  • IsoMacintoshIsoMacintosh Posts: 325
    LouisB wrote:
    VR Pony Porn. Imagine the money. Imagine it.
    I dont care about money, just give me some virtual pony fun. :D
    Sadly though all the pony porn makers focus on 2d and flash.
  • PeejlePeejle Posts: 412
    Hiro Protagonist
    LouisB wrote:
    Games and PC's dont really get over that "uncany valley", where its starting to get realistic enough to believable but is still wrong - which just makes it creepy and feels strange. not enough processing power or software support

    I think tech has finally pushed past the creep factor for realtime rendering:

    (10:45 is model talking)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvaGd4KqlvQ

    Not to say it's perfect (notice the tightness of the mouth when talking), but with the right artist and a Titan / equivalent card it's pretty damn close.

    Peejle
  • nihiliannihilian Posts: 122
    IMO, we have already (mostly) conquered the uncanny valley in movies, real time will take longer, it's not a if but a when.
  • usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    wow that Nvidia face demo is pretty impressive. It actually runs halfway decent on my machine too.
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    edited May 2013
    nihilian wrote:
    That's really interesting ^

    How do you plan to do it exactly?

    I assume you capture the 3+1D content, then use some automated algorithms to recimate the poly count down to a level that can be ran in real time, assuming you use polygon data. You'll probably need some (or a lot of) hand tuning to fix issues with the geometry.
    Then you can either also capture some light field data or get artists to re-light the scene.

    Then you can let people essentially watch 360 movies from any angle they choose.

    This will have its drawbacks though. It's hard enough to compose shots in 2d for clarity and visual interest, to do the same in 360 degrees would take kind of directorial genius. You might end up limiting the number of angles that a scene can be viewed from in the beginning.

    I may be way off with my guess, I'd love to hear more from you. ^^

    That's correct. Composing is trivial though, it's better in fact because you have allot more options. Your limit is your imagination. You can view content from any angle. Voyeur type playback for example (if your into that sort of thing!) :D

    4D will be to VR what black and white silent moving pictures was to the movie industry, a start.

    The 'uncanny valley' is surpassed in this instanced because your essentially watching back self illuminated moving imagery over sculpted form. The transition from that to game ready content is the leap and where things slip into the valley (I hate that term as it's so cliche these days) i.e. shading, lighting, rigging etc

    You guys may not have seen it but the very early concept videos from L.A Noire, before they watered down the scan playback quality and texture res were incredible. They leaped over believability, the rest of the game world just looked bad. But the released game looked worse in the end. I believe Depth Analysis, the guys behind the tech are also doing 4D capture research for full body playback.

    As soon as you start to try and relight, re-shade things break down.

    but the initial concept is enough to get interest and enjoyment without a doubt. Trust me, even viewing static human scans in VR is fun and very convincing, no uncanny at all! and these aren't moving. Yet. https://vimeo.com/65964328

    Like a modern day version of Madame Tussauds but less creepy and unrestricted.

    I'd be doing it already but when your self funded it takes time to earn the cash to build the technology.
    _________________________________________________
    I N F I N I T E

    www.ir-ltd.net
  • nihiliannihilian Posts: 122
    Infinite wrote:
    nihilian wrote:
    That's really interesting ^

    How do you plan to do it exactly?

    I assume you capture the 3+1D content, then use some automated algorithms to recimate the poly count down to a level that can be ran in real time, assuming you use polygon data. You'll probably need some (or a lot of) hand tuning to fix issues with the geometry.
    Then you can either also capture some light field data or get artists to re-light the scene.

    Then you can let people essentially watch 360 movies from any angle they choose.

    This will have its drawbacks though. It's hard enough to compose shots in 2d for clarity and visual interest, to do the same in 360 degrees would take kind of directorial genius. You might end up limiting the number of angles that a scene can be viewed from in the beginning.

    I may be way off with my guess, I'd love to hear more from you. ^^

    That's correct. Composing is trivial though, it's better in fact because you have allot more options. Your limit is your imagination. You can view content from any angle. Voyeur type playback for example (if your into that sort of thing!) :D

    4D will be to VR what black and white silent moving pictures was to the movie industry, a start.

    The 'uncanny valley' is surpassed in this instanced because your essentially watching back self illuminated moving imagery over sculpted form. The transition from that to game ready content is the leap and where things slip into the valley (I hate that term as it's so cliche these days) i.e. shading, lighting, rigging etc

    but the initial concept is enough to get interested and enjoyment without a doubt. Trust me, even viewing static human scans in VR is fun! and these aren't moving. Yet. https://vimeo.com/65964328

    I'd be doing it already but when your self funded it takes time to earn the cash to build the technology.

    You're right, it's very exciting, I can imagine having just lots of fun doing even very basic things in VR.

    I suspect you may be wrong about composing pictures though, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

    Take 2001 for example, many of the most iconic moments in the film owe their visual impact to the way the image is presented,
    2001-A-Space-Odyssey.jpg3

    2001-space-odyssey-monolith.jpg

    I believe we may be able to get away with a lot in the beginning, and maybe forever in some genres, due to the novelty, immersion, and the sense of freedom, and in those respects it might be trivial how the imagery is presented.

    But I think at the same time VR presents the challenge of how to take advantage of all the possible view angles to compose compelling images. Some scenes could be given a totally different emotional quality or meaning depending on how you view it, and this is a great opportunity to experiment with visual story telling. It's like a new cinematic language is being invented, and we're going to have to learn to speak all over again.

    Very exciting indeed!
Sign In or Register to comment.