cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 mirrored display / driver issues...

Veraxus
Protege
I'm trying to set up the DK2 to mirror the display to a television (as I've frequently done with DK1). This should be straightforward as both are FullHD 1080P displays. With Windows 8 set to "Extend these displays" and the Rift set to "Extend mode", things seem to work MOSTLY okay (other than the Rift app opening on the TV instead of the Rift display - grrr).

But as soon as I set Windows to "Duplicate" the displays, Windows drops to the bizarre resolution of 1080 x 948 and the only two options are that or 1024 x 768. Er. What?

As of yet, I can't get direct mode to work either, but right now the most important thing for me is getting Mirror/Duplicated screen mode working at 1080P on both displays. Any ideas? Is this a driver bug?

Pertinent particulars:
Windows 8 Pro (x64)
GeForce GTX 780 @ 337.88
DK2 connected via GPU DVI out w/ provided DVI->HDMI adapter
TV connected via GPU native HDMI out
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64
28 REPLIES 28

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
The DK2 is a portrait mode display turned sideways. It's trying to do the bizarre resolution of 1080 x 1920, but your other screen can't handle that resolution, so 1080 x 948 is its best approximation. I guess 1024 x 768 is another approximation.
You need to make the DK2 in landscape mode first, but I don't know if you can mirror it that way. It might not be possible.
They are not both 1080p displays. The DK2 is a 1920p display. One is 1920 x 1080, the other is 1080 x 1920.

Veraxus
Protege
Thanks, that makes sense. If Windows ignores orientation while set to Duplicate, that would explain the problem. This sounds like something that might be fixable with some registry tweaking or a driver update.

I'll just have to use DK1 for presentations in the mean time.

Now to figure out why everything insists on opening only on my primary display instead of the DK2 display.
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64

genabde
Explorer
i have the same issues

i have an HP 2310ti Monitor conected via DVI (also tested via VGA)

and DK2 Conected with HDMI

My Graficcard ist an ATI 7950

mybe Graficcard related?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also experiencing this issue on a workstation-replacement laptop - ASUS ROG, i7, gtx765m gpu.

Fobwashed
Honored Guest
Same issue here. If anyone is NOT having this issue, could you please post? It seems like some people need to flip as well as set to portrait so I'm wondering if different pieces of hardware have different orientations as well.

Not being able to mirror with a monitor is pretty horrendous. Current workaround is to use OBS to preview a stream of the monitor the rift is set to. Not ideal.

toppy
Honored Guest
Same problem here. I want to duplicate the screen so that others can see what I'm doing but it's just not working. Goes to that weird resolution. I've tried flipping the displays before duplication etc but to no avail.

Extended works ok but, as others have said, the demo often starts in the wrong display (my main monitor) unless the game has a specific setting to move it like Elite Dangerous

toppy
Honored Guest
I'm still trying to figure out a workaround for this. I had the idea that I could try mirroring what's on the rift with some video capture software somehow? I'll see what I can do.

Edit 1: I just tried using VLC's capture function.

Under Capture Device I set the source to "Desktop" and then, if you click the "More Options" button you can enter more options.

As my main monitor has a width of 1920 I used this which means it only captures the Rift:

:screen-fps=40.000000 :screen-caching=300 :screen-left=1920

If you want to try it you can obviously change the FPS and Screen-left option to fit what you want.

Unfortunately however, when Elite Dangerous opened VLC crashes. Still, this could be useful for moving windows around in the rift I guess.

metrowave
Honored Guest
I have similar issues in Windows 8.1, cannot easily make the screen orientation to show correctly on DK2. Only worked once when somehow I managed to extend the screen and use the Landscape-flipped mode!

shanecolbert
Explorer
I had some success with Ultramon, and its mirroring functionality.
I have setup scripts to mirror from my Rift DK2 (as the primary), to my main montior (setup as secondary).
Will try it with more games, to see if it works universally.