New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

vrcinema3D

swluswlu Posts: 89
Hiro Protagonist
edited September 2014 in Games and Apps
Hey all,

I just found this awesome new virtual movie theater demo. I'm not the developer, but he's already made the demo available on his site, though its all in Korean! I don't speak/read Korean, so I used Google translate to read the docs. Here's links to his site and demo:

Site:
http://uxground.com/

Demo:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6-3MLD_Wbqea1lNWTVDQ3dybUE/edit

From what I gather, the only way to play a file is if it's an .avi file called 'movie' placed in the same folder as the app. Obviously this is rather limiting, but hopefully he's working on a fix. Right-click brings up a menu where u can pick any seat in the theater, as well as choose to play 2D or 3D (SBS) content! Works really well, and the theater looks great. He's even got the light coming from the projector if u turn around. 360 controller moves u around, but doesn't seem to bring up the menu or ability to sit down.

Looks like he's also working on a (free!) horror game called "Nine Stones". Haven't seen either of these mentioned in these threads so I thought I'd share my findings. Enjoy!

Comments

• metulskimetulski Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Great. Works Perfect even wiht Full HD, wmv and 3D SBS Files
  • IGameArtIGameArt Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    I actually downloaded this earlier today, dont have my rift yet but i'm super stoked to be watching all my movies on a HUGE screen when my rift arrives in the next week or two :P
  • LeonBrazilLeonBrazil Posts: 18
    This is super cool, but I could only get a 2d avi to work, couldn't get any SBS 3d MKV's even by renaming them.

Also I had no sound. I guess this is still work in progress, but excited to try it out, it feels like I am sat in a big empty cinema.

I'll keep my eyes open for any updates on this.

Thanks for sharing the link.
  • EnnuinerDogEnnuinerDog Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2013
    The quality of the cinema itself is great. It really feels like being in one. I couldn't be happier with the first VR Cinema!

It runs no codecs so expect videos requiring them to have no video or audio or both. I can read Korean and it says in the guide that 3D videos are possible too so long as they work in side-by-side.

At the end of the readme, he says that the UI for selecting what file to load isn't supported yet so for the meantime, we have to name videos "movie". As of now, it only supports .avi.
  • adriendodadriendod Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sounds great, can't wait to try this!
  • anthonyp01anthonyp01 Posts: 14
    This is really great, but .avi is such a redundant format now. Would be great if it accepted different formats.
    Creative Director at CMSi & occasional freelance graphic designer
    http://www.door15studio.com
  • swluswlu Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    - LeonBrazil You can't just rename an mkv file to avi, you'd have to actually convert it. All avi files I played had working sound, so I'm not sure what your problem is there.

- wavefunction84 Thanks for the help in translation. I got in touch with the dev in Korea so hopefully he'll stop by here and keep us updated.
  • anmoldanmold Posts: 4 Oculus Start Member
    Hi.
    I am that guy who made this app. Thank you all for your responses.
    I don't speak English very well. so I can't give you many imformation about app.
    Soon, I will make english manual with the help of others. I think you guys already know how to use.
    I am working next version.

- To support next movie files(wmv, mkv, mp4)
    - The file browser to find movie files in app.
    - Some option to dim the lights.

I think it will take two weeks. Please expect the next update. :)
  • LathspeLLLathspeLL Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    You are great! We are waiting for the next version! Welcome to the forums.
  • evil1evil1 Posts: 51
    Brain Burst
    Thanks Anmold, this is good.

The file selector and file format playback would be awesome. Maybe use the VLC integration like that used in ORplayer?

Then maybe stuff like screen size selection, 180 degree screen, Over/under 3D support :=)
    @anmold

Awesome!! I shall keep checking back. It is very cool. Can't wait to try out a bunch of my 3D mkv's.

I am itching to watch the Hobbit in 3D, but I may hold for a couple of weeks to see it in your cinema. 8)

Fantastic stuff.
    Just tried Django Unchained and the audio worked fine.
    Must have been something up with Pineapple Express that I tried last night.

Converting a 3D Mkv to try out.
  • danworlddanworld Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Wow, this is very well done. This will be a great demo for people. It's very impressive and they can just sit there and enjoy the amazing VR.
    Brain Burst
    anmold wrote:
    Hi.
    I am that guy who made this app. Thank you all for your responses.
    I don't speak English very well. so I can't give you many imformation about app.
    Soon, I will make english manual with the help of others. I think you guys already know how to use.
    I am working next version.

- To support next movie files(wmv, mkv, mp4)
    - The file browser to find movie files in app.
    - Some option to dim the lights.

I think it will take two weeks. Please expect the next update. :)

수고하셨어요. Looking forward to seeing the rest!
  • SteelClawzSteelClawz Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    nice job. I tried it and want to point out a couple things. It plays AVI fine, and you can get it to play any other file type by just renaming the whole movie file to Movie.avi , yes u have to change the mpg, or mkv to avi, or it wont work. But this is where the problem is , mkv movies play choppy, and so did mp4. So i think whatever movie player your using, it needs more codecs or something.

I know this is a demo, but next you should implement a place to open a movie

All in all Great job
  • TitshelTitshel Posts: 2
    Hello!

I downloaded everything and the program works, but I can not load any movie (not even putting test)

Where I have to put it? As load?

thanks!
    Brain Burst
    Titshel wrote:
    Hello!

I downloaded everything and the program works, but I can not load any movie (not even putting test)

Where I have to put it? As load?

thanks!

It has to be an .avi and it has to be titled "movie" and put in the same location as the executable (delete the other movie.avi)
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    This is REALLY, REALLY cool!

I also found the menu screen to be quite buggy, sometimes button pressing doesn't work, or you have to click multiple times to pause or start or swap seats?

www.ir-ltd.net
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    ** copied this from my mtbs3d post on this topic **

The demo is a virtual theater. There are others in progress by members on here that are going to have even more impressive features, however there is something that really stuck out at me about this demo.

Forget that it's another theater/video player. What blows my mind about this demo, probably more so than any demo I've tried yet is that due to it's perfect recreation of scale and environment it really fools the brain into feeling like you are at an actual theater. It has a great little user interface too, pulled up by right-clicking. This is a must try for anyone with a Rift dev kit.

Download from http://uxground.com/ Press the projects tab. It opened in Google drive for me but just do file - save to download locally.

Just download the demo, overwrite movie.avi in the main folder with any .avi movie you have on your local drive (it's really awesome better if you have a 3D SBS avi movie).

If you watch a 3D movie aside from the low pixel resolution of the current Rift it's in my opinion better than 3D theatre experience due to the perfect separation of the images.

I'll provide a couple of SBS sample movie clips you can try at http://dotalore.com/SBSclips.zip
    (Please only download this file if you have a Rift, they won't be much use outside of this demo and are only a couple of minutes long.)

You can download more form youtube (filter for 3D content) using VLC to download the file and Pazera mp4 to avi converter to convert it into an AVI file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU2erJtDZuc

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/mp4-to-avi-converter/

EDIT: mkv people, try the pazera converter and let me know if it helps for you.
  • holophone3dholophone3d Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Definitely very well done. The scale is perfect and very convincing. I feel like there needs to be some adjustment to the 3d convergence on SBS content - I can't quite pin point it - but the 3d films aren't as comfortable in 3d as the movie environment is. Just my 2 cents. Overall, very very cool! :D
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    It would be very cool to be able to customize or add in the old Cinema idents from the 70's, 80's, 90's in (copyright issues no doubt) like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7I9AuNH9M&feature=player_detailpage#t=763s

www.ir-ltd.net
  • VamplifireVamplifire Posts: 24
    Infinite wrote:
    It would be very cool to be able to customize or add in the old Cinema idents from the 70's, 80's, 90's in (copyright issues no doubt) like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7I9AuNH9M&feature=player_detailpage#t=763s

I'm sure the finished product will have a playlist that you can add those in. Maybe even a Trailer option that uses apple or yahoo trailers.
  • matteo210matteo210 Posts: 29
    i'm also having problems with the demo. It loads fine and the menu works but the cinema screen is always white, can't seem to find the movie. I have tried with the included movie.avi, with several of my avi files renamed to movie.avi and put in the exec directory, and even with some avi downloaded from other users that said it was working for them. I am running win 7 64 bit, even tried to run the app in admin mode but i've never managed to see anything more than a white screen in the cinema. i don't have my rift yet.
  • PinglesPingles Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    Win 7 64 here as well and it runs fine for me except I get no sound from the movie. I can exit and run the clip in Windows and I have sound. But no sound in the theater.

But I just have to comment that when you sit down and look over at the seat next to you it is a surreal feeling. It is just perfectly scaled. A fantastic implementation of the Rift.
  • TboneTbone Posts: 321
    Art3mis
    No sound here either. I tried the sample clips that someone zipped up. The video plays fine, however. Can't wait to see it on the Rift tonight!
    fasig2016.jpg
    The Furious Angels
    - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
  • MrPapillonMrPapillon Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Ah the light is baked. But I assume that it would be hard to get something dynamic working with Unity. Maybe some graphics tricks with some projected texture can help.
    Apart from that, it is awesome. I can't wait to try with the commercial version of the Rift with better resolution.
  • jd123jd123 Posts: 29
    Anyone know why i just get a black screen even using sample video...Im using a pretty old windows computer running vista (have a newer mac) any ideas? thanks
  • LaserschwertLaserschwert Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I feel like there needs to be some adjustment to the 3d convergence on SBS content - I can't quite pin point it - but the 3d films aren't as comfortable in 3d as the movie environment is.
    Actually I noticed something feeling "off" in 2D mode as well (especially with fast movement in the video). It's like the left and right eye's are slightly out of sync...

But the feeling of scale is really perfect.
  • roculus99roculus99 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    This completely tricks my brain into believing I am in a movie theater after watching for a while. Wow.
  • geekmastergeekmaster Posts: 2,866
    Nexus 6
    jd123 wrote:
    Anyone know why i just get a black screen even using sample video...Im using a pretty old windows computer running vista (have a newer mac) any ideas? thanks
    The symptom you describe can be caused by bad (or missing) codecs. Try installing (or reinstalling) a different codec pack. I usually install these:

CCCP: http://www.cccp-project.net/
    K-Lite: http://codecguide.com/