New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[DK1/2] AeonAlpha

rupyrupy Posts: 517
Brain Burst
edited February 2016 in Showcase
aeon.svg
"It's like Homeworld in first person."

2.gif

Lowpoly multiplayer space shooter, for high framerate and zero simulator sickness.

Added a chat to http://aeonalpha.com so you can have it opened in one tab and hear when someone else goes to this page so we can try and have a multiplayer session. This means if you want to play browse to http://aeonalpha.com first an see if someone is in the chat there first.

Instructions:
    -
Disable Aero on Win: Right click desktop, Personalize, Select "Windows 7 Basic" Theme.
- Disable force vSync: Aeon should render at 2xHz FPS.
- Uses 0.4.4:
    - Switch to extended display mode. -
Keep the Configuration Utility open.
- For DK2: rotate screen to 1920x1080 like all other "extended" demos.

- To launch double click bin/aeon.jar
- IPD Config: hold 9-key until crosses diverge, then press 8-key until crosses converge.
- Controls: Arrow keys and A, S and W.
- Press R to reset view.

Download (This also works without Rift, so you can play with friends that don't own a Rift)
Readme
aeon.svg
Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.

Comments

• maxhillemaxhille Posts: 1
    Does not work for me. I stopped the 0.4 service. I just get a window without stereo on my primary screen.
  • rupyrupy Posts: 517
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2014
    Did you switch to extended display mode?

I added remote debug for this, so if you can try again, I will see what goes wrong.

It will patch automatically, you don't have to redownload.
    aeon.svg
    Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS.
    Brain Burst
    The problem might be that you need to install the Microsoft VS2010 C++ redists (both x86 and x64) from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    Ok, I think I fixed it, sometimes the 0.3.2 driver reports a real DK2 as being not real. Now I just look at the Product Name so it should work for everyone. Let me know!
    aeon.svg
  • ad2003ad2003 Posts: 196
    ok works now! Portrait Mode.
    My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU
    A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de
    Brain Burst
    Ah, sweet! Thanks for letting me know!
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    It seems some of you failing to run the game because Java can't load the JRift (and/or other) dependencies:

The only way around that is to create a run.bat file with these contents in the aeon folder:
    "PATH\TO\YOUR\java" -Djava.library.path=bin -classpath "bin\aeon.jar;lib\jinput.jar;lib\lwjgl.jar;lib\lwjgl_util.jar;lib\json.jar;lib\mp3.jar;lib\freetts.jar;lib\jrift.jar" client.Aeon
    pause

After replacing the PATH\TO\YOUR with your path, f.ex. C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

And double clicking that to run Aeon.
    aeon.svg
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Chrome says the file is malicious and has blocked me from downloading.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    Chrome always complains. Using Internet Explorer for downloading my malware.
    Brain Burst
    Chrome says the file is malicious and has blocked me from downloading.

Does http://rupy.se/aeon.zip work?
    aeon.svg
  • hymanatorhymanator Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Does the download contain .bat files with the .zip file? Those can be flagged as malicious.
    Brain Burst
    Nope, you have to create it yourself if you have trouble double clicking bin/aeon.jar.

I think the res/talk/mbrola.exe I use for "the voice" is the culprit here.
    aeon.svg
  • GrahamHGrahamH Posts: 72
    Chrome always complains. Using Internet Explorer for downloading my malware.

I think you should sell the concept to microsoft .. A whole new branding for IE.

"Interent Explorer: THE best for malware downloads"

:)
    ====================
    London ...
    or whereever I feel like being in my Rift.
    Brain Burst
    Patch released:

I noticed that on my 750Ti the game renders at 1000 FPS which causes the rendering delta to fluctuate so I capped the sync to 300 FPS.

Also rotated the rendering to 1920x1080 so it works the same way as other extended apps.
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    Added a chat to http://aeonalpha.com so you can have it opened in one tab and hear when someone else goes to this page so we can try and have a multiplayer session. This means if you want to play browse to http://aeonalpha.com first an see if someone is in the chat there first.
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    You guys need to stop forcing vSync.
    This game renders at 250 FPS on a Intel 4000 HD.
    This is an extract of the user FPS from the last couple of days:
    2798328107645222545 11/09 13:38 300 VR 
    3109564995611732247 13/09 22:52 300 VR 
    3270553253964175851 09/09 18:05 298 VR 
    3512771104996638668 11/09 22:11 75 VR 
    4262376612338828061 12/09 06:20 60 VR 
    490979811929904906 11/09 04:25 75 VR 
    6144882540596340337 15/09 16:04 75 VR 
    6691764785237902795 15/09 21:34 60 VR 
    7426382302560259088 14/09 21:43 300 VR 
    7604981736169729691 11/09 23:49 60 VR 
    7848949165951959728 14/09 18:24 75 VR 
    8113618767863192644 13/09 21:48 300 VR 
    9182273550069794243 14/09 08:17 231 VR 
    9210961163722582454 14/09 00:55 75 VR

Half of you are getting sick for no reason!
    Please try to turn vSync off and compare!
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2015
    New TTS engine, you need to re-download everything if you have the old version. Edit: Ingame voice chat with spaceship filter should now punch through UDP properly.
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2015
    Added barrel and chromatic aberration distortion. Edit: Don't forget to turn Aero off!
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    Added super-sampling and 0.4.4 integration, but you need to keep the config utility open.

Linux and OSX should work, not tested yet though.

OSX works, but the rendering gets cropped by the OSX OpenGL implementation (I think the super sample is cropped to the screen size), also there is judder probably caused by some OSX "feature" similar to Aero on Windows. vSync gets turned off properly; actually I can't get OSX to use vSync at all. I think the compositor in OSX is inducing the vSync problem.

EDIT: The super sampling problem can be solved by setting the screens to duplicate and the vSync issue can be worked around like so.

Linux rendering works fine but you need .drirc file with vblank_mode=0 XML to unlock vSync and the tracker is broken or really hard to get to work. Also the performance is lightyears from windows.

Now we know why Oculus and Valve has dropped Linux and Mac support.

Unfortunately since there are binary changes you need to download the whole 27.5MB zip again.
    aeon.svg
    Brain Burst
    I patched the game with my adaptive "double-screen-Hz" FPS solution.

If you try it you will almost get a better experience than 0.8 with Async Timewarp, Late Latching and Direct Rendering.
    Except tearing and ghosting which will be solved in the CV/Vive screens (global update) and/or next gen screens (no ghosting).

Why?

Because when you render two frames per Hz of the screen, the last frame is as close to the photons as you can be, in this case a latency of 6.6 ms for the DK2 and 5,5 ms for the CV1.

Until we either get screens that show frames when they are received or can ask the screen when the next frame will be shown; this is as good as it gets.

To try:

- Download everything you need from aeonalpha.com.
    - Reinstall Runtime 0.4.4. (will try to merge Stellas jRift 0.8 that came with Minecrift sometime this fall can't access direct mode monitor from LWJGL, the Vive will support extended so I'm switching)
    - Install Java 1.5+.
    - Disable Aero and vSync.
    - Keep the config utility window open.
    - Double click aeon/bin/aeon.jar.
    aeon.svg