cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Gen. XBOX reveal on Tuesday... Maybe OR compatibility?

KingK76
Protege
I'm just putting this out there... On Tuesday May 21, 2013 @ 9:00am PDT the Next Generation XBOX will be revealed. The PS4 has already had it's big curtain pull back in February and not a word of anything VR related. I would be very happy to see Palmer walk out on that stage Tuesday morning to announce the Oculus Rift will be supported by the new XBOX. Does anyone else share this sentiment? I think that an American company would be more likely to make the deal with Oculus as Sony being a Japanese company would likely source any VR hardware by there own company or a Japanese firm (not that there's anything wrong with that... lol). Anyway I think it would be huge for Oculus to be on board with the new XBOX right out of the gate and it would really send the message that VR is here to stay! Plus the Kinect 2.0 is shipping with every next gen XBOX and that would be an amazing input device for the Rift. The word is the latency has been reduced and the new camera is 1080p with a higher FOV (the current Kinect is 640x480). I'm quite interested in what goes down Tuesday.
113 REPLIES 113

captaintrips
Explorer
Wouldn't hold your breath... But its a nice optimistic approach you've got there.

Crespo80
Explorer
It's almost impossible such a partnership could be announced at the launch of the new console, but I'm very very optimistic about the Rift being supported by 2015 by the new xbox (and later by the PS4), it's just a matter of time!

michealv
Explorer
You guys sure are optimistic that the future consoles will be able to run games at at least 60fps lol.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )

Crespo80
Explorer
Well, all the games on the next generation consoles will be running at 60fps, that's for sure, maybe the resolution will not always be FullHD, like Battlefield 4 that seems it will come in a 60fps 720p format on PS4 and next xbox.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure this generation of consoles, being a PC by all means, will surely be sort of "upgradable", there will be newer and more powerful console every 2/3 years with the same architecture, so the game developers will not have to develop games for different machines (like it is now for example for the PS3 and the PS4/PC), they'll just develop one single game that will suit every platform PC/PS4/xbox (with minor tweaks) and then optimize it for different console powers (say PS4gen1, PS4gen2, xbox2013, xbox2016 etc.) just like they do when optimizing them for different PC hardwares, but with the great advantage of having just a handful of standard boxes with known hardware, instead of thousands of different PC combinations!
I think the desktop as we know it will accelerate its decline and motherboards/videocards/CPU manufacturers will slowly begin to stop selling hardware to consumers and focus on professional market.
In ten years, there will not be any need for a custom game PC, or any desktop PC at all, we'll be using console for that purpose, and every other sort of wearable mini computer for everything else :mrgreen:

nellus
Honored Guest
"crespo80" wrote:
cut...:

60 fps 720p?
eh no my friend, they told that all game 'll run at 1080p, than it's almost impossible a 60fps v-sync on.
let's look Killzone 4. 1080p 30 fps with more effect and post processing in half size (720)

"crespo80" wrote:
I'm very very optimistic about the Rift being supported by 2015 by the new xbox (and later by the PS4), it's just a matter of time!

i think that Ms will put his personal Visor on xbox-infinity. 😄

non per fare l'uccello del malaugurio eh! :mrgreen:

Crespo80
Explorer
"nellus" wrote:

they told that all game 'll run at 1080p

Yeah, and they'll all run at 1080p, just like they all run at 1080p on today's PS3 or xbox360, upscaled 😄 but internally they'll render at lower resolutions, but they'll look better than today because they'll use way better AA

nellus
Honored Guest
"crespo80" wrote:
"nellus" wrote:

they told that all game 'll run at 1080p

Yeah, and they'll all run at 1080p, just like they all run at 1080p on today's PS3 or xbox360, upscaled 😄 but internally they'll render at lower resolutions, but they'll look better than today because they'll use way better AA

no no i mean native 1080p.
there was a war on past-gen on 720p, there will be war on 1080p.

But if Software houses'll implement a Oculus version 720p (with low quality effect and post process).... fingers crossed

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
"crespo80" wrote:
Anyway, I'm pretty sure this generation of consoles, being a PC by all means, will surely be sort of "upgradable" there will be newer and more powerful console every 2/3 years with the same architecture, so the game developers will not have to develop games for different machines (like it is now for example for the PS3 and the PS4/PC), they'll just develop one single game that will suit every platform PC/PS4/xbox (with minor tweaks) and then optimize it for different console powers (say PS4gen1, PS4gen2, xbox2013, xbox2016 etc.) just like they do when optimizing them for different PC hardwares

cant see this happening otherwise just use a PC, the reason for the console is the closed platform its not an upgradeable PC

but ya be good if OR came to PS4

Jacky
Honored Guest
I think Sony will be the first who supports the rift.
And nellus is right, there will be a native 1080p resolution for all games.
They only said that there will be no 4k support for games ^^

And the reason why I think that Sony will support the rift?

https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/294530025380802560

Greets 🙂