cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to watch 3d movies?

wildone106
Honored Guest
I downloaded 'VR Cinema' app and when I load a movie into it, its showing the split screen side by side inside the virtual theater whilst looking thru the Oculus, so obviously it doesnt work or..what am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to just watch a 3d movie with the Rift?
70 REPLIES 70

Gateshot
Explorer
You have to pull up the menu and select the 3D SBS option. I would walk you through it but I already deleted all my DK1 apps. I think you have to hit space bar or enter, then you get the menu overlay. Look for a box that's says 2D or something like that and click on it.

wildone106
Honored Guest
Ok thanks very much I'll try it!

wildone106
Honored Guest
Unfortunately was a complete mess. best I got where 2 images side by side or kinda cross faded/in 1 eye or something. Head tracking did not work either. I'll see if theres another app out there *sigh*

Gateshot
Explorer
Are you using DK1 or DK2? This program has not been updated for DK2 yet.

Were you able to find the menu and adjust it? Heres a picture, its down in the bottom right corner. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/_ziSraxZBrU/maxresdefault.jpg

Your other options would be Riftmax and possibly VR player. I haven't used VR player for anything other than the stripper 360 video :lol: Riftmax is great, it has alot more features than VR player, but its also a tad more complicated.

Neither of those are DK2 yet either tho.

roculus99
Protege
Is there any way to watch 3D movies with the DK2? I don't think Infinity Drive-In support 3D.

wildone106
Honored Guest
DK2 and yep I found the menu thanks to you, it just didn't get the images how they needed to be but it was close.

ErichMoraga
Protege
"wildone106" wrote:
I downloaded 'VR Cinema' app... Is there a better way to just watch a 3d movie with the Rift?

VR Player (in VLC mode) works much better for me since its versatility allows for a huge variety of adjustment...
http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/

I own both DK1 & DK2, and it wasn't until I got my DK2 that I really needed to use the extra options. Here are most of the important settings I utilized to get rid of chromatic aberrations, pincushion/ratio issues, headaches, nausea, etc. when viewing 3D/SBS videos...

Media
Format > Side by side
Projection > Plane

Device
Layout > Side by side
Distortion > Barrel

Tools > Settings
General > Neck height: .43
Display > Horizontal offset: 18 / Vertical offset: 0 / FOV: 115
Projections > Current Projection: Plane / Ratio: 1.7
Distortions > Barrel > Factor: 1.4 / X Center: .5 / Y Center: .5 / Blue Offset: 0.0256 / Red Offset: -0.0168

I'm sure everyone will need to make minor adjustments to best suit their personal needs.
Note: I have attached a zipped .json preset file that should import most of these important settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have made changes in vr player according to the ones you have provided. now what do i do. i ran in extended mode, went into vrplayer. nothing works. no tracking. i heard i need to transfer the head tracking files but i have no idea how to do that. how do i even get a video to run?

exin
Honored Guest
"ErichMoraga" wrote:
"wildone106" wrote:
I downloaded 'VR Cinema' app... Is there a better way to just watch a 3d movie with the Rift?

VR Player (in VLC mode) works much better for me since its versatility allows for a huge variety of adjustment...
http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/

I own both DK1 & DK2, and it wasn't until I got my DK2 that I really needed to use the extra options. Here are most of the important settings I utilized to get rid of chromatic aberrations, pincushion/ratio issues, headaches, nausea, etc. when viewing 3D/SBS videos...

Media
Format > Side by side
Projection > Plane

Device
Layout > Side by side
Distortion > Barrel

Tools > Settings
General > Neck height: .43
Display > Horizontal offset: 18 / Vertical offset: 0 / FOV: 115
Projections > Current Projection: Plane / Ratio: 1.7
Distortions > Barrel > Factor: 1.4 / X Center: .5 / Y Center: .5 / Blue Offset: 0.0256 / Red Offset: -0.0168

I'm sure everyone will need to make minor adjustments to best suit their personal needs.
Note: I have attached a zipped .json preset file that should import most of these important settings.

Had VR player up and running after some tinkering, was watchable but still a bit wonky looking. Your settings helped immensely! With the updated DK2 plugin (with positional tracking) this is awesome, I probably will never watch movies any other way again lol. Thanks 🙂