cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

None-developers buying the development kits...

Chaoss
Expert Protege
I can understand how diehard hardcore enthusiasts, hardware hackers, places like ifixit and collectors would buy or get sent the Oculus Rift development kits to tinker with as who could resist that temptation. But on the order page it says this is strictly development hardware intended for developers to create content and it might be rough around the edges, so I'd like to know how so many of the latest development kits (DK2's) have found their way into consumers hands? these are not consumers who are getting into development or hobbyists toying with Unity, these are strictly gamers and have no interest in content creation. Do said people order their kits from another web site or do they somehow miss the big tick box that you see twice that says it's developer hardware only and to wait for the consumer version?
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
54 REPLIES 54

Gizmotweak
Explorer
Wait what?

Non developers are buying development hardware?

When did this start happening?

I am shocked...SHOCKED...and if it were not for this thread I would never have known about it.
This space available for advertising.

cerulianbaloo
Honored Guest
So what's the frustration exactly? Are you upset at all the non devs purchasing cause you haven't received yours? Or is this something more subtle like irritation at all the posts of it not meeting expectations etc?

Chaoss
Expert Protege
"cerulianbaloo" wrote:
So what's the frustration exactly? Are you upset at all the non devs purchasing cause you haven't received yours? Or is this something more subtle like irritation at all the posts of it not meeting expectations etc?

No I have mine right here (got it on Tuesday!) but if lots of consumers are buying the DK2 doesn't that both damage Oculus' reputation as this is not consumer ready hardware or software (the consumers who did buy the DK2 might think that this is as good as it gets) and leave less kits to actual developers who might need the DK2's to create content with but now have to wait potentially months to get one while also delaying the consumer version by several long months as the developers that might have had content/games ready don't as they had to wait for their kits?
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

kvick
Honored Guest
I personally find this kind of annoying as well, since I can't really test my project until I get the hardware, I have to just assume it'll work until I can confirm it with the real thing. But it's a decision Oculus decided to make to sell it to anyone willing to buy, and I respect their choice. Just because someone doesn't create content yet doesn't mean that it won't inspire someone to learn to use UDK or Unity.

Until I get my kit I'll just keep working on all the aspects I can, which is a massive list as it is, so logically, it's fine, emotionally, a tad annoying :P.

museumsteve
Protege
I'm pretty sure this has been covered time and again 😐

GalaxyDollVR
Honored Guest
"Chaoss" wrote:
"cerulianbaloo" wrote:

No I have mine right here (got it on Tuesday!) but if lots of consumers are buying the DK2 doesn't that both damage Oculus' reputation as this is not consumer ready hardware or software (the consumers who did buy the DK2 might think that this is as good as it gets) and leave less kits to actual developers who might need the DK2's to create content with but now have to wait potentially months to get one while also delaying the consumer version by several long months as the developers that might have had content/games ready don't as they had to wait for their kits?

Wow! That is 1 long run-on sentence! :shock:
This topic is a waste of your time, but I guess you needed to vent. Oculus knows good and well, that, 50,000 developers did not order these devices. That's there for legal matters, more than likely. Maybe they could've set up a protocol for authentic devs to get theirs' first, but they didn't. It's a good thing YouTubers are snatching them up. It gets the word out to a bigger audience. Devs need to be faster to the draw. Woo-pahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

treebolt
Honored Guest
I believe if VR is the future, it doesn't matter if all DK2 orders get shipped next week or next month. If VR experiences are the future (I believe they are), it won't matter if non-developers are buying the kit for fun. I don't think the future of this technology will be affected by this number.

cerulianbaloo
Honored Guest
"Chaoss" wrote:
"cerulianbaloo" wrote:

I agree that it seems a bit counter-intuitive to open the floodgates to everybody when in their words it's supposed to be for having the most content available as possible in time for CV1 launch, but I think once the hurdles with the initial order explosion are taken care of/shipped then most devs wanting to develop will have theirs in hand. We do know that there are VIPs (devs) out there that got DK2s ahead of others, so at least Oculus is sorta prioritizing for certain parties. As an enthusiast of course I'm biased in saying I'm glad its open to all, cause if it weren't I probably wouldn't have gotten a taste of VR until 2015/16 at the earliest. I've had some incredible experiences with just the dk1 that were almost spiritual in their effect on me, and I'm glad as hell something like this even exists at an affordable consumer level in my lifetime. Despite my personal experiences I can see how this distribution method hinders devs in their projects. Like someone else said here, at the end of the day it's the decision Oculus made when they created the kickstarter, and it's one that's likely not going to change, so we all may as well accept it and realize that things will likely be a lot smoother in a month or two when most will have their kits 😄

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
There are surly idiots buying DK2, but they are a fraction of the total. And consumers aren't really buying DK2. I'm not very concerned.

Tech enthusiasts, yes. I see nothing wrong with that, although I do think maybe real developers should have priority in the first batch, and I'm sure they shipped DK2 first to actual studios. In the end everyone will have a DK2 that want.

Then there are non-developing developers. I'm a programmer, designer, work in interactive media, and I've done 3D work before. I see a lot of potential in VR, and I'm contemplating a few projects. Am I a developer? Well, yes, but I'm not actively developing a project currently, although I've familiarized myself with the SDK. I got the rift from my company, which is looking into this, and the device is time-shared between many people.

Having a Rift is all about seeing the potential, convincing yourself and others that this is the future, and making the decisions to invest in the right project. I think it's equally important that potential developers get the rift as current developers.

Going about and branding certain people here as "consumers" is really stupid. You simply have no idea what that person is doing or not doing with his device or will be doing. It's time wasting witch-hunt.