cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the rift look like to people with one eye?

crazychainsaw
Honored Guest
just curious on the subject considering iv seen a couple youtube comments asking the same and my grandfather also only has vision in one eye. I know it won't work for a immersed 3d effect obviously but is there any difference than just looking at a normal screen?

anyone with experience on this would be greatly appreciated
21 REPLIES 21

soylentcola
Honored Guest
I'd imagine it would look just like looking at a regular screen (albeit one that fills most of your FOV and has head tracking, etc.) Each eye sees the same image from a slightly different angle to simulate depth so a single eye would just see one angle.

If you have a dev kit, close one eye and you'll get a pretty good idea (basically it's the same thing without depth).

KydDynoMyte
Honored Guest
I wonder if you should measure from the center of nose to center of pupil and double it for IPD so looking straight stays natural? Or it might not matter.

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"crazychainsaw" wrote:
just curious on the subject considering iv seen a couple youtube comments asking the same and my grandfather also only has vision in one eye. I know it won't work for a immersed 3d effect obviously but is there any difference than just looking at a normal screen?

Just checked with Cyber, and it'd be like you and soylentcola said. It'll be a little deteriorated and disoriented for that person but still a fun experience.
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

perry
Honored Guest
There are a LOT of depth cues (probably most of them) that come from parallax, which you get just fine with one eye.

If you really want to know... why not just close one eye? 😉

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
"crazychainsaw" wrote:

You could probably find out yourself by closing 1 eye. As the DK2 has position tracking this should help one eyed peoples depth perception from head movement.

I dont know if many apps allow you to save gpu speed by turning off one eye, it would also be theoretically possible to double the frame rate by re rograming the firmware of the display to use only one half of the screen,

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"crazychainsaw" wrote:

Obviously it is a huge difference from just looking at a screen. You are inside a virtual world looking around. With the DK2 you can move your head right up next to virtual objects like they were really there and examine them from every angle. It would be as 3D as the real world is to people with one eye. Positional tracking makes things seem 3D even without stereopsis.

Lollypop
Honored Guest
I remember trying out that hack for the WI and PC virtual tracking years ago, it was quite Impressive at the time,thanks Jonny

henleyb
Protege
I wonder (hear me out here) if for single eyed people, switching the view for one eye quickly enough between left and right eye would allow the brain to 'see' real 3d again? I wonder if it would adapt naturally to that or if it would just be a confusing mess..

Nisei
Protege
A person with only 1 eye can't see stereoscopic depth. My dad's lost an eye when he was a kid and he's never been able to enjoy my View Master reels, stereo slides and 3D glasses. Period!
But people with 1 eye accustom themselves to see depth by slightly moving their head. If you move your head sideways you'll see nearby objects shifting more than distant objects. Of course this doesn't work for 3D glasses since there's no head tracking but the rift can do this. So people with one eye will experience it much different than looking at a 2D monitor.