cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Issues with Multi-Monitor Multi-Videocard setup (nVidia)

JonnyCache
Honored Guest
Hey guys! Here are a few issues I was able to identify while setting up my DK2. Most of these seem specific to my hardware setup and I've found ways to work around them, but I figured it would be useful to share my findings. Hopefully this helps out a few folks having similar problems or maybe generates some fresh bugs for the database.

All issues were tested against the "Oculus World Demo" provided in the 0.4.0 SDK (excellent debug features in there, thanks so much for the effort!) with the 340.52 nVidia drivers, 2.11 DK2 firmware and the following hardware:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
32768MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (two cards installed pushing 4 monitors and the DK2)

1) For direct HMD access to work, it needs to be connected to the same video card as the PCs primary monitor. Plugging the rift into a card that does not have a monitor designated as "Primary" will prevent the Rift from turning on when a direct to rift executable is started.

2) In direct HMD access mode, the Oculus Rift seems to inherit its refresh rate from the lowest refreshing monitor on the same video card. This means hooking a Rift to a card with a monitor that has a max refresh of 60hz will limit the Rift to a vsync'd frame rate of 60fps.

3) With vsync and "Mirror to Window" enabled, dragging the mirrored window around forces the rift to render at the refresh rate of the lowest refreshing monitor the mirrored window overlaps with. Turning off Mirror to Window causes the frame rate to jump back up to 75.0 fps.

Sorry if these are duplicates of other known issues. I tried digging around, but couldn't find anything that quite lined up with what I'm seeing. If you'd like a full dump from dxdiag please let me know and I'll email it to you. 😄
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K; ASUS Sabertooth X79; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (*2); 32768MB RAM; Window 7 x64 SP1
7 REPLIES 7

bluescrn
Honored Guest
Hmmm, I've not been able to get Direct mode working at all with more than one monitor attached.

Works OK with one monitor and the Rift connected to my primary card (GTX780), but if I connect a second monitor either to my secondary card (GTX570) or on-board graphics output, the Rift display won't turn on.

(It works in 'extend desktop' mode with one or more extra monitors attached, it's just direct mode that seems problematic)

JonnyCache
Honored Guest
I think you might have found something new! I'll give that a try as soon as I get home and post the results. I was intentionally connecting my rift to a video card that had only one other monitor to reduce the load on the card and hopefully improve rift performance. Nice catch! 🙂

Edit: My rig has one monitor and the DK2 on the first 780 card (DVI and the Rift's HDMI), and three monitors on the second 780 card (two DVI's and an HDMI).
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K; ASUS Sabertooth X79; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (*2); 32768MB RAM; Window 7 x64 SP1

JonnyCache
Honored Guest
Finally home! 😄

"bluescrn" wrote:
Hmmm, I've not been able to get Direct mode working at all with more than one monitor attached.

I tried the DK2 with two monitors hooked up to the primary card (two DVI monitor connections and the Rift HDMI) and I'm having no problem getting direct HMD access to work. In 0.4.1(Yay! Chromatic aberration is so much better!) both the Oculus Configuration Utility's demo scene and the Oculus World Demo load up direct to HMD properly.

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing all the issues I originally listed occurring in 0.4.1 😐

In the "NVIDIA Control Panel", under "3D Settings", what do you have set in "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" for "SLI configuration"? Mine is set to "Activate all displays" and "Auto-Select" for PhysX settings. I know you don't have twin cards, so I'm wondering if that's the source of the different behaviors. :?:

DanceM
Protege
"bluescrn" wrote:
I've not been able to get Direct mode working at all with more than one monitor attached.

Works OK with one monitor and the Rift connected to my primary card (GTX780), but if I connect a second monitor either to my secondary card (GTX570) or on-board graphics output, the Rift display won't turn on.

Same here. Direct HDM works ONLY when ONE videocard is using, even if there two monitors on it. If two videocards active or more - black screen & yellow LED on DK2.

Config: i7-3930K 4.4Ghz, 64Gb RAM, GTX TITAN x3 (SLI off), 4 monitors, DK2 fw 2.11, SDK 0.4.1, Windows 8.1 x64

Btw, found such thing, maybe it will give some ideas:
- all monitors disabled except those who on a primary videocard;
- run Demo Scene in Direct HDM mode, it works on DK2 and I see window with it on a primary screen;
- while demo is running, activating all other monitors;
- demo continue to work in window, but picture is friezed on the DK2 screen;
- closing demo window, picture disappearing from DK2, it becomes black as usual.

JonnyCache
Honored Guest
Just and update regarding this issue. With SDK 0.4.4 and the 347.25 nVidia graphics drivers, all problems I've been having with my DK2 on the same card as my primary monitor have vanished. 😄

However, if I move the DK2 to the HDMI port on the second card I get the following error message:

There is a problem with your Rift configuration.
Interfering software is preventing the Rift from activating. Loaded UMD
is reported as 'nvwgf2um.dll'

After the error message is displayed, an error log appears (attached), and the configuration utility crashes.

Some happy news is with this Driver-SDK pairing performance is pretty great in general. I'm also finally able to work in UE4 again with build 4.7 preview 4 (I was having the same 24fps in an empty level issue as "Unreal Engine 4 Rift framerate issues" https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7016).

I'm currently seeing some really strange issues with some unity demos running at less then a frame per second, but I haven't been able to verify the deatils of the SDK version they were built with so this may be a legacy problem (a couple of examples are UnityChanCRSoculus1.31 and From_Ashes-pc, but Black Suit Red runs perfectly).

I'll post a report later if I can get some good info on the issue.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The port you use can make a difference. It may be that you just need to use the primary card ports.

For the slow 1fps performance, make sure you have Aero turned On.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JonnyCache
Honored Guest
Thanks for the suggestions Cyber! 😄

I'll try turning Areo ON once I get home. I've had it turned off for a long time due to the one frame buffering (causing latency) issue from back in the DK1/TF2 days.

As for the primary/secondary card stuff, it's not blocking me or effecting my work flow at all. I just wanted to let you guys know of a possible issue and update you regarding the improvements in my experience.