New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Unofficial "black smear correction" (Unity Package inside)

drashdrash Posts: 2,833
Trinity
edited March 2015 in Support
I have not yet heard any complaints about the way I approached "black smear correction" in Titans of Space DK2, and it seems to be fairly effective as a temporary solution until Oculus can provide a workaround/solution as part of the SDK/hardware itself. Even so, I'm not claiming that this approach is ideal in any way.

Below is a Unity package containing a simplified version of the black smear correction I am using, which essentially is just a brightness and contrast adjustment. The default values are what I'm using in Titans of Space, but you're free to fiddle with this to see if you can find something more optimal for your own scenes.

Download link.

Simply import it into your project and inside the BlackSmearCorrection folder you will find a README.txt that contains short instructions on how to use.

Hope it helps!
TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png

Comments

• AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    Tried the latest version of Titans yesterday, and the blacksmear correction was perfect. More than I dared to hope could be achieved. The only improvement could be no blacksmear issue at all in hardware, imo.
  • YorickYorick Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for this!
  • Thank you so much for sharing, very helpful!
  • CubicleNinjasCubicleNinjas Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you Drash! :D
  • FallenPlanetFallenPlanet Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    This post has just made my morning!

Drash your a star! Its been the one thing plaguing both my current projects, well, one of the main things. Back to DX11 not displaying on the rift!
    Affected - The Horror Experience - DK2 Now OUT! Download on Oculus Share
    http://www.fallenplanetstudios.com
  • Thank you SO much!
    This needs to be more visible!
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    yes - this should be listed among the official downloads, because it really makes such a big difference!!

thank you so much for sharing this Drash! I can see the stars now as they should be :)
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    I used the script in a fresh project - and I can not figure out why, but the Rift stays black when I use it.
    I use deferred rendering and DX11, but I do use the same in a different project where it works fine.
    So I am completely at a loss - maybe you encountered it before?
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • MockarutanMockarutan Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Everything is very white for me and the adjustable values does not change anything. Any idea?
    Left without the correction, right with it.
    2n7pm9z.png
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,833
    Trinity
    Gerald wrote:
    I used the script in a fresh project - and I can not figure out why, but the Rift stays black when I use it.
    I use deferred rendering and DX11, but I do use the same in a different project where it works fine.
    So I am completely at a loss - maybe you encountered it before?
    Good question. I think that deferred rendering + 0.4.2 (?) + certain image effects still have issues. Is it possible that your other project had a different version of Unity or a different version of SDK?
    Mockarutan wrote:
    Everything is very white for me and the adjustable values does not change anything. Any idea?
    Left without the correction, right with it.
    It really does look like the contrast is being lowered too much / brightened too much in your example, moreso than the default values. I'm not sure why your adjustments aren't doing anything. If you want, feel free to send me a link to a sample project (with sensitive stuff stripped out) via PM and I can take a quick look.
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • MockarutanMockarutan Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Haha, I'm stupid. I did not realize that you needed to turn the effect on and of again to change the values. It works now! But it did not fix my problem. I think I have some weird shader doing wired stuff to my lightning.
  • DProfendinerDProfendiner Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Can you tell me which SDK Version / Unity Version you are using?
    I tried it with 0.4.3 & 4.6.1, but had the problem (depending on which GameObject i place the BlackSmearCorrection.cs) that the screen stays black or the head movement is slowed down massively.
  • jreisamjreisam Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 2017
    Hi guys, I have a Unity mobile project for Gear VR and just updated from Unity 5.5 to 5.6.2, and this patch just doesn't work anymore, it makes my viewport render 4 horizontal split-screens, instead of the regular 2 (while in play mode with VR supported enabled). Does anyone have noticed same problem after an upgrade ? Any clue.. ty!