New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[RELEASED] MaxVR Oculus Rift Video Player - DK2

Comments

• hargabytehargabyte Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    So this works great for me. My only issue is chromatic abberation. Is there plans to add setting to adjust it? VRplayer is stuttery and drops frams but it has chromatic adjustments for blue and red. With those 2 sliders I can nearly eliminate the chromatic abberation completely. Would love to be able to do this in MaxVR
  • nskbionskbio Posts: 3
    Hey,

I bought MaxVR yesterday and the usual 1080p Half SBS stuff works fine.

A few questions / observations (I'm using 0.5.5):
    • Full SBS or Full Over/Under videos are displayed with a wrong aspect ratio. SBS seems stretched, O/U squeezed (e.g. Big Buck Bunny).
    • MaxVR only seems able to handle 24fps? 30 or 60 fps videos (Big Buck Bunny) are stuttering with a <24fps framerate. (SVP like upscaling to 75fps would be a killer feature!)
    • Are various distortion options (dome, barrel, ...) like in whirligig planned? Or better yet a preset like in VRplayer?
    • Can I toggle low persistence on/off?

Thanks!
  • gigajoshgigajosh Posts: 13
    Brain Burst
    This is just a quick post for anyone having problems playing certain files, especially 3D SBS MKV files.
    I was not able to play 3D SBS MKV files in MaxVR, despite having the LAV filters installed (which I thought should have been enough). It was extra frustrating because those files would play fine in KMPlayer and VLC, but of course they use internal codecs. So it was a native codec issue.
    I went on a huge debugging mission, using the K-Lite Codec Pack's Codec Tweak Tool, Sysinternals Process Monitor and stuff. Very loooooong.
    Then I just installed the K-Lite Codec Pack, Basic edition (v10.6.5) and, well, it solved my problem :oops:
    Perhaps obvious to the seasoned movie watcher, but I went off codec packs a while ago, due to negative experiences with codec overload.. anyway, this time it was a good idea! Just watched a bit of Avatar in 3D :D (likey curved screen ;))
    So K-Lite Codec pack Basic FTW!
    - I used compltely default installation of K-Lite Codec pack btw
    - Also, my OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Adios
  • CarandiruCarandiru Posts: 229
    Hiro Protagonist
    I can't figure out how to show you this, but let me do my best to explain.

When there are colors on the screen, bright and all lit up, gorgeous. I'm having an issue when there are dark movie scene. If I close my left and right eye independently, the shadows are being displayed differently. Almost as if there are different frames of the movie on each eye.

So what ends up happening is that things look...off. As if my eyes are cross-eyed, but ONLY on dark scenes. Anything I can provide to help you? I tried to get it on camera but the effect is so subtle (but very noticeable).

I have had a look at a couple of really dark movies and I can't really see what you seeing. However I'll keep looking.
    http://www.supersinfulsilicon.com/ supersinfulsilicon - software
    Home of the MaxVR Oculus Rift Video Player

https://twitter.com/Carandiru
    Hiro Protagonist
    hargabyte wrote:
    So this works great for me. My only issue is chromatic abberation. Is there plans to add setting to adjust it? VRplayer is stuttery and drops frams but it has chromatic adjustments for blue and red. With those 2 sliders I can nearly eliminate the chromatic abberation completely. Would love to be able to do this in MaxVR

I'm going to wait for an update from Oculus for the Chromatic Abberation fix. Should have come out a long time ago!!!

Hiro Protagonist
    nskbio wrote:
    Hey,

I bought MaxVR yesterday and the usual 1080p Half SBS stuff works fine.

A few questions / observations (I'm using 0.5.5):
    • Full SBS or Full Over/Under videos are displayed with a wrong aspect ratio. SBS seems stretched, O/U squeezed (e.g. Big Buck Bunny).
    • MaxVR only seems able to handle 24fps? 30 or 60 fps videos (Big Buck Bunny) are stuttering with a <24fps framerate. (SVP like upscaling to 75fps would be a killer feature!)
    • Are various distortion options (dome, barrel, ...) like in whirligig planned? Or better yet a preset like in VRplayer?
    • Can I toggle low persistence on/off?

Thanks!

I'm not sure the aspect ratio is incorrect - I scale the surface that the video is "drawn" on by the aspect ratio based off of the dimensions of the video file. I did look into this however and I'm going todo some more comparisons with other video players - cause I can't even see whats wrong any more lol. So bear with my needs more investigation.

Downloading that Big Buck Bunny - gonna check out the performance problems you have described.

Will only have the distortion preset made for the Oculus Rift. However more "projections" will be coming!

No toggle low persistence! Not exactly sure why you would want to turn it off!

Cheers!

• nskbionskbio Posts: 3
    Carandiru wrote:
    I scale the surface that the video is "drawn" on by the aspect ratio based off of the dimensions of the video file.

I guess that's the issue then. A full side-by-side (or over-under) video is sized 3840x1080 (or 1920x2160). In the case of BBB (O/U) you get an almost square surface for the video. That should be a simple fix? New hotkey toggling "Half" or "Full" 3D mode.
    Carandiru wrote:
    Will only have the distortion preset made for the Oculus Rift. However more "projections" will be coming!

Compatibility with certain 180° head tracking video productions could be a good sales pitch ;)
    Carandiru wrote:
    No toggle low persistence! Not exactly sure why you would want to turn it off!

Low persistence comes at the cost of image brightness. That tradeoff is well worth the reduced motion blur in most VR applications, but I don't know about movie players, since head movement is minimal here. Here one might prefer full brightness / contrast.
  • SteveO9937SteveO9937 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    I was able to capture the brightness differences on left vs. right eye in another video, so this wasn't specific to just one movie. See below - notice how you can see more of the snake head.

Left eye: http://imgur.com/6IwZzNI
    Right eye: http://imgur.com/YSxFF02

The effect is so subtle, but that slight variance causes the 3D effect to feel way off. Like if something is in your face blocking your view. Windows 7, 64-bit.
  • jwvanderbeckjwvanderbeck Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Still wondering if this supports .SSIF files for 3d bluray playback.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Still wondering if this supports .SSIF files for 3d bluray playback.

No sorry I looked into this and LAV filters does not decode SSIF.
    if you know of a free SSIF decoder let me know.

Hiro Protagonist
    I was able to capture the brightness differences on left vs. right eye in another video, so this wasn't specific to just one movie. See below - notice how you can see more of the snake head.

The effect is so subtle, but that slight variance causes the 3D effect to feel way off. Like if something is in your face blocking your view. Windows 7, 64-bit.

This has got to be a Rift display issue. I can't seem to see it on the mirrored side at all, but it's obvious in the Rift.

EDIT: Scratch that, it may be a damn movie issue. Is this supposed to look this way? (look at the teeth) http://imgur.com/1i5eDuR
  • trialobitetrialobite Posts: 42
    Brain Burst

This has got to be a Rift display issue. I can't seem to see it on the mirrored side at all, but it's obvious in the Rift.

EDIT: Scratch that, it may be a damn movie issue. Is this supposed to look this way? (look at the teeth) http://imgur.com/1i5eDuR

Your note in the edit is most likely closest to the root of the problem. You are definitely not the only person who is going to experience this. When a movie is converted from a Blu ray (~40gb) source to smaller 8-10gb files for download, much of the data is necessarily lost in order to achieve the smaller file-size. I have no clue how the exact algorithms work, but the general idea is to take areas where the pixels are of a similar color and convert them into larger squares of color. Instead of storing data for 16 pixels that are slightly different shades of very dark gray, you can assign a 4x4 grid as 'black' and cut down tremendously on the size.

Darker scenes usually show more obvious compression artifacts, because inherently there is less variance between colors in a night scene than in a scene that takes place on a brightly lit day.

This is an important process, crucial for streaming and downloading movies over modern broadband networks. And while the algorithms have been improved over time with newer codecs, smaller file sizes obviously mean less quality. When a compression algorithm is set to work on a side-by-side 3d movie file, sometimes they group bind certain groups of pixels in the left-eye view to one shade of gray, and the corresponding pixels in the right-eye view to a slightly different shade of gray. In darker scenes (or any scene that is relatively monochromatic) this can happen over large areas. I believe this is what you're noticing. This is not rift exclusive or exclusive to this app. It happens on 3DTVs, monitors, and projectors as well with the same files. It may be more apparent in the rift due to the very high contrast of the AMOLED screen.

Also of note though not likely to be the issue here... Sometimes, especially in movies filmed in native 3D, there is a mismatch that's inherent to the actual film. For whatever reason the 2 cameras/lenses were not set to the exact same ISO value, exposure, etc and they appear slightly different in each eye. Sometimes these takes make it into the final cut. Luckily, this is relatively rare in newer Hollywood movies. If I remember correctly, the 2008 Journey to the Center of the Earth, released a year before Avatar, had quite a few scenes where this was a problem.

So most likely you're just seeing compression artifacts that are magnified on the magnified, high-contrast screen inside the rift. If you're using highly compressed movies that are 1-2gb like a YIFY encode, this is going to be much worse. For this reason, I don't recommend viewing anything compressed to less than 8GB on the rift. I've tried a few and the artifacts just create too much variance between the views. If anyone with more technical knowledge wants to chime in with any corrections please do as I am merely a digital film enthusiast, not a programmer :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    alexdfolk wrote:
    So most likely you're just seeing compression artifacts that are magnified on the magnified, high-contrast screen inside the rift. If you're using highly compressed movies that are 1-2gb like a YIFY encode, this is going to be much worse. For this reason, I don't recommend viewing anything compressed to less than 8GB on the rift. I've tried a few and the artifacts just create too much variance between the views. If anyone with more technical knowledge wants to chime in with any corrections please do as I am merely a digital film enthusiast, not a programmer :)

Yep, I'm thinking your spot on with this. I really wish there was a way for us to decode blurays on fly. Isn't there some kind of crazy licensing fee for this?

Even more - Oculus is definitely going to have to figure this out if they expect the average consumer to watch movies in the Rift, or else they're going to create a mob of pirates on CV1 release.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Gumroad Customers - Some of you are clicking "Do Not Contact". This prevents you from getting the latest updates of MaxVR. You will not receive emails for product updates. Please don't check this option on your receipt / checkout process. For those of you that have done this please contact me via email or Gumroad directly to have this changed.

• BloodletBloodlet Posts: 736
    3Jane
    edited August 2014
    I think I'm going to need help with this one :?

I purchased MaxVR today to try as it seems to have the best reviews for a basic player, which is all I was looking for.
    This is a whole new area for me as I've just been playing dvd's and BD's from disk until now and not needed to transfer/convert to file. (I'm on rural internet so have never even downloaded a film as the time it would take is laughable!!).
    I used a free program called MakeMKV to convert from disk to MKV file and it worked fine, MaxVR played perfectly in 2D and I'm very happy with that. :D
    Unfortunately I'm having problems with 3d Blu rays. when trying to play in 3d SBS I just get one image split between both lenses. ( [like][this] ) not ( [like this][like this] ) as it should be.
    I've tried everything I can think of. Running Direst to rift, extended, extended and primary. Played with all the settings on LAV filters, Uninstalled them and installed K-lite instead as suggest in a previous post. All of which still worked but giving the same result every time. Yes I'm running win7 but don't think this is the issue.

I've come to the conclusion I'm either transferring/converting the wrong files (but grabbed the largest ones) or missing an important file or the software I'm using isn't doing the job properly.

If I'm just doing something really stupid please feel free to point that out, like I said this is all new to me. ;)

Any suggestions on a good transfer/conversion program to use or any help would be gratefully appreciated as I've spent all day on this now. :roll:

EDIT: I'm definitely doing something stupid. I just downloaded a short 3d SBS test video and it worked perfectly. I guess my blu rays aren't in SBS format, which means I don't have a clue how to watch them in 3d on MaxVR. :cry:
  • mathewbeallmathewbeall Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This is what I used - and it worked out of the box for me.

Google "Pavtube BDMagic"

Matt
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bloodlet wrote:
    I think I'm going to need help with this one :?

I purchased MaxVR today to try as it seems to have the best reviews for a basic player, which is all I was looking for.
    This is a whole new area for me as I've just been playing dvd's and BD's from disk until now and not needed to transfer/convert to file. (I'm on rural internet so have never even downloaded a film as the time it would take is laughable!!).
    I used a free program called MakeMKV to convert from disk to MKV file and it worked fine, MaxVR played perfectly in 2D and I'm very happy with that. :D
    Unfortunately I'm having problems with 3d Blu rays. when trying to play in 3d SBS I just get one image split between both lenses. ( [like][this] ) not ( [like this][like this] ) as it should be.
    I've tried everything I can think of. Running Direst to rift, extended, extended and primary. Played with all the settings on LAV filters, Uninstalled them and installed K-lite instead as suggest in a previous post. All of which still worked but giving the same result every time. Yes I'm running win7 but don't think this is the issue.

I've come to the conclusion I'm either transferring/converting the wrong files (but grabbed the largest ones) or missing an important file or the software I'm using isn't doing the job properly.

If I'm just doing something really stupid please feel free to point that out, like I said this is all new to me. ;)

Any suggestions on a good transfer/conversion program to use or any help would be gratefully appreciated as I've spent all day on this now. :roll:

EDIT: I'm definitely doing something stupid. I just downloaded a short 3d SBS test video and it worked perfectly. I guess my blu rays aren't in SBS format, which means I don't have a clue how to watch them in 3d on MaxVR. :cry:

Hey thanks!
    Yeah I've looked into this myself - there are these SSIF files on 3D Blurays. I thought initially I could just support the file extension and viola 3D Blurays in MaxVR. But there is so much more than that. The SSIF is interleaved with one or two other M2TS files on the Bluray disk. LAVFilters doesn't support (that I know of) reading and decoding this.
    So it's a mess.

You need a specific program that will rip a 3D Bluray to a MKV and has the capability to encoded it in SBS Format.
    Then after that the MKV will play in 3D Stereo SBS Mode in MaxVR.

As for programs todo this I'm at a loss for what is a good one. There are some REALLY LONG guides out there but I haven't looked into much past that. If you find a good program let me know - I have some 3D blurays I'd like to convert to SBS MKV's too!

3Jane
    I'm downloading the trial version of Pavtube BDmagic as Mathewbeal kindly suggested. It's going to take another hour though..damn my net connection.

It should allow for SBS encoding. I'll let you know how I get on ;)
  • trialobitetrialobite Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    I've used the program through the last 5 or 6 updates, and every version has crashed when I try to open a movie while in direct-to-rift mode. I've only been able to use the program in extended mode. This isn't a big deal but I'd like to know the cause. This happens with any video file I try, and I've tried a large variety. I have the dump created from the most recent crash but it's too big to upload as an attachment. Carandiru, would you like to review the log for any evidence of what might be causing the problem? If so how can I get it to you?
    Hiro Protagonist
    alexdfolk wrote:
    I've used the program through the last 5 or 6 updates, and every version has crashed when I try to open a movie while in direct-to-rift mode. I've only been able to use the program in extended mode. This isn't a big deal but I'd like to know the cause. This happens with any video file I try, and I've tried a large variety. I have the dump created from the most recent crash but it's too big to upload as an attachment. Carandiru, would you like to review the log for any evidence of what might be causing the problem? If so how can I get it to you?

You bet, the minidump is fairly large. If you want to you can upload it to Mega or some service like that an then email me the link!

• JerwareJerware Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Does positional tracking work for others? I can look in any direction (and the motion is super smooth!), but positional tracking seems to be disabled for me. I can stand up or move side to side and it isn't reflected on screen, quite unlike the Oculus desk test scene. I know the screen is far away so these movements would be subtle, but I don't think I'm getting them at all...?
    3Jane
    Positional tracking works fine for me. I often find myself looking at a black screen on launch, look around to find the logo behind me and have to re-center. Tracking is not subtle as I can completely look away from the screen if I want to. The screen isn't far away either. You can zoom (using MaxVR controls not rift pos tracking) right into it and not see the edges.

I've been trying out Pavtubes BDmagic as I mentioned in a previous post. This is a great encoder program. The free trial is usable but leaves a water mark in the center of the screen in standard 2D, or a small water mark on the outer edges of the screen if using SBS mode. It's not overly intrusive and can be removed if you purchase the full version for $34.
    This software allows you to convert 3d blu rays to SBS or OU in several different file formats. In fact you can convert to a mindboggling variety of formats for use on a vast array of platforms. It is also very easy to use and highlights the main title for conversion.

I tried the 3D SBS MKV conversion, which played fine in MaxVR but at first I was a little disappointed in the reproduction quality and depth of 3D. However I was still running K-Lite codec pack from previous tests. Once I uninstall K-Lite and re-installed LAV filters this greatly improved both film quality and 3D depth (Although it still looked a little flat). I used "Avatar" to test this. I somehow lost the subtitles when they're talking in the native Na'vi language even when using LAV filters, set as recommended on the first page of this thread. This was probably a Pavtube BDmagic option setting mistake by me.

I will continue testing with Pavtubes BDmagic and am going to try all SBS and OU formats to see which gives the best results. This will be a long process as each conversion can take 2-4 hours depending on the length of film. This is due to it converting at a 1:1 ratio so you don't lose any quality. This may also eliminate to shadow problems a previous poster encountered. Apparently Pavtubes full unlocked version has an improved performance and I may consider this option too.
    I'm going to use "Final Destination 5 3D" for future tests as the 3D effects are more prominent (or gimmicky as a previous poster called it).
    I'll keep you updated. ;)

EDIT: On a side note, for ease of use I've now programmed VoiceAttack with the control options for MaxVR. I can now pause, play, change stereo mode and screen mode etc without having to miss a single frame of film :D
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bloodlet wrote:
    Positional tracking works fine for me. I often find myself looking at a black screen on launch, look around to find the logo behind me and have to re-center. Tracking is not subtle as I can completely look away from the screen if I want to. The screen isn't far away either. You can zoom (using MaxVR controls not rift pos tracking) right into it and not see the edges.

To be clear, what you're describing (looking around) isn't positional tracking. That's 3-axis head rotation. This works fine for me too. What doesn't work is spacial positional tracking, where you can lean in different directions.
    3Jane
    edited August 2014
    My mistake Jerware I miss interpreted your post. So yes to rotational tracking, no to positional tracking.
    (by the way, you look familiar, did you do a DK2 Euro Truck set up video on youtube?)

I've finished a full day of testing Pavtubes BDmagic software to rip and encode from Bluray 3D disk to file formats for work with MaxVR.
    I used the first chapter of "Final Destination 5 3D blu ray" including title sequence to test each format for smoothness of playback, image quality and 3D perception.

3D formats available and tested:

MKV SBS - slight stutter but good clarity, 3D a little flat.
    AVI SBS - smooth playback, clarity not great and 3D a little flat.
    MP4 SBS - very smooth playback, good clarity and better 3D depth.
    wmp SBS - not recognized by LAV filter.
    MOV SBS - not recognized by LAV Filter.

MKV OU - still a slight stutter but good clarity and 3D.
    AVI OU - smooth playback, clarity better than SBS but 3D still a little flat.
    MP4 OU - very smooth playback, great clarity and good 3D depth.
    wmp OU - not recognized by LAV Filters.
    MOV OU - not recognized by LAV Filters.

Over all MP4 OU 3D came out tops on all tests.The best results were obtained by converting using the high quality setting and full OU setting. This gave outstanding results in all three areas.
    When played back through MaxVR it gave the best performance and visual quality I've see so far on the DK2's resolution.

All test were done using the trial version of Pavtube BDmagic which leaves a water mark on top middle and bottom middle of the screen in OU format but outside of the main movie viewing area. I will be purchasing the full version at a later date that will remove this.

Hope you find this helpful. ;)

Oh and the subtitle problem I had on "Avatar" was down to me checking the forced subtitle box by mistake. (On the BDmagic settings). leave this unchecked and set the subtitle language to your mother tongue. This will result in subtitles only being displayed when there is a different language being spoken. :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bloodlet wrote:
    Oh and the subtitle problem I had on "Avatar" was down to me checking the forced subtitle box by mistake. leave this unchecked and set the subtitle language to your mother tongue. This will result in subtitles only being displayed when there is a different language being spoken. :)

Thanks for this! Going to rip some of my Blurays tonight and see if I can come up with the same results.
  • mathewbeallmathewbeall Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    When you say "full OU" you mean the full resolution, not the "half" option? Doesn't that make the aspect ratio all messed up?

When I was encoding I was doing the "half" option.

Matt
  • nskbio wrote:
    Compatibility with certain 180° head tracking video productions could be a good sales pitch ;)

Ya I purchased this because VR player is a bit juddery, bit there are no 180 degree projections, so back to VR Player for now. I hope you do add this though, the playback was very smooth.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well I just checked this today and positional tracking is working here. I did the same thing blew up the screen then put the rift on. Leaned forward, backward and side to side.
    Holding my head still/upright, Could see the screen get closer or farther or shift from side to side. Definitely works here so I'm at a total loss why that's not happening for you!.
    Jerware wrote:
    Does positional tracking work for others? I can look in any direction (and the motion is super smooth!), but positional tracking seems to be disabled for me. I can stand up or move side to side and it isn't reflected on screen, quite unlike the Oculus desk test scene. I know the screen is far away so these movements would be subtle, but I don't think I'm getting them at all...?

Hiro Protagonist
    Carandiru wrote:
    Well I just checked this today and positional tracking is working here. I did the same thing blew up the screen then put the rift on. Leaned forward, backward and side to side.
    Holding my head still/upright, Could see the screen get closer or farther or shift from side to side. Definitely works here so I'm at a total loss why that's not happening for you!.

I just tried it again, and it's working! I apologize for the false alarm.
    3Jane
    edited August 2014
    When you say "full OU" you mean the full resolution, not the "half" option? Doesn't that make the aspect ratio all messed up?

When I was encoding I was doing the "half" option.

Matt

I thought the same thing but couldn't see any aspect ratio difference in playback, so I went looking for an answer. Here's how it works. Both half OU and full OU give an individual frame resolution of 1920x1080.
    Half OU splits the sub frames into 1920x540 for each eye and therefore you are not seeing a true HD 3D reproduction. The up scaling algorithms of most 3D HD screens however compensate for this quite well and you still get a good effect. This method is normally used where only HDMI 1.3 is available as the bandwidth doesn't allow for a full OU signal.

HDMI 1.4 has a higher bandwidth capability allowing for Full OU. Each eye sub frame maintains it's full 1920x1080 resolution and is true HD 3D.
    Bluray 3D disks are encoded with true HD 3D (FHD3D) therefore converting to a Full OU file gives the best result. ;)