New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[RELEASED] MaxVR Oculus Rift Video Player - DK2

Comments

• CarandiruCarandiru Posts: 229
    Hiro Protagonist
    Marconi wrote:
    Ok, I'm trying to understand what this is? So it's a virtual cinema where I can watch films as if I'm sat in it?
    So I can put a DVD in it will show up in the oculus? Also you can view 3d movies like Avatar? Or I have to convert the DVD /bluray first??? There seems to a load of confusing video formats??? Where do I start? Can someone explain in simple terms what you have to do? Sorry for the dumb questions in advance :oops:

Ps
    Also what are LAV filters???
    I would really like to experience a 3d film in the rift.
    I don't have a bluray player on my PC so how do i get my bluray films on it? I

Oh boy! Well to watch movies on your computer there are a lot of different formats. The popular ones are MKV, MP3 and AVI. You need a special set of "decoders" and that is what LAV Filters is. You need to install LAV Filters for these video's to be "decoded"

As for blu-rays / dvd's they are not (currently) supported due to licensing needed for a 3D blu-ray decoder, and because MKV is really where it's at for movies on computers.

It is confusing, if you are not familar with these formats I wouldn't recommend starting with MaxVR. You need to get familar with regular video playback software like Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

I tried to make MaxVR as simple as I could, but I can't make it that simple... well maybe someday.
    http://www.supersinfulsilicon.com/ supersinfulsilicon - software
    Home of the MaxVR Oculus Rift Video Player

https://twitter.com/Carandiru
    Hiro Protagonist
    WillHart1 wrote:
    Just a minor comment:

MaxVR, with all of its rapid-fire (and incredible) updates, has now become my favorite go-to Rift video player!

Thank You for All Your Work on This!

Will Hart
    Fullerton, California

Hey thanks!
    I have been doing a lot of updates lately. I'm trying to keep pace with fixing bugs that are reported. Also really like implementing new features and bringing the MaxVR player into a state of awesomeness!

• SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey Carandiru,

unfortunately I still can't get to run the new versions of MaxVR. Like reported: no signal to HMD in direct mode, no fullscreen in extended (no alt+enter). This morning I unpacked the old 0.5.9 version i still had into a fresh directory and alt+enter worked! No luck with a fresh folder for 0.6.6 though. So it broke for me with something that changed in 0.6.0.
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey Carandiru,

unfortunately I still can't get to run the new versions of MaxVR. Like reported: no signal to HMD in direct mode, no fullscreen in extended (no alt+enter). This morning I unpacked the old 0.5.9 version i still had into a fresh directory and alt+enter worked! No luck with a fresh folder for 0.6.6 though. So it broke for me with something that changed in 0.6.0.

Sorry to hear that, can you email me please as I can support you that way. I'll look into what changed to possibly cause this issue. If you are running Windows 7 however, make sure you download the Microsoft / windows update - this can be found on the 1st page of this thread.

• MarconiMarconi Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    Carandiru wrote:
    Marconi wrote:
    Ok, I'm trying to understand what this is? So it's a virtual cinema where I can watch films as if I'm sat in it?
    So I can put a DVD in it will show up in the oculus? Also you can view 3d movies like Avatar? Or I have to convert the DVD /bluray first??? There seems to a load of confusing video formats??? Where do I start? Can someone explain in simple terms what you have to do? Sorry for the dumb questions in advance :oops:

Ps
    Also what are LAV filters???
    I would really like to experience a 3d film in the rift.
    I don't have a bluray player on my PC so how do i get my bluray films on it? I

Oh boy! Well to watch movies on your computer there are a lot of different formats. The popular ones are MKV, MP3 and AVI. You need a special set of "decoders" and that is what LAV Filters is. You need to install LAV Filters for these video's to be "decoded"

As for blu-rays / dvd's they are not (currently) supported due to licensing needed for a 3D blu-ray decoder, and because MKV is really where it's at for movies on computers.

It is confusing, if you are not familar with these formats I wouldn't recommend starting with MaxVR. You need to get familar with regular video playback software like Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

I tried to make MaxVR as simple as I could, but I can't make it that simple... well maybe someday.

I understand now. I come from a mac background so the terminology is a bit different. I I used 'Hanbrake' to convert video to formats that could be used on my mac.(I assume handbrake is PC also)
    So if I ripped one of my blurays to my PC and used a LAV filter to convert it to a format the MaxVr/oculus understands it will work?
    APPLE LOVE iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac
    GTX 970, 16GB, Water-cooled MONSTER.
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    I just discovered MaxVR and it's a great media player. The new SVP integration is fantastic on the DK2, if you have a powerful CPU. These are the features that I'd like to have:

1) Black smearing correction toggle, as someone else already posted before on this thread. It's a must on the DK2.
    2) Audio track switch on the fly, like Media Player Classic.
    3) Subtitle switch on the fly, like Media Player Classic.
    4) File browser inside VR mode.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • Just tried the latest version with SVP support - it's truly amazing.

One question - is there any way to select or disable subtitles yet?
  • witboy83witboy83 Posts: 181
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is it possible to add madVR for video rendering?
    0L74uCv.jpg
    Art3mis
    Ok so i've purchased Max vr and downloaded it. Istalled the LAV filters and downloaded the Bunny film. Got my DK2 ready.
    What do i do now?
    Art3mis
    Ok worked it out! :D
    Hiro Protagonist
    witboy83 wrote:
    Is it possible to add madVR for video rendering?

Would be cool, however no It wont be possible!

• Hello,

Just purchased/installed MaxVR.
    There is only one executable in the folder, "MaxVR.exe". Is it normal ?
    But the big problem is that i have only a black sceen when playing any movie, any format. I can hear the sound but no image...
    I have updated the last codec K-lite, or Shark but no changes.... :(
    Could you help.
    Thanks in advance :)
  • FeenpiahFeenpiah Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    oasice wrote:
    Hello,

But the big problem is that i have only a black sceen when playing any movie, any format. I can hear the sound but no image...
    Could you help.

Open the maxvr.ini file and set the Extended mode to 1. That fixed this exact issue for me.

On an unrelated issue, has anyone else experienced tearing with SVP enabled? The video itself runs perfectly smooth at 75fps, but I get tearing if I move my head around.
    Hiro Protagonist
    oasice wrote:
    Hello,

Could you help.

I would try Direct to HMD setting in the Oculus Configuration tool first and then try to run MaxVR.
    If that doesn't work you can fallback to Extended Mode with exactly what iamgoret has said in the above post.

• RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Carandiru wrote:
    oasice wrote:
    Hello,

Could you help.

I would try Direct to HMD setting in the Oculus Configuration tool first and then try to run MaxVR.
    If that doesn't work you can fallback to Extended Mode with exactly what iamgoret has said in the above post.
    Keep up the excellent work, Carandiru! Loving the consistent updates! :)
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yep, really excellent work! Favorite VR player!
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
  • Hello,

Thank you all for the help, it worked like a charm. Direct Mode or ini file, both worked.
    I didn't thought about that :D
    Wonderfull application, easy and smooth, the two thing that with need to play a movie.
    I have tried several demo application but it wasn't a good experience. Many people give a thumb up to your application.

P.S: The low persistance make a great difference, no blur when head movement.
    I don't understand why the developper doesn't implement this feature in the games/demos...

Well , thank again and keep up the good work. :P
  • SteveO9937SteveO9937 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yep, would like to chime in and say this is by FAR my most favorite movie viewer. I can watch all movies, no problems, and even watch them from a USB stick where I have them all saved. Absolutely love the low overhead and numerous viewing options.

Simple, easy to configure, and it just works.
  • My update wishlist

1. move up and down left right (right now u can only zoom in)
    2. 3d cinema with seats
    3. brightness and contrast settings

that is all

also anyone know why my movies turn really DARK when i have low persistence ON? I have to turn it off otherwise it's too dark >_<
  • HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    I've not tried it but it sound like it's same thing or less than liveviewrift but paid ?
  • SteveO9937SteveO9937 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    HiCZoK wrote:
    I've not tried it but it sound like it's same thing or less than liveviewrift but paid ?

LiveViewRift is waaaay more complicated that this. MaxVR is way easier to use. You just start the app, load a movie, and voila. There aren't tons of settings to mess with, and personally I don't think there needs to be for watching movies.
  • HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    liveview vr is not complicated at all but i think I get Your point. Some automation is ok
    Hiro Protagonist
    neosin wrote:
    My update wishlist

1. move up and down left right (right now u can only zoom in)
    2. 3d cinema with seats
    3. brightness and contrast settings

that is all

also anyone know why my movies turn really DARK when i have low persistence ON? I have to turn it off otherwise it's too dark >_<

Try the up arrow in the latest version - this moves everything above you (laying down mode) hit it again to reset in front.

Scenes will come....

Low persistence in its nature I guess does dim the output in the rift. I'm not sure of the technical details.

Thanks!

• FeenpiahFeenpiah Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    All the tearing issues I had with the last release are gone with the new release, well done.

Movies run perfectly with SVP enabled.

Thanks for the update!
  • mrjazzmrjazz Posts: 366
    LiveViewRift is waaaay more complicated that this. MaxVR is way easier to use. You just start the app, load a movie, and voila. There aren't tons of settings to mess with, and personally I don't think there needs to be for watching movies.
    I'm sorry, but this is non-sense. With LiveViewRift it's the same thing: You start the app, choose your file and press start (you can even just drag'n'drop your file on the app-icon and instantly start a Rift-session). Just having a lot of options doesn't mean you have to use them. The default settings are perfectly adequate to watch an usual movie. And isn't it very convenient to able to browse your files with the Rift on your head by pressing the Tab-key? ;)
    HiCZoK wrote:
    liveview vr is not complicated at all but i think I get Your point. Some automation is ok
    There is no automation in MaxVR. It just doesn't offer you any options. That's all.
    And the screen-distance parameter doesn't work as it should. It only makes the screen smaller or larger, but the distance always stays infinite.
    Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift!
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001
    Hiro Protagonist
    The new update is up for 0.6.9 - you need to install the new Oculus Runtime 0.4.2, remeber to update your firmware!

The picture quality is amazing!

Hiro Protagonist
    mrjazz wrote:
    I'm sorry, but this is non-sense. With LiveViewRift it's the same thing: You start the app, choose your file and press start (you can even just drag'n'drop your file on the app-icon and instantly start a Rift-session). Just having a lot of options doesn't mean you have to use them. The default settings are perfectly adequate to watch an usual movie. And isn't it very convenient to able to browse your files with the Rift on your head by pressing the Tab-key? ;)
    HiCZoK wrote:
    There is no automation in MaxVR. It just doesn't offer you any options. That's all.
    And the screen-distance parameter doesn't work as it should. It only makes the screen smaller or larger, but the distance always stays infinite.

Nothing wrong with LiveViewRift, I've tried it out and it's also very good.

MaxVR is being designed to be simple, yet it's still not feature complete. So a lot of features are yet to be implemented and it takes time. I'm a pretty busy with work and family so I try to work on MaxVR when I can. I get a lot of emails with requests for features and bugs that are found. I try to prioritize bugs and fix them right away, and simple feature requests mostly get implemented soon too. There is a priority feature list in the back of my mind and I want to add them into MaxVR. Scenes, a Video Browser inside the Rift, controller support, etc. I'm trying!

To Clarify, the screen is moved closer or farther away from you with the plus/minus keys. It doesn't scale on the XY axis, rather it moves on the Z axis.

Keep it Simple, Stupid! lol.

• mrjazzmrjazz Posts: 366
    Carandiru wrote:
    To Clarify, the screen is moved closer or farther away from you with the plus/minus keys. It doesn't scale on the XY axis, rather it moves on the Z axis.
    May be, but there is no parallax between the left and right view, so it looks like the screen-size is changing and not the distance. It seems to be the same problem with the time-control widget. It looks cool, but it is totally flat. But interestingly the positional tracking is working correctly. Did you forget to incorporate the EyeRenderDesc[eye].ViewAdjust vector which is responsible for the parallax between the left and right eye?
    Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift!
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Carandiru wrote:
    The new update is up for 0.6.9 - you need to install the new Oculus Runtime 0.4.2, remeber to update your firmware!

The picture quality is amazing!
    Awesome! Can't wait to try this when I get home!
  • sidnisidni Posts: 97
    Brain Burst
    im getting errors running MKV videos.This is the Error I am getting. Can anyone help please :(