cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my rig run it?

Herolord
Protege
I ordered a pc with a 4ghz 8-core fx-8350 processor, 20 gbs of ram, and a 6gb Radeon 7970 video card. It will arrive tomorrow. Will I be able to run Tuscany Demo? Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
Nope. Maybe at 10fps if you're lucky. It won't be an optimal experience at all. I'd be happy to trade my laptop for that though, help you out.

cybereality
Grand Champion
LOL!!!!

Yeah, you will be fine.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

EAPidgeon
Honored Guest
"Herolord" wrote:
I ordered a pc with a 4ghz 8-core fx-8350 processor, 20 gbs of ram, and a 6gb Radeon 7970 video card. It will arrive tomorrow. Will I be able to run Tuscany Demo? Thanks

Yes, however if this is a custom ordered one, you might want to investigate the quality of the power supply in general. I build my own by purchasing individual parts. However generally from what i've seen, many online pre-built order sites often skimp on the power supply and go for cheap low quality models for power supplies.

Herolord
Protege
"EAPidgeon" wrote:
"Herolord" wrote:

Yes, however if this is a custom ordered one, you might want to investigate the quality of the power supply in general. I build my own by purchasing individual parts. However generally from what i've seen, many online pre-built order sites often skimp on the power supply and go for cheap low quality models for power supplies.

I do have a question though. How do I install windows 8 on it? I can purchase windows 8 online as a download, but is the download an iso file that I can make into a bootable disk to install, or is it simply an installer package? Also, can I just download and burn a bootleg copy of windows 8 and use the install key that comes with my legit windows 8 purchase? HALP! Thanks.

DrSnake
Protege
The download will be in ISO format (That is if downloaded from MSDN, it all depends if the source has extracted the iso or not).

You can use any ISO you want (Unless it is a precracked one, avoid those).
Developer of One Secret Fantasy One of the best virtual reality dating games www.onesecretfantasy.com

geekmaster
Protege
Not sure if you can still get it, but there was a Win 8 Pro "upgrade" offer for $15. And other $15 to get the DVDs. I paid the $30 for both the download and the "backup" DVDs for Win8 Pro. And there was a FREE Media Center uprade for too, which was the main difference between the Pro and Ultimate editions.

What is interesting is that the installer for the Win8 upgrade does NOT check for an existing Windows installation, and it will install to an empty hard drive just fine.

Well, techically, you were *supposed* to have recently bought a computer that had Win7 pre-installed on it, and the web form at Microsoft asked for a store and date and computer model (but no serial number). You could get all that information from a walmart ad. :mrgreen:

According to this, that $15 offer is finished:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57571291-75/windows-8-$15-upgrade-registration-ends-thursday/

And according to this, the Win8 Pro upgrade now costs $199:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57566855-75/windows-8-$40-upgrade-deal-ends-today/

I guess that waiting until it is too late can be costly...

DeadlyMaverick
Honored Guest
Ever since I got that email the other day I've had this slow sinking feeling that my Laptop won't be able to effectively run the Rift. It's a Toshiba Satellite, 855.

3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM up to 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
Mobile Intel® HD Graphics 4000 series

It runs current-gen games acceptably well, and has an HDMI port... but I still have this sinking feeling that it's just not going to be enough.

Thoughts?

geekmaster
Protege
"DeadlyMaverick" wrote:
Ever since I got that email the other day I've had this slow sinking feeling that my Laptop won't be able to effectively run the Rift. It's a Toshiba Satellite, 855. ...
Even my Raspberry Pi can "run a Rift". I know that because I wrote and tested a "Rift Pi" demp app. The limiting factor will be which apps can run on your laptop, and how you need to configure those apps for satisfactory performance.

Although the Tuscany demo runs on my HD 4000 HDMI, it has noticable lag compared to my Nvidia card, but it is still interesting and immersive compared to previous VR equipment. Some apps will run fine, and others may need more powerful hardware. You need to decide for yourself what is good enough performance that you want to do it again, which is more important than resolution and framerate and such. The immersion experience is mostly subjective anyway.

alexanderj
Honored Guest
I feel like we should have an OculusVR Forum Bard singing of GeekMasters feats of VR, adding this last bit about running an Oculus Rift from a Raspberry Pi.