cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quake-VR - Redux

stonej
Honored Guest
Hi All,

I thought id post up my first worthy build of a project i'm currently working on.. Quake VR. (Not to be confused with Quake 1 for Rift which is a ported version of the quake engine for the Rift, and a very good one at that).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4az6xkrzl3xw3o/QuakeVR_Win64_v0.0.1.zip?dl=0 Please note this is literally the first build and is therefore in a very early state.

What is Quake VR?
Quake VR is a total remake of the original Quake game within a new Engine (Unity). I am trying to keep it as close to the original game as possible. So my first stage (and what you see here) was to port the original game assets from Quake into Unity and then setup the physics, audio and dynamics to make the game feel as close to the original as possible. The next stage is where we will being to re-imagine the visuals of the game whilst keeping the underlying physics the same.

What's planned?
  • Totally overhauled visuals

• Full VR support (using Hydra controller)

• Motion Controlled FPS rig

Whats in this version?
This build contains the first START level from the original Quake game running in the new engine. i have tried to setup the physics and dynamics as close to the original as i can however its worth noting that as Unity uses a physics system its always going to feel a little different.

I have also setup 1 playable FPS rig using the classic Quake shotgun. (although it needs a fair bit of work to get setup with the Rift currently,especially in terms of its positioning).

Known issues:
  • Only 1 room is playable!

• VR Controls need refinement.

• No Joypad Support.. yet!

• FPS Rig feel like its attached to your chin

• Missing Shaders on Water / Lava

• Fireball missing from Lava

• No Skybox

• Audio / Lighting needs balancing

quakevr-1.JPG
quakevr-2.JPG

Technical Requirements:
  • Controls are currently Mouse and Keys only (WSAD - move, Space - Jump, Shift - Run)

• Windows 64bit required (Win 7 or 😎

• Built using SDK 4.0.1 - Requires DK2 in DIRECT HMD mode.

Id love for people to have a quick play and give any feedback on whether or not the project even interests them and any of your thoughts on the VR related implementation. (Visual are all subject to change so don't let the retro art put you off 😉 even tho i love the original Quake's art direction much more than its sequels)
4 REPLIES 4

ChrissCross
Honored Guest
Trying this out as soon as I get my DK2 (which is probaly tomorrow.. WOOHOO! :))

ryanyth
Honored Guest
Much appreciated, thanks!
I have troubles getting the other Quake 1 project to work, so i hope i can run this.
its also good to have an updated and modernized Quake 1 in VR.

Spielor
Honored Guest
I appreciate the effort and it looks good but it is not allowed to use Quake textures, sounds, models etc. in any other game. A lot of similar projects have been shut down over the years. Unless you plan to recreate everything by yourself you shouldnt waste your time with this. What is the goal of this? Do you just want to recreate quake in a different engine?

Adding Oculus Rift support to an existing engine like DarkPlaces would be a lot easier and would probably give better results than trying to make quake for unity.

stonej
Honored Guest
"Spielor" wrote:
I appreciate the effort and it looks good but it is not allowed to use Quake textures, sounds, models etc. in any other game. A lot of similar projects have been shut down over the years. Unless you plan to recreate everything by yourself you shouldn't waste your time with this. What is the goal of this? Do you just want to recreate quake in a different engine?

Adding Oculus Rift support to an existing engine like DarkPlaces would be a lot easier and would probably give better results than trying to make quake for unity.

Yes the intention is to recreate everything from scratch. The product would never 'ship' with the original quake assets. (Because as i am aware they are not distributable and are only issued under a GPL license). The prototype i've uploaded here is just designed as a base to work from, not an intention as to how it will / might look.

I am an artist by trade (not a programmer) so the VR and engine side isn't really my bag, but something thats more of a side hobby. I have a number of colleagues who want to participate in as well so i'll leave that to them.

The original game was a landmark in 3D first-person shooters at the time, so i felt that it was long overdue a remake with modern visual, technology and controls.