cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea for modifying the oculus rift

khos85
Explorer
I have an idea for modifying the oculus rift, what I notice for DK1 and DK2 is that when you put the headset on you cannot easily see where you keyboard or mouse is....

See an ideas I'm having, Image URL:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwZqye7G21hZRzRKREptX3Ffbm8/edit?usp=sharing

Check out the image / drawing above (lol, you can tell I did not spend much time on it, also not sure how to get it directly intothis post), but it details that just under each eye that there is a small cut away part, this cutaway get replaced with dark transparent plastic (like you see in car windows), then you could, when needed spy through those shaded holes to where your controls are.. then you can at least see where you hands need to go..

Thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally don't like to see any light from outside and I can see it already around my nose when I look downwards. These cutaways would just increase this effect which is a no from me.

erick
Honored Guest
It's not really a new idea. The Chinese made ANTVR HMD had a "Glance Window". I wouldn't recommend getting one though.

mta
Honored Guest
I'm thinking about covering the foam with leather material. The soft kind similar to my closed cup headphones. I can only find the adhesive stuff they use for covering desks which is a bit hard.

khos85
Explorer
"volv88" wrote:
I personally don't like to see any light from outside and I can see it already around my nose when I look downwards. These cutaways would just increase this effect which is a no from me.

It would be a edge about 3-5mm thick and about 2cm wide, made of a very dark shaded material, I do not think light would be a bother, it will help much with finding our keyboard... in fact the rift would need to be modified at all, this can be made as an addon... hm I might get to work on this straight away 🙂 see if it works.

khos85
Explorer
"mta" wrote:
I'm thinking about covering the foam with leather material. The soft kind similar to my closed cup headphones. I can only find the adhesive stuff they use for covering desks which is a bit hard.

Hm that chinese idea looks really cumbersome,
Like I just wrote tot he other post my ideas would be a edge about 3-5mm thick and about 2cm wide, made of a very dark shaded material, I do not think light would be a bother and nothing would be needed to lift up or move out the way to see..

fudspong
Explorer
I thought about this and realised that a webcam pointed at your monitor was the best answer, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4126

Lagahan
Explorer
"fudspong" wrote:
I thought about this and realised that a webcam pointed at your monitor was the best answer, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4126

I still think the "flipping the screen up like a visor" post on there is the best, mainly for dev work though, putting the rift on and off while swapping between code/level design is a major pain in the ass 😛
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

mrcrisp
Protege
"erick" wrote:
It's not really a new idea. The Chinese made ANTVR HMD had a "Glance Window". I wouldn't recommend getting one though.

I don't think it is very practical if it keeps opening and closing like that. :mrgreen:
PC Specs: i7-5820k, 16gb DDR4 2400mhz, MSI gaming mainboard, MSI GTX 980 4gb, Samsung Pro SSD, 2x1tb WD Black HDD, 700w Certified PSU, 3xAcer 27" monitor, 47" TV, Xbox360 Controller, CH Pro HOTAS, Fanatec Wheel+Pedals, Windows 7 64bit.