New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Direct HMD Access not working

carlosguedescarlosguedes Posts: 10
edited December 2015 in General
Hello Guys, Im still facing problem with direct HMD.

My OVR only runs on extend desktop and even trying to execute direct to rift.exe with direct HMD access, the app crashes, the OVR (already being recognized inside the config tool), simply stays on orange... no signal.

When I change to extend desktop, the signal flows to blue.

Do you guys have any direction on what could cause this situation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Still, when i click on demo, it opens a screen in my monitor with the app saying to me to put my glasses because its streaming there, but my OVR keeps with orange light

(In other mode works)
  • one more info is that, if i get the OVR in hands with HMD access even with orange light i can turn it and watch in the monitor...
    so, its working.
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    One trick is, after changing rift modes shut down the config utility, and right click on the tray icon and hit exit, then restart the config utility and try again.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you list your OS and system specs? Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Absolutelly!

I'm running a bootcamp with windows 7 home edition inside a Imac 21.5 mid 2011

2.5 GHZ Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz ddr3
    Amd Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
  • AxulusAxulus Posts: 140
    Same thing happens to me on some apps. It really depends on the app. The recommendation for that is to run in extended desktop mode and try opening the direct to rift.exe and then the other one if that fails, and also try making Rift the primary display if still having issues. Use Bilago's VR game launcher to make it easier: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2dzf5j/beta_unofficial_vr_game_launchermanager_by_bilago/

Failing all that, some apps just simply aren't going to work. The runtime and the SDK compiler is still very buggy at the moment on various systems.

One that works perfectly for me is Titans of Space. Does the direct to rift.exe crash or fail to open on the rift on that one?

Also, are you able to open Oculus Demo scene in Direct HMD access mode?
  • AxulusAxulus Posts: 140
    Absolutelly!

I'm running a bootcamp with windows 7 home edition inside a Imac 21.5 mid 2011

2.5 GHZ Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz ddr3
    Amd Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Why are you running the Rift software on bootcamp? Latest Runtime supports Mac OS. Also, direct HMD access is not yet supported on Mac. I assume it won't work on bootcamp either. That's probably the cause of your issues.
  • FrankmasterFrankmaster Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Hi, I've the same problem.. but my config is:
    ALIENWARE m11x i7processor, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT540M 2GB and Windows7 Ultimate.. I report the same IMac friend's words:

Direct HMD Access not working

Unread postby carlosguedes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:43 pm
    Hello Guys, Im still facing problem with direct HMD.

My OVR only runs on extend desktop and even trying to execute direct to rift.exe with direct HMD access, the app crashes, the OVR (already being recognized inside the config tool), simply stays on orange... no signal.

When I change to extend desktop, the signal flows to blue.

Do you guys have any direction on what could cause this situation?

Thanks!
  • I have the same problem. Frustrating. Even the Demo scene in the configuration utility does not display direct to the headset when HMD is chosen. I have tried restarting the configuration utility as suggested, no help.

Win 7 Home Prem SP1, Intel Core i7 CPU x980 @ 3.33 GHZ, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 5570 graphic card.
  • menixmenix Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same problem here
  • kingzopekingzope Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    Honestly I'm able to get almost every direct to rift demo to work just by creating a shortcut to the exe and including
    -force-d3d11. Plus it guarantees a solid 75 fps for me too. I rarely use extended anymore unless I'm forced or want to record.

i should include that sometimes I have to launch a demo twice because the first time it may crash. No biggie though.
    DK1 Order No: 574XX (US)
    DK2 Order No: GP-1055XXX
    CV1 Order No:6130000XXXXXXX
    Oculus Go
  • TboneTbone Posts: 321
    Art3mis
    Direct to HMD doesn't work for me either. Forcing DirectX11 doesn't help. It always loads up in a window on my main monitor while my Rift stays orange. Extended is the only way I can play anything. Demo scene and Tuscany say "rendering to HMD" in a small window, but there's nothing in the Rift.

I'm on an AMD R9 290 on Windows 8.1 64-bit.
    fasig2016.jpg
    The Furious Angels
    - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
  • well, this is awkward for all of us...

No one has any solution to this problem?
  • floydfreakfloydfreak Posts: 386
    Hiro Protagonist
    I got my dk2 yesterday.

I couldn't even get the demo scene in the Oculus config panel working on direct until I did this... (from another post)
    floydfreak wrote:
    I forgot to mention...
    Something else I discovered. If you can't even get "Show demo scene" (from the Oculus config util) to work in 'Direct mode' - go to tools/rift display mode. Select 'Extend desktop to the HMD' click apply; (Leave this box open) . Turn off the power switch on the rift. Now click on 'Direct HMD access from apps' , apply! Turn rift back on..
    This was the only way I was even able to get the 'demo scene' working direct.. My first encounter with that office table was actually on extended mode.

Everything direct worked fine after that for me too :D

Edit:
    Although I keep having to repeat this process from a re-boot/power on.
  • WilkinWilkin Posts: 159
    Brain Burst
    In my case direct to rift works - but if i change to extended for some demos and back to direct it does not work. Usually it is enough to restart the rift service. Only changing to direct to rift and apply is not enough. If all else fails, i have to set it to direct to rift mode and reboot - then it works everytime. :)

Found that out while demoing stufff to friends, then you usually hopp through many different settings. :)
  • moltonmolton Posts: 388
    Hiro Protagonist
    Direct to Rift is extremely important and needs to work flawlessly for the consumer version of the rift for sure, for now I'll work in extended mode and worry about it later :)

The DK2 is amazing, the lenses are much better and the screen being better size/ resolution is a huge imporvement, but I think the DK2 is less "consumer ready" than the DK1 in the software department, at least right now in that the DK2 software will likely piss a lot of people off. People just don't understand it's not the CV1 yet.
  • TboneTbone Posts: 321
    Art3mis
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting many demos to load up in extended mode, so I'm hoping Oculus has a hotfix for this ASAP...Even with Bilago's VR Game Manager, there's only so many options I can try.
    fasig2016.jpg
    The Furious Angels
    - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
  • moltonmolton Posts: 388
    Hiro Protagonist
    Are you setting the rift up as the primary display in Windows when using it in extended mode in the Rift control Panel? That works really well for most demos, can be a pain in the ass with the rift being your primary display though. If I put the Rift on Extemded mode all the Fullscreen software still goes to the primary display, so the Rift has to be set as primary in Windows AFAIK.

The display cloning the DK1 used was really simple to get working in comparison to the DK2 extended mode, I guess that doesn't work with the DK2 mainly because the portrait orientation of the DK2, which is why direct access will be awesome when all the bugs are worked out. I really like the clone design of the DK1 though for showing non rift wearers the output with barely any extra overhead, if the CV1 was 1920x1080 instead of this 1080x1920 stuff that would work just like the DK1 which I'm kind of hoping for, direct access with slightly lower latency or cloned displays that people not wearing the rift can see.
  • aramaram Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I also can't use it in direct mode, and i have apc with only one graphic card: gtx770
  • Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue on a Windows 8.1, MSI GT70 laptop with GTX780M (optimus). Extended mode works absolutely fine. Direct mode produces an orange light on the HMD with no signal. All direct-to-rift apps that ive tried just crash unfortunately.
  • JaapSchuurmanJaapSchuurman Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem here :-(

My DK2 setup has an ATI R9 290 on top of an Intel i5 (3.4GHz) with 16GB and windows 8.1 (x64)

Extended mode works for displaying and tracking but ofcourse it's a hassle with starting apps (dragging windows between displays while not in VR)

Is it just the apps not working properly with the drivers or is it the drivers that still need work?
  • jvecchijvecchi Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I had the same problem, solved it by setting my 2nd and 3rd monitor to "Disconnect this Display" in windows (8.1) Screen Resolution panel and only having Main monitor (res. irrelevant) active as the rift is in direct mode and doesn't show up. After that I could launch Direct Rift mode by right clicking the DirectToRift.exe and clicking "Open On Oculus Rift".

Try it... report.. Good luck!
  • JaapSchuurmanJaapSchuurman Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the advice. :-)
    I don't have a 2nd (or 3rd) monitor to begin with. Only my main monitor and the Rift.

Or do I understand your advice incorrectly and are you suggesting I should extend my monitor with the Rift (in the rift control panel?) and then disconnect the display (the rift) in the windows screen resolution panel? (and then move back to direct to HMD? in OR Panel?)
  • Everything was working fine for me, WIn 7 x64 with gtx 770.

Now after having to wipe my system and start afresh I cannot get any direct to rift apps to work. The demo scene works and extended works, but all direct to rift apps crash.

There must be an answer to this software wise as it was working for me before with exactly the same components, this is now just a fresh install.
  • justinwellsjustinwells Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Hi guys I'm getting a similar problem I can get most apps to work in extended but some are starting on the main monitor and I'm unable to drag them across as they start maximized. My computer doe's not seem to like setting the rift as primary monitor. so any help would be great.

Although I find it strange that Sightline VR Jam will work but Sightline The Chair displays on my monitor

Just had Porton Pulse working which was cool
  • Does anyone have any helpful advise as to why direct to rift apps would be crashing?

Demo scene works.
    UE4 roller coaster works.
    Dreadhalls works on extended mode.

4th Floor apt direct to rift doesnt work.
    Dreadhalls direct to rift doesnt work.

They were working before on win 7 x64 gtx 770 but after a needed fresh install of win 7 they now do not.

If anyone could please offer some advise I would be very grateful indeed.
  • ScottDCScottDC Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My Rift used to work Direct, but lately I've had to use extended, which is annoying since switching it on often crashes applications when the windows switch.
    Firefox tends to lose all its icons, and Unity 3D just gives me a black screen after switching.
    Maybe it is my dual card setup, investing in a new single card setup soon.

Have tried various things, such as switching modes back and forth.
    One thing I noticed - when the Oculus content appears on the monitor it is very laggy - like 1 fps unless I use -force-d3d11
  • ScottDCScottDC Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Looks like my issue is related to my multi-monitor setup - specifically having a second monitor connected to the second card.
    For a while I was only using a single monitor so I could take advantage of SLI.
    Hopefully a single card that supports three or four monitors will resolve my issue.

This topic seems to be related to my issue: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12225
  • dieseldakotadieseldakota Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Hi guys I'm having an issue with the direct to rift mode not working. I was trying with iracing. It would detect the rift and open up a window on my primary monitor, the head tracking would work but no picture in the rift, light stayed orange. I went to try the demo scene and it crashes the config utility. tried all my other demo's that used to mostly work in direct mode but they all crash as well now.

specs i5 4670K
    8gb 1600 ram
    GTX 760

any ideas or things to try? already tried reinstalling the firmware
  • Yet another direct mode not working for a lo of direct mode apps. I can't get even tried and tested demos to boot up on the Rift and only see them on my monitor. Has anyone worked this out yet?