cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racer (car racing) with the Rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've recently received the Dev Oculus Rift, and have created a version of Racer configured for it out of the box.
You can try it by downloading v0.9.0RC7 at http://www.racer.nl/dl_beta_win.htm

I see a lot of nice applications already that use the Rift, lovely!

Ruud
24 REPLIES 24

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Wow nice! Is that your game? I'll definitely be checking this out tonight.

parzival
Honored Guest
does it work natively with the Xbox360 controller? I tried just using the keyboard and i couldn't figure out the keys, and then when i tried setting the keyboard assignments manually it worked but the Rift head tracking stopped working.

Conz
Explorer
Nice demo, but a lot to do.
A camera for inside the car is missing.
A crash is to intense. The physics is to extreme on highspeed collisions. Have to close my eyes on crashes.

"parzival" wrote:
does it work natively with the Xbox360 controller? I tried just using the keyboard and i couldn't figure out the keys, and then when i tried setting the keyboard assignments manually it worked but the Rift head tracking stopped working.

For any other controller setting you have to edit the "data/controls/oculus_rift.ini" file.
I have added an ini there with a combination for the rift.ini and presets/MS_Sidewinder.ini to have support for rift and my wheel.
If you add a file in "/data/controls/" (the way I did it) you have to change the racer.ini, too.
In my case:
ini
{
; Controls file (new format since v0.5.2 beta 9.4; in data/controls/)
controls=oculus_rift_sidewinder.ini

AusRedNeck
Honored Guest
Ruud, long time no speak mate.

Glad to see Racer is still up and about.

Cheers,
Shane

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Not sure if I need to change some settings or something but this is massively glitched on my PC! Everything shows untextured, there is geometry popping in and out in the left eye view and the colours don't match between left and right eyes.

On top of that you're not doing the barrel warp to correct for the Oculus screen? Either that or I've just missed some settings?

[edit]
Here's what the Rift version looks like for me:

And here's what your previous build looks like:

Also, how come the latest build is nearly twice the size of the previous one?

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Totally freaked out for me. First time I ran it, it was stereo without any warping, but the 3d seemed fine. Ran it again and the warp was there, but there was massive divergence of the image at a distance giving everything a double image.
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

Anonymous
Not applicable
* The Headtracking didnt work
* First the car dont want to start - then starts and crashes. I have no controll over the movement... :cry:

drash
Heroic Explorer
Unzipped, fired up racer.exe, went into graphics options to boost up a few things (like res -> 1080p, draw distance to max, etc), then saved changes, fired up a Quick Race, and got a side-by-side screen without any lens distortion and no headtracking.

Was there something else I needed to do to get this to work? Game looks pretty sweet otherwise and piqued my interest!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

IsoMacintosh
Explorer
"drash" wrote:
Unzipped, fired up racer.exe, went into graphics options to boost up a few things (like res -> 1080p, draw distance to max, etc), then saved changes, fired up a Quick Race, and got a side-by-side screen without any lens distortion and no headtracking.

Was there something else I needed to do to get this to work? Game looks pretty sweet otherwise and piqued my interest!

Op forgot the most important link http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/oculus_rift.htm
also note when you download cars that they are supported in the 0.9 builds.