New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Relief knobs. what setting to use ?

HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
Art3mis
edited September 2014 in General
So I've measured ipd with oculus drivers app 3 times. It is 61.7 I followed the lines until I almost couldnt see it.
I am using b lenses because I am -1,5 diopter on both eyes.

Now, I am not sure what eye relief should i be using. I want highest fov possible. On Dk1, that meant using A lenses close to face, but here I have no idea. What's the word on this ?

Comments

• WirelineWireline Posts: 1,203
    NerveGear
    Ehhh well to be honest, the relief setting in the tool seems to make no difference at all as far as I can tell. In terms of your relief setting for the knobs, you can have them as close as possible to maximise the FOV (will not be peripheral vision-level), however if not wearing glasses, prepare to keep cleaning the damn lenses every five minutes as your eyelashes leave grease marks all over them.

You can try moving them out a little until you get a mix of comfort and picture, but in terms of chromatic aberration and presence, the relief settings make very little difference at all. In my experience it was total placebo - I would set it all the way out, and think "thats better". Then I would go all the way back again, and think the same.

I use the A lenses because my vision is normal, I've not tried the B lenses yet
    EDIT: I just tried the B lenses. Apparently, no difference at all beyond a tendency to fog up more :|
  • I don't think the IPD setting are doing anything at the moment. Hardware is designed for the average distance of 64 and software seems useless at the moment.

Eye relief is whatever you think is best. Don't think it makes any difference to the FOV. I initially assumed closer is better, but it turned out further is better. With them all the way out, not only is it a lot more comfortable, but the focus is much sharper for me. Plus, added bonus, I don't smear my forehead on the lenses every time I place it on.
  • dalingrindalingrin Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    Wireline wrote:
    Ehhh well to be honest, the relief setting in the tool seems to make no difference at all as far as I can tell. In terms of your relief setting for the knobs, you can have them as close as possible to maximise the FOV (will not be peripheral vision-level), however if not wearing glasses, prepare to keep cleaning the damn lenses every five minutes as your eyelashes leave grease marks all over them.

You can try moving them out a little until you get a mix of comfort and picture, but in terms of chromatic aberration and presence, the relief settings make very little difference at all. In my experience it was total placebo - I would set it all the way out, and think "thats better". Then I would go all the way back again, and think the same.

EDIT: I just tried the B lenses. Apparently, no difference at all beyond a tendency to fog up more :|
    Paul33993 wrote:
    I don't think the IPD setting are doing anything at the moment. Hardware is designed for the average distance of 64 and software seems useless at the moment.

Eye relief is whatever you think is best. Don't think it makes any difference to the FOV. I initially assumed closer is better, but it turned out further is better. With them all the way out, not only is it a lot more comfortable, but the focus is much sharper for me. Plus, added bonus, I don't smear my forehead on the lenses every time I place it on.

Both the IPD and the relief settings in software do make a difference. It is easy enough to see by using the built-in desk demo scene and adjusting the settings in real time, no need to exit the demo. IPD changes the distance between the virtual cameras and relief seems to affect zoom/distance.

If you use the wrong IPD then your brain gets the wrong depth information.

I would say there isn't a wrong relief setting. Use whatever is comfortable to you. We all have different facial structures and the relief setting is meant to accommodate this. For me, I have the relief almost exactly in the middle. For someone with a more protruding brow they will probably want it further away. The difference in visible FOV is extremely minimal.
  • I keep the screen the farthest out so I don't see the borders of the screen.
    NerveGear
    dalingrin wrote:

Both the IPD and the relief settings in software do make a difference. It is easy enough to see by using the built-in desk demo scene and adjusting the settings in real time, no need to exit the demo. IPD changes the distance between the virtual cameras and relief seems to affect zoom/distance.

I would say there isn't a wrong relief setting. Use whatever is comfortable to you. We all have different facial structures and the relief setting is meant to accommodate this. For me, I have the relief almost exactly in the middle. For someone with a more protruding brow they will probably want it further away. The difference in visible FOV is extremely minimal.

I won't argue with what you're seeing through yours, but when I try this I don't see a difference, certainly nothing that affects focus, CA, 3D strength etc. I guess its a YMMV :geek:
  • LagahanLagahan Posts: 181
    dalingrin wrote:
    snip
    Seconding this, of course its more perceptable to some, but yeah IPD makes a difference. AFAIK the relief setting in the configuration tool must be set to whatever relief you are actually using to help counter the chromatic aberration, but if you keep both of these synced the actual position is personal preference.
    DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered
    Rigs:
    CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64
    CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Brain Burst
    The DK2 relief settings (on the configuration utility) have no effect that I could tell. I did a screen capture in Tuscany at both extremes and they were identical. I don't see any discernible difference to chromatic aberration either.
    For the physical relief knobs, you should adjust for maximum field of view without smushing your eyes on the lens. This was more important with the DK1. Sadly, with DK2 I can see the edge of the screen at any setting so I just adjust for comfort.
    The IPD settings does affect the demo scene, but it is not that noticeable unless you compare the extremes. It doesn't seem to be used in some of the games and demos though.
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
    The DK2 relief settings (on the configuration utility) have no effect that I could tell. I did a screen capture in Tuscany at both extremes and they were identical. I don't see any discernible difference to chromatic aberration either.
    The IPD settings does affect the demo scene, but it is not that noticeable unless you compare the extremes. It doesn't seem to be used in some of the games and demos though.
    Interesting, these should be making a difference if the SDK is working right. Maybe the implementation is a bit broken in 0.4.1? I know OVR is working on the chomatic aberration so this must be one of the things that needs work.
    Rigs:
    NerveGear
    Related but slightly off topic, did you guys try the CA fix that someone put out there a while back? I think it was a replacement for the Oculus Plugin for use with Unity demos. I tried it, it didn't aliminate CA but seemed less pronounced, so to echo the above it definitely seems something that SHOULD be influenced by software settings. I would be happy if blur at the extremes of view and CA were something that could go away with a patch :)
  • sparkie14sparkie14 Posts: 381
    Nexus 6
    Lagahan wrote:
    Interesting, these should be making a difference if the SDK is working right. Maybe the implementation is a bit broken in 0.4.1? I know OVR is working on the chomatic aberration so this must be one of the things that needs work.

Releif settings wont make a difference with screen capture as its capturing the same image regardless. The releif settings are more for comfort and are calculated with your ipd. Your IPD is the only thing that makes a signicficant difference and again this won't be caputred by screen capture as it will only be noticable looking through the rift.. Set your ipd to max and look through, you will see a difference.
    sparkie14 wrote:
    Releif settings wont make a difference with screen capture as its capturing the same image regardless. The releif settings are more for comfort and are calculated with your ipd.

Well my train of thought as far as the physical relief settings goes is that as the lenses move closer or further away from the screen the CA color divergence will change slightly, like when you move a magnifying glass closer or father away from something. This would need to be countered in the renderer then via the SDK by separating or converging the color channels, using the config utility's known relief setting.

Otherwise yeah relief is just a comfort thing.
    Rigs:
    Nexus 6
    Thats not the case with this as the screen moves at the same time as the lenses so there is no focus in changing the relief its mainly comfort and maybe reduced eye strain.
    sparkie14 wrote:
    Thats not the case with this as the screen moves at the same time as the lenses so there is no focus in changing the relief its mainly comfort and maybe reduced eye strain.
    Derp! You're right! I need more coffee this morning...

Edit: 100 posts... should stop procrastinating at work
    Rigs:
  • dalingrin wrote:
    Wireline wrote:

Paul33993 wrote:
    I don't think the IPD setting are doing anything at the moment. Hardware is designed for the average distance of 64 and software seems useless at the moment.

Fair enough. My IPD is 64. Haven't really needed to mess with settings as a result. But I'd heard enough complaints to believe the software settings weren't implemented yet.
  • HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    sparkie14 wrote:
    But fov should be increasing as, You move screen+optics closer to You eyes, as You see more through lenses. that was the case with dk1
    Nexus 6
    FOV does increase even to the point where you can see the edges of the screen but with less goggle effect. I have mine in 4 away from your eyes so i can only just see edge of screen. Happy medium i think.
    sparkie14 wrote:
    FOV does increase even to the point where you can see the edges of the screen but with less goggle effect. I have mine in 4 away from your eyes so i can only just see edge of screen. Happy medium i think.
    I'll probably do the same, any time I get a peek of the large black bar of the edge of the DK1 screen it really annoys me lol. Goggle effect > Letterbox effect IMO (yet to get DK2 though).
    Rigs:
  • HiCZoK wrote:
    sparkie14 wrote:
    But fov should be increasing as, You move screen+optics closer to You eyes, as You see more through lenses. that was the case with dk1

That was one of the big points about "FOV-Gate". Lucky went to great lengths to explain DK1 and DK2 were much different in that regard. And where-as there were huge fluctuations in FOV depending on how close you smushed your face with DK1, with DK2 it's pretty much the same irregardless. And unless you had your face smashed against DK1, the FOV difference between 1 and 2 isn't very different for most people.

That's why I think people just need to go with whatever works best for them. With it all the way out on mine, I don't get the tunnel affect (which I know what people are talking about... the Sony HMZ-T1 looked like I was viewing my 24 inch monitor through binoculars). And by keeping it fully extended I get great clarity across the screen. When people complain only a small section of the middle of the screen is clear, I wonder where they have the relief. And if they've tried all settings.