cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing Elite:Dangerous using a DK2 on a Laptop

dkellitt
Honored Guest
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro retina 16gb with Geforce GT 750m graphics card. I am trying to find out, before I pay out for the beta, if my laptop (obviously through bootcamp) will be able to play E:D using the oculus rift DK2? Now I am assuming it won't be able to play it on high but i'm hoping it can achieve a decent frame rate on medium or low? Is there anyone out there who has played E:D on their laptop with the OR DK2? is it possible? Please I don't want to hear you need a better graphics card, buy a pc etc etc I know that and intend to buy a custom beast of a PC nearer the release date of the CV1, but until then I have my Macbook.

additional: I have been to this website

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=441&game=Elite:%20Dangerous

which you can put your laptop details in and it tells you if you can play E:D, mine scored very well apparently it can play on high detail on my macbook, however that is not through an OR DK2. So i'm still stuck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're out of luck currently, the 750m will not run E.D. very well with the DK2. There are people with 770s and 780s who have trouble running the game on medium, some on low.

Through future updates you may find improved performance.

Strongground
Honored Guest
Well, what I can tell you, is that on my GT 555M GeForce chip it runs very slow in 1080p and was not playable. I can't compare to your MBP, but I guess if you looked up the specs and already plan on buying it anyway, there's only two choices for you here, no matter what we'll tell you:
1. Buy it now, maybe play it on medium or low settings and enjoy your enthusiast status.
2. Buy it later, along with your gaming rig and play it on ultra settings, having fun then and more spare time until then 😄

Well, I did a combination: Ordered and received my Rift DK2 now, upgraded my rig and got the beta access... Can't really say that I regret it! 😄
Ordered: 2nd of May Shipping destination: Germany Current status: Received!

freehotdawgs
Honored Guest
I can only speak from personal experience, but my desktop PC has an i7-3770K 4.4ghz, 16gb ram, 670gtx OC 2gb vram, installed on a SSD. In 2d I can run ED on all max settings without dropping below 60fps. With the DK2 I have everything set to the lowest settings and I still get judder when I'm in a station.

I have heard that performance can vary wildly with different configurations and have read of people with weaker systems than mine getting better performance. I would not be very optimistic however. You will probably have to wait on getting a gaming desktop PC or maybe when ED is released it will be optimized enough for you to be able to play it. Is it possible that you can play it? Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Wireline
Explorer
I've not been able to find the twitter message, but apparently David Braben said that they were running a Titan Black in order to get the DK2 to run with maximum pretties.

$$$

Selling your grandmother is not wrong when its for science.

dkellitt
Honored Guest
I ended up breaking and buying a rig. I will still use my Macbook pro for Architecture presentations and developing VR, but for gaming I bought this:

Specs:

GPU: MSI GTX 780 ti 3G
CPU: i7 4770K Haswell
MOBO: Maximus Hero VI
MEM: 16GB DDR3 1866 Corsair Vengeance
MON: BenQ 120hz XL2420T Gaming Monitor

Fingers crossed I can play E:D on max settings and it will comfortably see me through the first year of CV1...

Just waiting for my DK2 now..ordered 7th of August though, so I may be waiting some time.