cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus DK2 vs Samsung Gear VR - screen door/resolution

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Does anyone here tried the Oculus DK2 and the Samsung Gear VR.....i want to know if the 2k screen of the Galaxy Note 4 is way better than the FHD screen in the DK2.

Is the SDE less visible.....better than this. .?

23 REPLIES 23

drash
Heroic Explorer
The "2.5K" screen of the GearVR is way better than the picture you posted!

Small details can still look pixelly but it is a significant leap past the DK2. In Titans of Space on GearVR, I cranked up how far you can zoom in on stuff just because the resolution was that much better.

There's definitely still a "screen door", it's just getting harder to notice now.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
Great work Drash. Would be great to have Outerra integrated with you App so you can land on your planets. 🙂
http://www.lightandmagic.co.uk Fantasy becomes Reality

Steve3D
Honored Guest
I hope we will soon be able to try it in stores. ...i already planned to buy the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 now the Gear VR is a must. ...portable virtual reality.... anywhere we want. ..that's really cool.

Welby
Adventurer
The DK 2 is still much better than the screenshot you have posted of the DK 1 screendoor.

It's really different the screendoor of the DK 2 and much less annoying.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Does anyone have a picture of what could look the resolution in a Samsung Gear 4...?

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Is it better than this. ... i think it is DK1 on that video. ..can someone could at least do a similar video with the DK2...

Steve3D
Honored Guest
I found this. ...

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Samsung Gear VR resolution is awesome..!

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
You can see it if you're looking for it, but it's more subtle than the DK2's. It's not as big an improvement as DK2 vs. DK1; I suspect that we'll see diminishing returns as resolution increases further. Still, it's really nice, and switching back to a DK2 feels like a downgrade.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2fcry4/darknet_will_be_a_gear_vr_launch_title/

On the other hand, someone said that SDE in Samsung Gear is still awful, even with 1440p resolution, he even said it's just as bad as DK2. I can't find the link to the site right now.
Anyway - I'm really curious about the truth. I guess it has to be somewhat improved, but I'd like to see a comparison, side-by-side one preferably, so I can know exactly.
Also - I don't think CV1 will use the same display. I think CV1's display will have much less SDE than Gear VR. I might be too optimistic though, so it would be good to know about this.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.