cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blade Runner VR

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
Hey! After only 2 days of working on this, I thought I'd take a short video and show you guys. I ramble a lot about how much I love cozy sci-fi environments, and that all stems from my love of Blade Runner. So I began to make a small detective's office that might reside in such a world.

I've been trying to optimize as much as I can. On a lame old 660ti I mostly average 75fps even while looking out the window. I'm not sure if this new SDK beta did something, but it runs surprisingly smooth for the amount of detail I have out the window!

There's some super unpolished elements here but that will obviously all be fixed before I release it!

-- -- --
8 REPLIES 8

eagleeyez
Protege
That is just fucking cool. You do however have a long way to go but I do like your idea. Did you do that all in Unity and is the art your own? I just love blade runner, well actually who doesn’t? Most certainly keep at it and give a link as soon as you get more finished. I am your fan Nr. 1

VRoom
Honored Guest
Finished or not, it already looks amazing!

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
Thank you guys!

"eagleeyez" wrote:
You do however have a long way to go but I do like your idea. Did you do that all in Unity and is the art your own?

It's a mixture. Some are free fan assets online, some are purchased Unity Asset Store models, and some is just simple geometry that looks fantastic with baked light.

I'm making a lot of textures, though. I'm a hell of a lot better in Photoshop than I am in Blender. I started by creating the Off World banner from scratch in high definition, and even made it a video with interlacing and light static, but that's very hard to see with DK2's resolution + player distance. And frankly a lot of distant buildings are going to be flat - a lack of parallax at that distance means I can optimize by making certain details flat planes. Anything with a view that's supposed to be a quarter as detailed as one in Blade Runner is going to be harder to render smoothly than a closed-off environment. It's been a struggle to get this running at 75fps, but then again, I am on a 3-year-old video card, so guaranteed anyone with a newer card won't have a problem.
-- -- --

lucyferror
Honored Guest
It looks really good. Can't wait to see more. It's my favourite movie and I knew it that finally some day someone will make Blade Runner for Oculus 🙂

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
Thank you! It's my favorite movie too. It's so visually dense and hypnotic. So really I just started making this because I wanted to make something cozy to relax in, but figured there may be other BR fans as well who'd like to try when it's done.
-- -- --

MikeF
Trustee
if you can put in the Bradbury and lay down some vangelis i'll give you money 😄

Looks awesome though, great job on the deco tiles

Marconi
Explorer
"MikeF" wrote:
if you can put in the Bradbury and lay down some vangelis i'll give you money 😄

Looks awesome though, great job on the deco tiles

Got have Vangelis inspired music. Actually, no just Vangelis!
APPLE LOVE iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac GTX 970, 16GB, Water-cooled MONSTER.

9of9
Expert Protege
Oh, this is cool! I was just talking with a friend a couple of days ago about how awesome it would be if someone used Deckard's flat as a reference for a VR diorama. Way to stay ahead of the curve, man 😄