cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Window Manager

mite51
Honored Guest
http://share.myflare.com/8vnmy3

This is something I've been working on for a while and its far enough along that I want to get some feedback. Its a 3D windows manager for the oculus, currently named 3DWM, but I am thinking of calling "WorkSphere". The goal is to re-create the desktop environment in 3D and allow the placement of windows on a virtual sphere around the user, a virtualized multimonitor setup(?). Ideally ( eventually ) a user should be able to work and use windows while using the oculus, hopefully making the oculus able to replace the monitor entirely.

I am happy with the progress so far, but there still a lot of work to do. If you try it out please let me know how it goes. Be sure to read the Notes.txt file included in archive in the link above.

mite51@hotmail.com
J
47 REPLIES 47

mite51
Honored Guest
Seems like it will work in Windows 7, but in extended mode only atm.

MirSar
Honored Guest
Just tested this on Windows 8 Pro x64 and the only thing it currently does (3DWM_Release.exe, 3DWM_Release_BetaMouse_Stereo.exe and 3DWM_Release_Stereo.exe) is to show a very blue screen on my Oculus... That's it 😛
The BetaMouse also locked my mouse so I had to kill the process. (with only keyboard)

The other 2 .exe files did absolutely nothing visible.

I did change and run the .reg file supplied, and I'm pretty sure I have the newest updates for everything from Windows update to Oculus drivers and software.

If this is half of what you say it is, I'm very much looking forward seeing this developed!

(PS: maybe choose another download site, my antivirus went bananas. I spent 15 min scanning your files with virustotal.com before trusting them 😛 )

mite51
Honored Guest
yay, I reply! So the orientation will reset on startup, depending where the headset is you have a good chance of not seeing anything. The secret kung-fu for resetting orientation ( and mouse ) is ctrl+shift+alt. I'll have to look into how to ensure proper orientation on startup.

As for the mouse beta mode, it does lock the mouse to the application window, this is because the "virtual" mouse is using only movement deltas, which might let the real (windows) mouse cursor wander off and interact with things unintentionally. The standard mouse mode will only show the "virtual" mouse when its over the app window, this allows the user to continue to use the real desktop to do things like kill the app. If you use the beta mouse .exe, the best way to kill the app is to find the systray ( ctrl+shift+alt, helps ) and right click the app and close. Its annoying I know but its a bit of a tricky issue, thus the beta tag.

MirSar
Honored Guest
Well I don't think that's the problem here, lemme clarify with a picture 😉

http://imgur.com/dgakruH

That is exactly what I see, no mater where I turn the Rift. I tried you trick with CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and I did see my mouse, but I could not get any widows upp, and when I tried dragging windows over from another screen, it blinked a bit and my mouse alone appeared on the Rift.
Thou I must say I like the blue colour 😛

Spec:
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang XPower II
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820
RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX 16GB
GPU 2x ASUS Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
Rift: DK2

mite51
Honored Guest
Well that is unfortunate. One known issue is that there maybe be problems acquiring the window texture with multiple graphic devices installed, however, even in that case you should see empty window borders. The only time I have see absolutely nothing like that is if there was another instance going that was still running. If you email me maybe I can send you a debug version that will dump out some debug info so that I might be able to track down the problem... I would really appreciate it. My email is mite51@hotmail.com

mite51
Honored Guest
I just realized there is one important thing you may not have done. did you run the. reg file? if so, was the path in the reg file the correct path? I'll have to look at getting rid of that registry entry, it will avoid a potential source of confusion

MirSar
Honored Guest
Yeah I did, but apparently I have forgotten to add the "bin" at the end 😛
It didn't helm much however, I can now see the edge of my windows, and tracking is working. But it's still VERY blue and I can't see the content of the windows nor anything else of my desktop.
I also tried disabling all other GPU's, it didn't do anything at all. Even tried unplugging the physicly xD

mite51
Honored Guest
http://share.myflare.com/NQ4cYh

I have a new build up with lots of improvements and fixes, let me know how it goes, I would really appreciate it. Please read the notes.txt included in the archive.

- tuned the spherical environment to feel a bit more spherical
- ctrl+alt+shift will re-center the oculus, ctrl+alt+down will minimize the app and release the mouse
- fixed some lag spike bugs
- registry setup requirement removed
- fixed some bugs with window selection
- fixed double rendering caption text
- display warning if aero is not enabled

todo
-control panel to live tweak settings
-curved window meshes
-fix issue with initial orientation

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
This sounds very promising! I really like Virtual Desktop, this could be even better, using the whole virtual space.

edit1: I downloaded it but when I unrar the file my Avast antivirus blocks it. It says DWMControl_32.exe infection Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

I guess this is probably a false positive?

edit2: I ran it through Virustotal and it seems to be clean

edit3: All I get is a blue screen on the rift. :cry: