cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worrying amount of problems with DK2

vapofusion
Explorer
I have been having LOTS of problems with my DK2 since I received it, ranging from demo's not working to the latest fun problem, the Rift actually not turning on at all.

I have the small problem of my rift not actually turning on, it has an orange light and is detected in the runtime with the serial for both the rift and camera.

The problem started when I wanted to take my rift to demo at a friends, so I unplugged my rift and packed it away (really, really safe, wrapped in bubble wrap. I ended up not taking the rift anyway and set up the rift when I came home.

I plugged in everything the way I have had it for about a month and booted up the PC, then the rift display stopped turning on, but still showed the orange light and even showed tracking in the demo scene (only on the mirrored display on the other monitor, rift was still off).

I have tried lots of things to fix this, but to no avail 😞

I have tried:
uninstalling/reinstalling oculus runtime
unplugging/plugging cables in at different times/certain cables/in a certain order
restarting computer LOTS
Waiting (someone tried that with a similar problem and it worked :O)
updating firmware

I tried the DK2 on my macbook pro and it works perfect, so there is no problem with the hardware (apart from the usual)

This is really bumming me out Oculus, I'm stuck with this problem and want to get back making my tank game!
I loved the DK2 when I received it but these problems are causing a death by a thousand cuts!

PLEASE HELP!
15 REPLIES 15

vapofusion
Explorer
I forgot to mention, the rift is always in extended mode, I could only get a few games to work at all and even then the performance was crap in direct mode.I believe my problem may lie with how I have amd control center (graphics properties) setup.

The way I have it setup, I have my monitor to do all my normal non-rift stuff and the rift stays turned off, but when I go to play rift games/apps I would have my main monitor disabled and the rift as my primary display.

This allowed me to turn on the rift and have it automatically disable the main monitor and set the rift as main monitor when I turn on the rift!

I thought this was a pretty neat trick, until the display stopped working 😞

Your thoughts would be great, people 🙂

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
Have you tried turnig the headset off, unplugging the HDMI at the back of the PC, plugging it back in and turning the headset back on? That is the only way I get it to work.
http://www.lightandmagic.co.uk Fantasy becomes Reality

vapofusion
Explorer
"Itsinthemind" wrote:
Have you tried turnig the headset off, unplugging the HDMI at the back of the PC, plugging it back in and turning the headset back on? That is the only way I get it to work.

Will give it a try 🙂

vapofusion
Explorer
Gave it a try, Itsinthemind.

It didn't do anything, the rift just did the same as always and sat showing the orange light with no screen on.

Gonna leave it tonight, it's about 2AM!

I have a new joystick arriving tomorrow for E:D 😞 can't believe my rift decided to stop working.

Riftology
Honored Guest
Ive noticed since the last sdk that almost all the time I would never have to set the dk2 to main display, like vorpx for example it automatically plays the game through the rift as a secondary display idunno if it was the new sdk that allowed this but hell yeah im liking it its making things much smoother 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
Is this happening with all software or just specific titles? I assume you have tried the Config Util demo scene and Tuscany?

Have you tried with Direct mode? When it works it's usually the easier option.

Have you updated to the latest firmware and the latest runtime?

Can you list OS and system specs?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

vapofusion
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Is this happening with all software or just specific titles? I assume you have tried the Config Util demo scene and Tuscany?

Have you tried with Direct mode? When it works it's usually the easier option.

Have you updated to the latest firmware and the latest runtime?

Can you list OS and system specs?

Thanks for the quick reply, Cyber!
It happens with all software and in both modes direct and extended, the thing won't display anything, like it is screen off.

I have the latest runtime 0.4.2 and updated the DK2 to the latest firmware along with it.

running win7 64bit and will attach dxdiag for ya.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you disable Crossfire? It may help to go into BIOS and disable the PCI-E slot.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Trenma
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:

Just to jump back on this point, have you definitely tried the Config Util Demo? as this is one of the most trustworthy spots to check where the issue is occurring.