Outerra Tech Demo (the free version), as well as the full version of our alpha sandbox game (Anteworld) now come with Oculus Rift support.
Outerra is a 3D planetary engine in development, capable of seamless planet rendering from space down to the surface. It uses real elevation data of Earth, refining it to centimeter resolution using fractal algorithms. It offers unlimited visibility, progressive download of data and procedural content generation. For more info see the features
and the Outerra forums
Download the latest version here: demo.outerra.com
In case of problems please see the instructions for graphics driver issues, startup problems
The demo can be upgraded to the full version in-game, after you verify it's working alright and want to support the development. The engine is still alpha, meaning there's lots of stuff still being worked on - more biomes, 3D trees etc.
To use with Oculus Rift:
- check "use if present" in graphics/stereoscopic settings in the main menu
- select a higher resolution if possible to help with the aliasing
- by default the stereoscopic mode uses a reduced quality grass, you can uncheck it in the stereoscopic settings if your graphics card is powerful enough
- you should have the magnetometer calibrated using the OculusConfigUtil to to avoid drift. To reset the orientation, press the semicolon key
- you can use alt+semicolon to toggle between the stereo and mono modes
Happy roaming the planet!