New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Live for Speed - now with support for Oculus 1.3

ScawenScawen Posts: 589
Trinity
edited April 2016 in Games and Apps
Dear Rift owners,

You can now download a new version of Live for Speed with support for the Oculus Rift DK2.

The DK2 system has been well tested and received a lot of support from people in the Rift community. It is great being able to look around the cockpit of your car and the world you are in just as you would in real life.

The Rift support works in free demo mode, without unlocking the full version. So give it a go if you haven't already!

Read more about the update and how to get it on our website http://www.lfs.net

EDIT : We have released a new official version supporting Oculus 1.3
0.6P Information page : https://www.lfs.net/patch-6p
Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
«13456710

Comments

  • AntDX316AntDX316 Posts: 355
    Brain Burst
    Nice
  • predator036predator036 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Excuse my English, Scawen is amazing what you have accomplished with this version of LFS Dk2 for the best experience far away from everything I've tried for the oculus.

    I have about 30 demos plus 10 games and nothing can compare to LFS, never forget my first steps in the virtual reality of your hand.


    Make a renewed version of LFS with better graphics and promissory CV1 adapted to whatever it takes to have it. Greetings from Spain.
  • FredzFredz Posts: 545
    Brain Burst
    Does it work in Direct to Rift mode ?
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 574
    Art3mis
    No, it does not work in Direct-to-Rift mode yet. But I'm pretty sure we'll see it in future versions, once the Oculus SDK has its kinks worked out.

    Btw, amazing update. Strangely, I had a little judder with the last testpach (0.6F12), but with the official update it's smooth as butter again! Scawen, you rock!
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24)
    CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day)
    Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)
  • FredzFredz Posts: 545
    Brain Burst
    Sharkku wrote:
    But I'm pretty sure we'll see it in future versions, once the Oculus SDK has its kinks worked out.
    What is missing in the Oculus SDK for Direct to Rift support ? Is Live for Speed an OpenGL game ?
  • flyingwaffleflyingwaffle Posts: 178
    Brain Burst
    Scawen, I'm curious, what is your personal opinion on sim racing with the Rift now that you've had a few weeks to try it out (my understanding is that you never had the DK1)... Personally it would be hard to go back to do it on a 2D monitor.
    Thanks for the great job on LFS!
  • DariusDarius Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    That's awesome Scawen. Thanks for your hard work. The result of your hard labour creates events like these:

    5WfArdj.jpg
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,086 Volunteer Moderator
    Hey Scawen, I played through all of the demo tutorials and had such a great time I decided to sign up for the rest of the game. I have tried twice, but your website doesn't seem to be sending me the confirmation email so I can purchase the license. Any help would be appreciated.

    I have played a lot of racing games over the years, and this game using the Rift is a great experience. Thank you very much!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    Fredz wrote:
    Sharkku wrote:
    But I'm pretty sure we'll see it in future versions, once the Oculus SDK has its kinks worked out.
    What is missing in the Oculus SDK for Direct to Rift support ? Is Live for Speed an OpenGL game ?

    If you check their website, they put a track project on the back burner to incorporate DK2 support. They have other customers just as eager for the new tracks.

    Scawen - LFS is great!
    But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:
  • LFS is a MUST HAVE for any sim racing fan. The Rift support is EXCELLENT!
    derekspearedesigns.com | i7-3820k | GTX780 | DK2
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Hey Scawen, I played through all of the demo tutorials and had such a great time I decided to sign up for the rest of the game. I have tried twice, but your website doesn't seem to be sending me the confirmation email so I can purchase the license. Any help would be appreciated.

    I have played a lot of racing games over the years, and this game using the Rift is a great experience. Thank you very much!
    Thanks, I have manually completed your registration. It's probably because you used a hotmail account. Have you checked if it got caught by your spam filter?

    I am going to ask Victor to look into this, as there are a lot of people using hotmail that are still on the "awaiting activation" list. I'm sorry to say, though, that hotmail is always causing problems (not just on our site) and you should probably change provider.
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,086 Volunteer Moderator
    Scawen wrote:
    Thanks, I have manually completed your registration. It's probably because you used a hotmail account. Have you checked if it got caught by your spam filter?

    I am going to ask Victor to look into this, as there are a lot of people using hotmail that are still on the "awaiting activation" list. I'm sorry to say, though, that hotmail is always causing problems (not just on our site) and you should probably change provider.
    Thanks for the help and quick reply Scawen!

    I have my security set up so I only get emails from contacts in my inbox, but your emails should have showed up in my junk folder at least (I have since added the lfs.net account to my contacts). The three emails you manually sent me were from my three signup tries, so I just used the first one and got my account set up. I have never had issues with games and my email before, so I am not sure what the issue is. I didn't ever receive a confirmation email after purchasing the S2 license, so I am betting that email got stuck as well(I did get my S2 unlock confirmation though so I think it is working now that I added you as a contact). Had some issues with my bank trying to make the purchase and ended up having to use my paypal account to get it done, but I am all set now! Apparently my bank is super picky about out-of-state charges lol.

    Thanks again, I really appreciate the game and the help! I am going to go get in some laps!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,086 Volunteer Moderator
    Man this game is awesome in the Rift! Everything is so smooth and the setup was super easy. I run extended mode with the Rift as my secondary monitor and the latest patch automatically puts the game on my Rift as needed. I have a G27 and the force-feedback for this game is awesome to say the least. These experiences are exactly what I wanted from the rift. Sitting in the driver's seat of these cars just feels right. The sense of scale and speed is so much better, and being able to glance at mirrors and around corners is key.

    10/10 Rift-ready in my book. Bravo Scawen! You guys have made a great game!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm pleased you could get your license in the end.

    Victor has been investigating what's up with hotmail. We are currently in the process of sending a newsletter about the new version to all registered users who have selected that they want to receive our newsletter. Due to high volumes, hotmail has temporarily stopped accepting mail from us. I suppose it's some kind of spam prevention failure, although we absolutely would never do any form of spam.
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 136
    Hiro Protagonist
    For added immersion get Simcommander 4 (v4 came out yesterday) for tactile feedback, it works fantastically with Live for Speed. I use Simcommander 4 with Buttkicker 2.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,086 Volunteer Moderator
    Scawen wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm pleased you could get your license in the end.

    Victor has been investigating what's up with hotmail. We are currently in the process of sending a newsletter about the new version to all registered users who have selected that they want to receive our newsletter. Due to high volumes, hotmail has temporarily stopped accepting mail from us. I suppose it's some kind of spam prevention failure, although we absolutely would never do any form of spam.

    My pleasure! I am glad to give credit where credit is due, and this game is well worth the money.

    It seems every game company sends out emails all the time, it is a shame hotmail has chosen to single you guys out. I get an email almost daily from Elite Dangerous, and I never added them as a contact. I have lfs.net added as a contact so I should be good to go now. I really appreciate the help and the attention to detail. It is pretty obvious when people care about what they are doing, and this game is obviously a labor of love. Not to mention the fact you take the time to support awesome new products like the Rift and come to forums like this and help us out.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • Maniac618Maniac618 Posts: 84
    NerveGear
    I echo the above!

    My DK2 is basically an add-on for Live For Speed at the moment as nothing else has come close on the headset in terms of ease of setup, use and immersion.

    Developers should look at LFS and its implementation with the Rift. The menus are perfect and tweakable if needed, the whole thing just works.
    Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Elite Dangerous
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Thanks for your kind words! I look forward to doing more DK2 updates in future. I do have a list... :)

    Are there any DK1 owners here? I'm interested to know if 0.6G works well with it, including the F8 key.

    In one of the test patches, the F8 key (view reset) didn't work on the DK1, but it is very important due to the DK1's yaw drift. I did correct this in a later test patch so it should call the original reset function if the rift reports that positional tracking is not supported (which I interpret to mean that the attached device is a DK1).

    I'm just asking here because of a question by TheWizardOS on Oculus Share https://share.oculus.com/app/live-for-speed-s2 but he didn't state which version he is using.

    By the way, please do give us a rating on Oculus Share if you have not already! :)
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • AntDX316AntDX316 Posts: 355
    Brain Burst
    I won a race in the BMW against a bunch of online players with my csr elite wheel and the csr v2 pedals..

    because the pedals are load cell with the oil damper I can really dial in the brakes plus the tracking of the DK2 and peripheral vision allows me to see the corners and slip better

    I had fastest lap

    I usually don't do as good as other online because I have 1 monitor

    the only problem with LFS is when cars show up on the screen or the car hits the bump on the apex the screen goes up and down quick like it glitched making it distracting
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    AntDX316 wrote:
    the only problem with LFS is when cars show up on the screen or the car hits the bump on the apex the screen goes up and down quick like it glitched making it distracting
    Most times I've heard a report like this, it turned out that the camera was not absolutely steady, and vibrations from the wheel were making the camera move. Ideally you should mount the camera on a nearby shelf, just somehow that it can't move. Very tiny camera movements, including the vibrations from force feedback at violent moments, come out big when the result is seen in the rift.
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 574
    Art3mis
    One thing to add to your list, Scawen, if you haven't already: When watching replays, the cameras don't move appropriately when you tilt your head, in a way that creates vertical stereoscopic disparity. You don't notice it if you keep your head level, only if you tilt it to the side, but then it's rather uncomfortable.
    Seems like a mistake that's easy to make though, since it's the same with the menus in Euro Truck Simulator.

    And when I'm giving feedback anyway: I would prefer the replay sequences to be more like you are transported to a point and watching from within the virtual world, being able to look around freely. I perfectly understand why it is like it is now with the black borders, since you move the camera to follow the car in focus and that could make people nauseous. And I figure it's more of an easy fix, just taken from the 2D version of the game, while you were working on the important parts. But it's a suggestion! If you get around to it some time! ;)
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24)
    CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day)
    Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Hi Sharkku,

    I know what you mean about the replay TV cameras mode but that's not a mistake. It's a simulation of a 3D TV / monitor / projector screen and that's how it would be. Also if you press P to pause the image and move your head from side to side, the image stays the same but your perception tells you the world is warping. Again, this is exactly how it works on a 3D TV. It wasn't really an easy fix... simulating a 3D TV within a VR black room was quite tough to do actually, though it was indeed the only way to make it work with the current replay system we have.

    I am considering trying out and possibly then adding an option for a special sickness-inducing non-TV teleportation-based replay following mode as well. :)
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • Loving the DK2 intergration, works perfectly.

    Is it possible to have a mirror image / output to the computer monitor? so other people can see what the user is seeing?

    Thanks!
  • BOLLBOLL Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    While talking about replays... I... uhm, this might be nutty. It would be kind of neat if I could sit in the passenger seat when jumping between cars, and when looking to the side I would see the one driving :x Buuut, that is easier said that done, just figured I'd mention it :D Would also be impossible with one seaters.

    Oh, perhaps this feature is more easily/better implemented when spectating :D Imagine if the one driving actually would get a person teleporting into the passenger seat, haha! I would crap my pants! Probably, erhm, keep that client side. The teleportation I mean.
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 574
    Art3mis
    Scawen wrote:
    Hi Sharkku,

    I know what you mean about the replay TV cameras mode but that's not a mistake. It's a simulation of a 3D TV / monitor / projector screen and that's how it would be. Also if you press P to pause the image and move your head from side to side, the image stays the same but your perception tells you the world is warping. Again, this is exactly how it works on a 3D TV. It wasn't really an easy fix... simulating a 3D TV within a VR black room was quite tough to do actually, though it was indeed the only way to make it work with the current replay system we have.
    Aha, thanks for clearing that up!
    Scawen wrote:
    I am considering trying out and possibly then adding an option for a special sickness-inducing non-TV teleportation-based replay following mode as well. :)
    That sounds good! :) I'm not sure how nausea-inducing it would be though... For me, it's worse with the eye-strain from the vertical stereodisparity. Being placed as a stationary spectator above the track somewhere though, would not induce nausea I think. But then again, I seem to be completely immune to vection-induced nausea in the Rift! (lucky for me!) Flying along with the cars though, could be uncomfortable for some people. iRacing have some mode like that, and I got a tingling sensation in my stomach from it. No nausea though. :)
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24)
    CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day)
    Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)
  • flameczeflamecze Posts: 4
    edited October 2014
    BOLL wrote:
    While talking about replays... I... uhm, this might be nutty. It would be kind of neat if I could sit in the passenger seat when jumping between cars, and when looking to the side I would see the one driving :x Buuut, that is easier said that done, just figured I'd mention it :D Would also be impossible with one seaters.

    Oh, perhaps this feature is more easily/better implemented when spectating :D Imagine if the one driving actually would get a person teleporting into the passenger seat, haha! I would crap my pants! Probably, erhm, keep that client side. The teleportation I mean.
    It's easier than you think! Press V to select the custom view (the one after cockpit view) - you should just see the wheels without car body.

    Then go to Options - View and you can play around with all the values there.

    To make a nice passenger seat view:
    - set Draw to "body"
    - set Mirror mode and Clocks mode to "real"
    - set X offset to wherever it looks best (e.g. 0.3 m)

    Then you can switch to that view whenever you want - in replays, in the race etc.
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    samfire wrote:
    Loving the DK2 intergration, works perfectly.

    Is it possible to have a mirror image / output to the computer monitor? so other people can see what the user is seeing?

    Thanks!
    I have heard that it is easy to do this with some free software called Open Broadcaster.
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • Scawen wrote:
    samfire wrote:
    Loving the DK2 intergration, works perfectly.

    Is it possible to have a mirror image / output to the computer monitor? so other people can see what the user is seeing?

    Thanks!
    I have heard that it is easy to do this with some free software called Open Broadcaster.

    Thanks Scawen! will try that :)
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    Some people probably don't know about this, as it was only introduced in the final test patch before 0.6G.

    A command line option to go straight into the Rift, avoiding the need to start in 2D, exit and restart in 3D.

    LFS.exe /rift=on - try to go straight into Rift mode
    LFS.exe /rift=off - do not go into Rift (ignores previous mode)

    Example for people who are not familiar with editing command line options:

    - Right click on the LFS shortcut on your desktop and select "Properties"
    - In the "Shortcut" tab you will see "Target", something like C:\LFS\LFS.exe
    - Add a space then /rift=on so now it might say C:\LFS\LFS.exe /rift=on
    - Click OK to save the changes

    Now when you use the shortcut it should go straight into the Rift, if the Rift is in the correct mode.
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • Isakjb13Isakjb13 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Actually having problems getting it to work with my dk1 right now, worked fine with the test patch a while ago but switching to the newest version seems to have broken it :/

    EDIT: works fine now. Don't know why iit didn't work before...
«13456710
Sign In or Register to comment.