New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Fingerprints?

jrd3djrd3d Posts: 138
Hiro Protagonist
edited October 2014 in Samsung Gear VR
I was just curious if anyone thinks fingerprints/smudges are going to be a problem with using the Note 4 in the Gear VR? It Seems to me that it would be a frequently annoying issue since the user will be interacting with the phone/phablet on a regular basis with their fingers and then going to stick the device in front of the super-magnifying lenses where fingerprints and other debris are going to be blown-up exponentially, likely distracting from the overall virtual experience. I know that the screen can be wiped off, but it might get annoying how much more effort will need to be put into keeping the screen extra clean. I think most people take for granted how easy the Rift is to keep clean since it, for the most part, is sealed shut except for when the lenses are changed out. This thing is going to be constantly exposed to the outside elements. Thoughts?

Comments

• GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    keep a cleaning cloth inside your GearVR ... my guess. I see no reason why it should be less annoying than it was with DK1.
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • arnoudharnoudh Posts: 333
    NerveGear
    My experience is that smudges on the lenses inside the Gear VR are much more noticeable than stains on the display itself.
  • bp2008bp2008 Posts: 256
    Hiro Protagonist
    Not to mention having to take your phone out of its protective case too... Lots of maintenance it seems to use Gear VR properly with a Note 4 that would also be used as a phone.
  • zerogeezerogee Posts: 157
    This will definitely be an issue. I believe Samsung will be supplying a wipe cloth and it works pretty well, but keeping the screen clean is important for a good VR experience. I doubt it'll work with cases, so if you use a case, it would likely have to be popped out to function. Trade-offs and compromises to have mobile VR that you can throw into your backpack and take with you :)
  • jrd3djrd3d Posts: 138
    Hiro Protagonist
    That's another good point, Cases. I'll be damned if I'm gonna be walking around with a naked $$$ smart phone. I'll make sure to get one that's easily removable if I do end up getting the note 4 + the galaxy gear vr.
  • treytechtreytech Posts: 243
    Art3mis
    jrd3d wrote:
    That's another good point, Cases. I'll be damned if I'm gonna be walking around with a naked $$$ smart phone. I'll make sure to get one that's easily removable if I do end up getting the note 4 + the galaxy gear vr.

Better invest in some pants with massive pockets then.
    Nexus 6
    treytech wrote:
    jrd3d wrote:

My Note 2 has a very slim gummi cover that ads just a tiny bit at the bezel and so far has kept my phone in perfect condition. I doubt many will have to switch their pants just because they added a slim skin.
  • treytechtreytech Posts: 243
    Art3mis
    Gerald wrote:
    treytech wrote:
    jrd3d wrote:

My Note 2 has a very slim gummi cover that ads just a tiny bit at the bezel and so far has kept my phone in perfect condition. I doubt many will have to switch their pants just because they added a slim skin.

But I guess even a small skin will not work inside the Gear VR? I would assume it fits inside with millimeter precision.
    Nexus 6
    treytech wrote:
    Gerald wrote:
    treytech wrote:

But I guess even a small skin will not work inside the Gear VR? I would assume it fits inside with millimeter precision.

I expect that too, I was just referring to the pants. :)