New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quick Draw 3D v1.6

rubixcube6rubixcube6 Posts: 164
Art3mis
edited February 2015 in Games and Apps
For anyone who doesn't already know about an application called Tilt Brush, go check it out. Its awesome! http://www.tiltbrush.com/#intro

Unfortunately, there's no download for Tilt Brush, and no announced release date (that I know of). So this morning I figured I would make a quick simplistic drawing app similar to it.

I'm not sure if it uses the same technique as I used for 3d drawing, but I would imagine its pretty close. This method uses only the mouse.

you start with a 2D plane and a cursor. To draw, just click and hold the left mouse button.

wlDpCb.png

To draw in 3D space, lean forward and backwards and the plane will move with you.

RqB9sv.png

You can Rotate the plane by holding down the right mouse button. You can also move it around by holding down the middle mouse button.

mBh3yR.png

DaxhPV.png

Download (windows): Quick Draw 3D (v1.6)

-- Controlls --
R key: Re-center cursor
1 Key: Set default rotation of the drawing

(Mouse)
Left Click: Draw
Middle Click: Move plane
Right Click: Rotate plane
Scroll Wheel: Zoom plane distance

(Mouse + Alt Key)
Middle Click: Move Drawing
Right Click: Rotate drawing
Scroll Wheel: Zoom drawing distance

Hold Alt: enables object control and will allow you to manipulate your drawing just like the drawing plane.
Hold Space: shows options.
Ctrl Key: locks the drawing plane in place. (Click to toggle)

Also, show some support to the team behind Tilt Brush. They deserve it!

Comments

• EddieJamesEddieJames Posts: 92
    Brain Burst
    This is awesome. You should seriously pursue working on this.
    DK2 on ASUS Rampage V i7-5930k @ 3.5ghz, GTX 780ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 500GB SSD Win 7 Pro
  • rubixcube6rubixcube6 Posts: 164
    Art3mis
    Thanks! :) I will add more features, but I don't want to just copy everything Tilt Brush is doing. Maybe I'll incorporate a simple 3d modeler (connect the dots with a 3D grid) along with the sketching features to make it unique.
  • tappatappa Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2014
    Great! Thanks!

I also think you should continue to work on this project.
    I am sure you will find a way to differentiate yourself from the Tilt Brush.
    On the PC there are many drawing programs...

I would also love to have a 3d modeler or a mix of both.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Looks awesome.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • routb3droutb3d Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    This is fantastic! I was able to intuitively draw in 3D and really enjoyed myself doing it.

What's next? it would be cool to be able to:
    •Rotate the entire scene with an Alt click.
    •Adjust the distance of the plane with Alt Right click.
    •Lock and unlock the plane to the HMD with SpaceBar or Checkbox on screen.

I Love what you have made here.. This is enough to get me rolling.. I really appreciate you sharing your work.

Isaiah
    Art3mis
    Thanks!! :D

I was just working on enabling alt clicking. Ive got to be somewhere shortly, but I may be able to finish and upload before I leave. Holding Alt will enable object control and will allow you to move your drawing just like the drawing plane.
    Brain Burst
    rubixcube6 wrote:
    Thanks!! :D

I was just working on enabling alt clicking. Ive got to be somewhere shortly, but I may be able to finish and upload before I leave. Holding Alt will enable object control and will allow you to move your drawing just like the drawing plane.

Great!! Go man go! Your on to something big here. The cool thing is that it really doesn't need much to be extraordinarily useful for conceptualizing in 3D.. It's already useful.

That lock and unlock of the plane to the HMD is really key to navigation and plane setting. It really would free the whole recipe of navigation up for people to develop their style of plane setting.

Thanks again.. Ill download whatever you put down and drop feedback. I would also love to do a video demo once I get a drawing performance ready.

Isaiah
    Art3mis
    Here it is!

Download (windows): Quick Draw 3D (v1.1)
  • zbufferVRzbufferVR Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Whoa.
    This is absolutely great to use !

Both simple and already powerful. Fast and judder-free (used direct to rift)

My wish list, if you want to expand this - and you should ;) !
    - unlimited canvas : seems that the drawing is limited inside a square a bit bigger that the grid : why not infinite ? Right now it forces one to translate the grid to draw a line farther
    - a key toggle to switch between 3 the planes at right angles (ie XY, YZ, ZX) so that drawing a simple house and its floor is easier
    - being able of completely lock the plane to the view, to simply manipulate the plane with the head while drawing, rather than right clicking (of course it would be nice to be unlockable too)
    - save/load the sketches

Already a big thank you for what you have done ! Anybody with a Rift and a mouse should it it.

PS: I saw that you provide the mirror view to the main monitor too, I will make my little kids try it, will be interesting to see what they will manage to draw hehehe :twisted:
    Art3mis
    Good suggestions. The reason that I have the cursor restricted is because if I went too far by accident, I wouldn't be able to find the cursor again very easily. I will possibly remove the restriction and just add a recenter cursor key.

I'm un-sure exactly what you mean by locking the plane to the view. do you mean glue the plane to your head so that its always in the center of where your looking?
    Brain Burst
    Maybe, but it is more bout keeping the relative angles of the plane fixed relative to the view direction.
    So that no only the movement of the head would move the plane, but rotation of the head would rotate it too, to alow drawing in different angles with the same stroke, without haveing to fiddle with right mouse button and unnatural rotation with the mouse.

Sorry, a bit in a hurry, I will try to be more explicit later.
    Brain Burst
    Here is what I would like to see.

Click - Draw
    Alt Click - zoom scene

Middle click - pan plane
    Z middle click - pan plane perpendicular
    Alt middle click - pan scene

Right click - rotate plane
    Alt right click - rotate scene

Space bar - toggle lock/unlock plane from hmd
    V - toggle - lock/unlock angular orientation to hmd
    The above 2 could have a visual indicator of what on and off..

R - reset plane to hmd.
    P - reset hmd to plane

Edit* just remembered A - zoom all

This will be a great formula for navigating all aspects of a scene. I can imagine all of these modifier keys could eventually be replaced by good gizmos and GUI elements but for the time being this should work.

Thanks,

Isaiah
    Art3mis
    I'm going to implement a UI system at some point later with options. I'm taking everyone suggestions into consideration as options and modes.

- I just finished fixing a bug with the rotation. It's a small fix but now it just works like you would expect it to.
    - The cursor boundary has been removed, and you can recenter the cursor by pressing the R key.
    - Added Zooming controls for plane and drawing distance.
    - The rotation pivot point for the drawing will always be in the center.
    - pressing the 1 key will set your drawings current rotation to default. This is similar to Autodesk Maya's freeze transform option.

Here are the new controlls.
    R key: Re-centercursor
    1 Key: Set default rotation

(Mouse)
    Left Click: Draw
    Middle Click: Move plane
    Right Click: Rotate plane
    Scroll Wheel: Zoom plane distance

(Mouse + Alt Key)
    Middle Click: Move Drawing
    Right Click: Rotate drawing
    Scroll Wheel: Zoom drawing distance

With with all of these additions, you can intuitively draw things in the distance like mountains, clouds, stars, etc...

Download (windows): Quick Draw 3D (v1.2)

Lu1Dpp.jpg
    zbufferVR wrote:
    Maybe, but it is more bout keeping the relative angles of the plane fixed relative to the view direction.
    So that no only the movement of the head would move the plane, but rotation of the head would rotate it too, to alow drawing in different angles with the same stroke, without haveing to fiddle with right mouse button and unnatural rotation with the mouse.

Oh ok, I think I get it now. So if I were to turn my head 30 deg, the plane would rotate in place 30 deg?
    Brain Burst
    I tried the latest and its great! Very nice to be able to zoom. I'm not sure what the key press 1 does. I know what freeze transform does in Maya.. Maybe I need to try again and see if it does anything noticeable.

noticings:

I feel like the plane should be parented to the scene when navigating the scene.

The drawing line weight changes and becomes flat from different angles. I wonder if there is a way to make that uniform no matter how you look at it.

I feel like moving the plane with the hmd position should be an option but should be able to be turned off for strictly drawing on planes.. It adds an extra wobble to the line.

Great work.. I'm really looking forward to see where this goes..

Isaiah
    Art3mis
    Here's a good example of when you might use the 1 key: Draw a circle and rotate it to a side view. Then draw another circle in the same place. Now if you try to rotate it to a top view from there, it won't because its facing the wrong direction. Clicking the 1 key fixes that by making your current view of the drawing the front view.
  • dzuckerdzucker Posts: 104
    Really awesome. Might want to experiment with a hotkey that when held down brings up a view where you see a color palette, brushes, tools, menu, etc. When you let go of the hotkey, you're quickly transported right back to your drawing.
    Art3mis
    Yea, thats something I've been thinking about. Here's a sketch i did yesterday of what it might look like.

GhtRmO.jpg
    Brain Burst
    The mousewheel is a great addition !
    rubixcube6 wrote:
    zbufferVR wrote:

Oh ok, I think I get it now. So if I were to turn my head 30 deg, the plane would rotate in place 30 deg?
    Yes, that is what I had i my head.
    But rethinking about that combined with the mouse scroll, maybe your interpretation "glue the plane to your head so that its always in the center of where your looking" would be way better. In fact, right now, drawing something on the sides (ie. 45° on the left of the camera) is strange, as both the wheel and head movements are absolute in the world, and I feel they would be better as relative to the head.
    Brain Burst
    rubixcube6 wrote:
    Yea, thats something I've been thinking about. Here's a sketch i did yesterday of what it might look like.

GhtRmO.jpg

I just want to say I had a lot of fun drawing in your latest version today. I really hope you keep developing this 3D sketching tool.
    Art3mis
    routb3d wrote:
    I just want to say I had a lot of fun drawing in your latest version today. I really hope you keep developing this 3D sketching tool.

Thanks! :) Seeing as there is a lot of interest in this project from the community, I will continue working on it.
  • PeejlePeejle Posts: 412
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is really nice. Add colors, brush sizes and the ability to save/share and you'll see an explosive amount of creations bouncing around these and other forums. I know several pro artists salivating while waiting for Tilt Brush. This could fill the gap and push them to make Tilt Brush better.

BTW Too early to ask for drawing tablet integration? ;)

Peejle
    Art3mis
    Thanks! I just implemented a screenshot feature last night. Pressing the S key will take a screenshot. Pressing it multiple times will take multiple screenshots. They make nice rift wallpapers too! I've also been building out a GUI System for options. Then I'll add other things like brushes, and tools.
  • dzuckerdzucker Posts: 104
    rubixcube6 wrote:
    Thanks! I just implemented a screenshot feature last night. Pressing the S key will take a screenshot. Pressing it multiple times will take multiple screenshots. They make nice rift wallpapers too! I've also been building out a GUI System for options. Then I'll add other things like brushes, and tools.

Cool, did you upload a new version yet? And is the screenshot stereoscopic?
    Art3mis
    I haven't released v1.3 yet. Still working on a few bug fixes. Yes the screenshots are stereoscopic :D

Here's a screenshot:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61346292/other/Screenshot1.png

*edit*

I've just finished some pretty big features! Download and info soon to come.
    Art3mis
    * Added Screenshot support. Press the S key to take screenshots (They are saved in the QuickDraw3D_Data folder).

Hit the S key multiple times in a row while moving and upload the screenshots here (http://gifmaker.me/) to make a GIF. Recommended settings: Canvas size 36%, Animation Speed 100 milliseconds.

gif_example.gif

* Added UI panels. (Hold the space bar to show the UI panels)

Options panel: Plane snapping YZ ZX XY, and clear drawing.

Brush Panel: Brush size, Hue, Saturation, and Value.

* Holding the Ctrl Key locks the drawing plane in place.

* Fixed issue where drawing lines go flat when rotated.

options.jpg

brush_size.jpg

Colors.jpg

Download (windows): Quick Draw 3D (v1.3)
    Brain Burst
    1.3 is awesome! Thanks for the update..

Noticings..

1. I love the CTRL key plane lock.. Wish it was a toggle on off kind of thing so I didn't have to hold it..

2. The Gui is great. It seems I had to manipulate the drawing plane to get my mouse pointer in the same 3D space of the Gui. I wish I could leave the drawing plane with the scene and the Gui had its own plane that would take priority over the drawing plane while the spacebar is held. Would be cool to be able to manipulate and place the Gui Plane the same as the drawing plane.

1.3 is a ton of progress.. Thanks for the update.. I'm going to spend some time with this one.. Can't wait to see what's next..

Isaiah
  • Wow!!! I've tried all the dk2 demos but tbh this one blew me away the most because of how easily I could create something in 3d and receive immediate feedback on how it looks. Great job!
    Art3mis
    Thank you! I'm glad you like it. :) I really appreciate all the comments, feedback, and suggestions. I would love to see some screenshots of drawings from you all.
    Brain Burst
    rubixcube6 wrote:
    Thank you! I'm glad you like it. :) I really appreciate all the comments, feedback, and suggestions. I would love to see some screenshots of drawings from you all.

Here is one I whipped up using for QD1.3.. I enjoyed every minute of it.. I probably should have changed colors.. Maybe layers would be a good thing.. :).. I know I know.. Walk before run.. Thanks for QD1.3. :)

output_KHAcS9.gif
  • jphilippjphilipp Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Extremely interesting and quite relaxing. Had you considered (or is there already) an optional snap to grid/ auto-align/ 'nicify' option for more geometric structures?
    - Anyland dev -