cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Draw 3D v1.6

rubixcube6
Explorer
For anyone who doesn't already know about an application called Tilt Brush, go check it out. Its awesome! http://www.tiltbrush.com/#intro

Unfortunately, there's no download for Tilt Brush, and no announced release date (that I know of). So this morning I figured I would make a quick simplistic drawing app similar to it.

I'm not sure if it uses the same technique as I used for 3d drawing, but I would imagine its pretty close. This method uses only the mouse.

you start with a 2D plane and a cursor. To draw, just click and hold the left mouse button.

To draw in 3D space, lean forward and backwards and the plane will move with you.

You can Rotate the plane by holding down the right mouse button. You can also move it around by holding down the middle mouse button.

Download (windows): Quick Draw 3D (v1.6)

-- Controlls --
R key: Re-center cursor
1 Key: Set default rotation of the drawing

(Mouse)
Left Click: Draw
Middle Click: Move plane
Right Click: Rotate plane
Scroll Wheel: Zoom plane distance

(Mouse + Alt Key)
Middle Click: Move Drawing
Right Click: Rotate drawing
Scroll Wheel: Zoom drawing distance

Hold Alt: enables object control and will allow you to manipulate your drawing just like the drawing plane.
Hold Space: shows options.
Ctrl Key: locks the drawing plane in place. (Click to toggle)

Also, show some support to the team behind Tilt Brush. They deserve it!

67 REPLIES 67

EddieJames
Explorer
This is awesome. You should seriously pursue working on this.
DK2 on ASUS Rampage V i7-5930k @ 3.5ghz, GTX 780ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 500GB SSD Win 7 Pro

rubixcube6
Explorer
Thanks! 🙂 I will add more features, but I don't want to just copy everything Tilt Brush is doing. Maybe I'll incorporate a simple 3d modeler (connect the dots with a 3D grid) along with the sketching features to make it unique.

tappa
Honored Guest
Great! Thanks!

I also think you should continue to work on this project.
I am sure you will find a way to differentiate yourself from the Tilt Brush.
On the PC there are many drawing programs...

I would also love to have a 3d modeler or a mix of both.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks awesome.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

routb3d
Explorer
This is fantastic! I was able to intuitively draw in 3D and really enjoyed myself doing it.

What's next? it would be cool to be able to:
•Rotate the entire scene with an Alt click.
•Adjust the distance of the plane with Alt Right click.
•Lock and unlock the plane to the HMD with SpaceBar or Checkbox on screen.

I Love what you have made here.. This is enough to get me rolling.. I really appreciate you sharing your work.

Isaiah

rubixcube6
Explorer
Thanks!! 😄

I was just working on enabling alt clicking. Ive got to be somewhere shortly, but I may be able to finish and upload before I leave. Holding Alt will enable object control and will allow you to move your drawing just like the drawing plane.

routb3d
Explorer
"rubixcube6" wrote:
Thanks!! 😄

I was just working on enabling alt clicking. Ive got to be somewhere shortly, but I may be able to finish and upload before I leave. Holding Alt will enable object control and will allow you to move your drawing just like the drawing plane.

Great!! Go man go! Your on to something big here. The cool thing is that it really doesn't need much to be extraordinarily useful for conceptualizing in 3D.. It's already useful.

That lock and unlock of the plane to the HMD is really key to navigation and plane setting. It really would free the whole recipe of navigation up for people to develop their style of plane setting.

Thanks again.. Ill download whatever you put down and drop feedback. I would also love to do a video demo once I get a drawing performance ready.

Isaiah

rubixcube6
Explorer
Here it is!

Download (windows): Quick Draw 3D (v1.1)

zbufferVR
Explorer
Whoa.
This is absolutely great to use !

Both simple and already powerful. Fast and judder-free (used direct to rift)

My wish list, if you want to expand this - and you should 😉 !
- unlimited canvas : seems that the drawing is limited inside a square a bit bigger that the grid : why not infinite ? Right now it forces one to translate the grid to draw a line farther
- a key toggle to switch between 3 the planes at right angles (ie XY, YZ, ZX) so that drawing a simple house and its floor is easier
- being able of completely lock the plane to the view, to simply manipulate the plane with the head while drawing, rather than right clicking (of course it would be nice to be unlockable too)
- save/load the sketches

Already a big thank you for what you have done ! Anybody with a Rift and a mouse should it it.

PS: I saw that you provide the mirror view to the main monitor too, I will make my little kids try it, will be interesting to see what they will manage to draw hehehe :twisted: