Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version) - Page 10 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• GrimPinataGrimPinata Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    That was a really great experience, drash! Thanks for sharing! The thing I liked most is the sense of scale that you experience using the oculus. I was kind of surprised at the emotional impact the different coloured stars had when they were being revealed.

On a side note, I was trying to figure out how you did the moving clouds on Jupiter. My best guess is you used a custom shader with two textures and changed the offset of the cloud texture to "move" them?
    vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [Updated March 17th]
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    @ trbot, Burak, Bugbear, GrimPinata: Very glad you had a good time with it. :)
    GrimPinata wrote:
    On a side note, I was trying to figure out how you did the moving clouds on Jupiter. My best guess is you used a custom shader with two textures and changed the offset of the cloud texture to "move" them?

You're pretty close in your guess! It is indeed based around offsetting the texture coordinate to move them as a function of time. It's a custom shader that takes a couple of thin vertical grayscale textures to tell the shader the speed the clouds should move by latitude as well as the opacity of the moving clouds vs the static clouds underneath. There's also a mask texture to indicate which parts shouldn't move at all (like the Great Red Spot).
  • GrimPinataGrimPinata Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    It's a custom shader that takes a couple of thin vertical grayscale textures to tell the shader the speed the clouds should move by latitude as well as the opacity of the moving clouds vs the static clouds underneath. There's also a mask texture to indicate which parts shouldn't move at all (like the Great Red Spot).

Huh, very cool. Thanks for the response!
    vr.training (v0.4 Win/Mac/Lin) [Updated March 17th]
  • alutogalutog Posts: 10
    drash wrote:
    @ FictionX & alutog, thanks for proving to me that the Linux version does work for some people. :) You've both got PM's with links to 1.37 for Linux.
    I recently got around testing the new build, so here is some feedback:
    • Even though I played the previous version, I was still impressed with the updated visuals.
    • Rotating planets(mainly earth) is interesting. However I would prefer some form of head-look controls over using the gamepad/keyboard to make it more accessible.
    The performance on my system(details below) is still fine. In low motion intensity mode with the no-stop option I guess that the average fps is 70fps on 1920x1080, however it dropped to ~50fps when
    multiple stars are in view.
    Note that the rift display is not recognized at this resolution, but the rift sensor is.

My system:
    Hardware
    cpu: Intel Core2Duo E6750
    ram: 4GB
    gpu: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Software
    distro: Archlinux (Archlinux doesn't have versions, it can only be more or less up to date)
    kernel: linux 3.11.6
    video driver package: nvidia 325.15-10 (= driver made by nvidia)
    window manager: openbox
    sound server: pulseaudio

If you need more information, feel free to ask.
  • shiranisshiranis Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Thank you for one of the most amazing experiences on the rift.
    I shall cherish this experience forever.
  • dondon1903dondon1903 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Just to echo what most others are saying. This is excellent. My Rift arrived yesterday and this was the first thing I tried....

Awesome!
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    As an amateur astronomer this is really cool to me. I often show people a similar thing on youtube which shows the comparative scales between planets and then stars all the way up to the daddy hypergiant, VY Canis Majoris!

It was a real treat to be able to experience this in VR, so thank you for your effort.
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • My absolute fav Rift demo. A truly immersive experience.

One note: I used it for on WIndows at home and it worked really well. I took it to work to use on my Macbook Pro and Jupiter is missing its color. It appears to have a cloud texture, but it's on a grey ball.

My mac specs:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08
    SMC Version (system): 2.1f175

Intel HD Graphics 4000:
    Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 384 MB
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x0166
    Revision ID: 0x0009
    gMux Version: 1.9.23
    Neo
    Thanks for the feedback alutog.

@shiranis, dondon1903, RiftXdev, and bfeist, you guys are so generous with your compliments, I just don't know what to do with them. Thank you!
    bfeist wrote:
    One note: I used it for on WIndows at home and it worked really well. I took it to work to use on my Macbook Pro and Jupiter is missing its color. It appears to have a cloud texture, but it's on a grey ball.

My mac specs:
    Intel HD Graphics 4000:
    Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 384 MB

Hadn't heard of this issue before. I went back to my old Mac Mini (the only Mac I have unfortunately) to make sure it's working and Jupiter looks fine there in Rift and nonstereoscopic modes. I think my Mac Mini has even less VRAM than your Mac has, but it looks like an Nvidia GPU so that's the only thing I can think of that could possibly make a difference here. Sorry I couldn't help more. :(
  • SLOW CLAP

This demo is a must-show for people trying VR for the first time. When I strap the Rift on people who are usually quiet and reserved, within minutes they are gasping, letting out a slow, awe-filled "wowwwwwwww", gasping and giggling. I personally have sat through Titans almost every day since I've gotten my Rift. Great job.

My real hope is that you are now developing/will develop a longer form, more comprehensive, interactive tour of the cosmos. Your demo has me excited for an HD Rift so that I can soak in higher texture maps and finer detailed particle physics. This has real potential to revolutionize how kids learn about the universe and to get them interested in a way that no schoolbook or website can. Kudos once again!
  • Just Wow! - awesome. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing more.
  • By far my favorite VR Experience I've tried yet, kudos to the creator, well done!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, this is a good one.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    This is simply fantastic.

Is there any way you can add CMEs and/or flares to the sun when it is approached? It'd be awesome to fly through a prominance (pre CME) when you move in to it from the outer planets, much in the way you go through Saturns rings.

Having Solar flares have an effect on the other planets would be awesome too. If you could see a halo appear on the poles shortly after a flare animation on the sun that would be awesome. If you sat and watched the object for a period of time you could see these actions and it'd show how all the bodies in the system are connected and effected by the sun.

Perhaps having some different tracks around the earth to show the orbital geometries of satellites might be good as well as people perhaps dont know how these man made objects relate to the earth in terms of distance. Even having a tiny ISS going around it from the present view would be lovely to see. Showing visually that we are actually out there with these things.

When we get a higher resolution rift it'd be very awesome to see ultra high resolution textures on these objects. Imagine seeing the sun up close like how it is portrayed in movies like Sunshine? Would love it.

Thanks again. this was my first VR experience with the Rift (as I'm an astronomer in my spare time it was what I was most eager to see) and will continue to be the first thing I introduce people to VR with. Usually promptly followed by Ocean Rift, people just love to see a shark and a whale..
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
    Neo
    Thank you RedAndBlue, richardrsc, wconrad, cybereality, and RiftXDev! Your comments and feedback are uplifting and ensure continued development. :D
    RiftXdev wrote:
    Is there any way you can add CMEs and/or flares to the sun when it is approached? It'd be awesome to fly through a prominance (pre CME) when you move in to it from the outer planets, much in the way you go through Saturns rings.

Glad you asked -- this has been on the very top of my "I want to do this" list. I'm all studied up on all the different stellar mechanisms in play, just a matter of getting it to look good and perform well (that's the hardest part so far). Someday.

Thanks for your other feedback, lots of good ideas! :)
  • rostsrosts Posts: 3
    This is still one of my favourite demos, but as a Linux user I'd love to have the latest version. Is there are a particular reason it's not uploaded?
    Neo
    rosts wrote:
    This is still one of my favourite demos, but as a Linux user I'd love to have the latest version. Is there are a particular reason it's not uploaded?
    Thanks rosts. No particular reason, actually -- I used to just PM the link to people that asked for it, before FictionX came around and educated all of us devs on how to get a Linux build more or less working for most Linux users (thanks FictionX!)

So, now I've updated it with the 32-bit plugins in the proper place, and here you go:

Titans of Space v1.37 (Linux) (Adrive)
    (Links have also been updated on the website and in the first post.)

Let me know if it works for you!
  • BushidoBushido Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Great demo, thanks for making it!
    Neo
    Thanks to the generous Andrea Baldessari, a new Italian translation has been posted on the website!
    Bushido wrote:
    Great demo, thanks for making it!
    And thank you for playing it, Bushido. :)
  • DeferoDefero Posts: 1
    amazing... i wan't to stay in there
  • Hi,

this is a very nice experience. I love the scale of things.
    You did also a very good job, to keep the framerate at 60 frames/s.

You should consider a voiceover for all the info texts, which in my opinion would enhance the experience even further.

The only direct comparison I can think of so far is museum of the microstar, even if it has another topic. But that suffers from bad framerate issues, which break immersion very severely.

Kind regards,
    Kai
  • DariusDarius Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    Hi Drash,
    I'm still trying to sqeeuze a 250 frame animation of your avatar into an 8 frame GIF that's under 24kb. Really hard but getting there :D

Anywayz, for now a shameless plug of my favorite demo:

e673XdO.gif
    Neo
    Thanks to Vodka-Chartreuse at EnterTheRift.fr, the French translation has been "remixed" and improved. It has been posted to the website, or you can get a direct download here.
    Darius wrote:
    Hi Drash,
    I'm still trying to sqeeuze a 250 frame animation of your avatar into an 8 frame GIF that's under 24kb. Really hard but getting there :D

Anywayz, for now a shameless plug of my favorite demo:

e673XdO.gif
    Oh man, that's a great animated GIF! I'm honored that you're spend any of your time on it, so thank you. :oops: :)
  • apiceapice Posts: 1
    Mind sharing what texture resolutions you used? :)

This is what I use to introduce people to VR as well. I find it provides far superior sense of scale than blue marble, which is what the rift excels at. Well done.
    Neo
    Thanks, apice!
    apice wrote:
    Mind sharing what texture resolutions you used? :)

Mostly 4K spherical textures, maybe a few 2K's for some of the smaller moons, and i think there's a couple 8K's in there. Despite the benefits to using cubemaps, i don't use them anywhere in the entire demo and that would have really bumped up the resolution if i could find the source material for it.

For Ceres and Pluto/Charon/Eris, they are "artist's impressions" that i very much look forward to updating sometime in 2015!

And, other than the faint Milky Way band, the background starfield isn't a texture, it's a mesh of 15000 quads of the brightest nearby stars, plus another few thousand randomized faint stars.

That reminds me, at some point during the demo, two of the stars in the night sky disappear (on purpose). Can anyone guess which ones? :)
  • BaseDeltaZeroBaseDeltaZero Posts: 117
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    That reminds me, at some point during the demo, two of the stars in the night sky disappear (on purpose). Can anyone guess which ones? :)

Hmm, i do know of one...

Artist’s rendering of SN 1993J, where a red supergiant supernova progenitor star (left) is exploding after having transferred about seven solar masses of hydrogen gas to the blue companion star (right)

sn1993j.jpg

Best regards
    Astronerd...
    AF.jpg
    Ambient Flight Eagle Flight Experience
    Dinosaur Voyage Running from Dinosaurs
    Neo
    Hmm, i do know of one...

Artist’s rendering of SN 1993J, where a red supergiant supernova progenitor star (left) is exploding after having transferred about seven solar masses of hydrogen gas to the blue companion star (right)

Well, that's not one of the stars that disappears from the sky in Titans, but I learned something new anyway! Wouldn't that be a sight to behold in VR.... :)
  • CheesekeeperCheesekeeper Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    Hi Drash, just wanted to chime in and say that this is my favorite Rift experience so far. I love the way the music dynamically changes as you progress through the demo, and the amazing sense of scale as the larger stars are brought in. The appearance of asteroids and the accompanying build in the music sends shivers down my spine every time. It's an awesome simulation, and I really hope you continue to expand, as I for one can't get enough. Thanks for creating such a wonderful experience.......
  • virtovirto Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    After a variety of shipping delays, I finally got my DK yesterday. ToS was the first experience I've had with the rift...and I can't think of any better way to showcase what it can do.

Titans is beautiful, well thought out, engaging and highly entertaining. In my opinion, it's a work of art.

Thank you for all the work you've put into it.
  • nozajnozaj Posts: 4
    This has been by far the best VR experience I have had as of yet. I'm sure it will be the first demo i try out when i get the Consumer Oculus :) Hope you are planning to add more to the demo.