New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• vittoriovittorio Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Thank you so much for "Titans of Space"! I am so amazed and this is simply beautiful.

As I have already written in another thread: "For the past 10 years I was watching almost every night astronomy documentations. With 'Titans of space' I had for the first time the impression I have seen and experienced our solar system."

Please, don't stop. There are so much more things to experience in our universe, like galaxies.

Again, thank you so much!
  • jojonjojon Posts: 157
    drash wrote:
    On an unrelated note, I originally had a very rollercoaster-ish path through the tour, but it was really testing my VR legs in some places (like, in an awesome way but at the same time probably preventing people from going through the whole tour in one sitting). So, I smoothed it out to make it very comfortable for me, but I don't think I'm all that susceptible to motion sickness in the first place compared to others. I'm curious if anyone has had lurching stomachs at any point during the tour? If so, where? And, did turning on the guide paths (using the G key) help with giving you a heads up on what to expect? Thanks. :)

The tight rounding of Europa and Io was probably the "worst" for me, although it was never that bad - likely because I reflexively fixed my gaze on something and tracked it, whenever there was a hint of queaziness.

I guess having experienced the tour twice, before trying it with the path guides on, spoiled me, with regards to the motion sequence, so I'm of little help there, sorry. I would say they are of little help, when they are directly below and behind you, and obstructed by the chair, but on the other hand; I feel they are needed the least, when travelling backwards and you can see the view receeding.
  • FlukeFluke Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    drash wrote:
    On an unrelated note, I originally had a very rollercoaster-ish path through the tour, but it was really testing my VR legs in some places (like, in an awesome way but at the same time probably preventing people from going through the whole tour in one sitting). So, I smoothed it out to make it very comfortable for me, but I don't think I'm all that susceptible to motion sickness in the first place compared to others. I'm curious if anyone has had lurching stomachs at any point during the tour? If so, where? And, did turning on the guide paths (using the G key) help with giving you a heads up on what to expect? Thanks. :)

No motion sickness effects for me at all. I totally missed that there was a guide path option.

It would be nice to maybe have an optional auto-continue time out so the entire experience is input free once you start it going (would be good for when demoing the Rift so people don't sit starring at any given planet for too long).
    In-VR Gaming Convention: http://queue.vip/8nNttrc
  • zwickarrzwickarr Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    that was awesome drash! thanks for sharing it with us. Sounds and music stingers really made it even more immersive for me. great work.
  • JamesMcCraeJamesMcCrae Posts: 208
    Brain Burst
    This was incredible :)

People were right about comments in regards to the pacing and your fix works well - building confidence at first looking at planets and moons within the system, and then expecting the scope of the demo to end with that - but a look at the side percentage, no that's not a measure of oxygen or something but progression - hmm, but I feel like I've seen most of the solar system - why is this percentage still so low. It seems there is more to learn, interesting -

And then the larger stars come out and really scared me :) To see Vy Canis Majoris was rewarding and scary. It was great :D

This was an amazing experience. And a great demonstration of the Rift's use beyond gaming, a device that really could aid education.

Great job drash :)
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    Don't want to spoil the experience before I get my Rift, so I just quickly peeked in the demo... and it looks great even without the Rift. Congrats!
    As far as I saw, there's no audio narration though? I think that would add even more to the whole immersion and documentary feel. Anyway, just an idea if you intend to develop this project further.
  • KingK76KingK76 Posts: 257
    Art3mis
    VRoom wrote:
    Don't want to spoil the experience before I get my Rift, so I just quickly peeked in the demo... and it looks great even without the Rift. Congrats!
    As far as I saw, there's no audio narration though? I think that would add even more to the whole immersion and documentary feel. Anyway, just an idea if you intend to develop this project further.

I agree with this... but. The narration has to be good. To me, the guy narrating the MotM demo sounded annoying (mouth full of marbles kinda thing). There is a reason when you're watching History channel documentaries they hire excellent actors (generally known for having smooth voices) to do the voice works on their shows. My opinion is unless there is "good" narration, leave it to the passenger to read the info (or add narration and make it optional). Just my opinion here so please don't anybody get offended.
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    KingK76 wrote:
    I agree with this... but. The narration has to be good. To me, the guy narrating the MotM demo sounded annoying (mouth full of marbles kinda thing). There is a reason when you're watching History channel documentaries they hire excellent actors (generally known for having smooth voices) to do the voice works on their shows. My opinion is unless there is "good" narration, leave it to the passenger to read the info (or add narration and make it optional). Just my opinion here so please don't anybody get offended.
    Wholeheartedly agree. Good voice acting is a must.
    To find a good voice actor, I'd recomend this site: voice123.com
    I was using it for one of my projects. You publish description of your project and have free auditions over internet. You give interested voice actors some text to read and then choose the best one. Lots of them will even work gratis, if project looks good and would give them more exposure.
    Worth a look.
  • henrik3141henrik3141 Posts: 20
    As everybody befor said this is a really great demo! A good audio narration would add some awesomeness and i would like to have a "realsize version".
  • ChrikyChriky Posts: 12
    Oh my god, that was truly amazing.

I actually had to take the Rift off towards the end because the scale was starting to unnerve me :oops:
    Kind of embarrassing on my part, yes, but just demonstrates how powerful this demo is.

I actually want to take this to the Planetarium at Greenwich or the Science Museum. I can imagine they would buy like 5 Rifts and have a bank of them in a display, then pay a fair amount of money to use Titans of Space.

Seriously; in terms of educational space stuff I've seen, this is better than professional quality, its absolutely state of the art.
  • Chamb0Chamb0 Posts: 35
    I hated learning as a kid, but now WOW this is amazing
  • mahlermahler Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I really enjoyed that. One of the best demos sofar, well done. Donated a bit.

A few minor details.
    There was drift in both the Rift and the Hydra.
    I was able to reset the Hydra drift (pressing start again) but at some point I lost the orientation completely.
    Near the end, I was starting to feel a little sick, eventhough you were able to

Finally, after finishing the demo and taking of the Rift. I felt that my eyes were crossed and it took a couple of minutes for me to get them straight. This happened to me with a few other demos before. Could this be a matter of IPD calibration?
  • peteclarkelondonpeteclarkelondon Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Just wanted to say what an utterly compelling and fantastic Riftscape this is. Not only that but I feel I have learned something in the process.

I especially want to mention how wonderful the UI is, the orientation request at the beginning, the way the instructions are laid out, there are many elements here that other developers should take note of. I can't count the times that I've fired off a demo and picked up the Rift only to realise I was looking in he right direction, this has all of the bases covered and even ends beautifully.

All in, not only is it technically very polished, it has obviously been done with a large amount of thought, love and dedication into providing a 'finished' experience. Even better that it seemed to come from nowhere, no half finished version or youtube clips to look out weeks in advance. Bravo, bravo indeed :D (and thank-you!)
  • joeljoel Posts: 2
    Amazing, excellent work. If it's not the best Oculus demo yet, it's right at the top.

One minor quibble: I seemed to have a lot of FOV drift in ToS, more than I typically have in most demos. I really appreciate the 'B' key remapping of the FOV—that should be mandatory in all VR until the hardware can fix it on the fly—but I thought I'd bring in up. I tending to feel like I'd get a 1-2 degree drift just from looking from side to side.
  • joeljoel Posts: 2
    (Also, I should have finished reading the rest of the thread first. Looks like you're on top of the drift.)
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    SteelClawz wrote:
    That was the MoSt Amazing simulation i have seen yet! Better than a trip to the planetarium, and the planetary simulation at the aquarium of the pacific in long beach. what a professional demo

1080p worked awesome...

i got a fast computer!!

Same here, works like a treat and looks incredible.

www.ir-ltd.net
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    VRoom wrote:
    KingK76 wrote:
    Wholeheartedly agree. Good voice acting is a must.
    To find a good voice actor, I'd recomend this site: voice123.com
    I was using it for one of my projects. You publish description of your project and have free auditions over internet. You give interested voice actors some text to read and then choose the best one. Lots of them will even work gratis, if project looks good and would give them more exposure.
    Worth a look.

Narration would be good.

I would pay good money to experience something like this in VR on the Rift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxmGeIA67A the Solar System and beyond!

"Journey to the edge of the Universe HD

A space journey from Earth to the edge of the Universe narrated by Alec Baldwin."

www.ir-ltd.net
  • jaraldojaraldo Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Absolutely amazing experience! The sense of scale was mind blowing. Couldn't help but be reminded of Mass Effect when going through this demo and wishing I could visit these planets in person :)
  • svensven Posts: 339
    Hiro Protagonist
    Great experience, nicely polished!
    I experienced some sensor drift also but pressing "b" every now and then corrected it. Are you using the latest SDK with gyro calibration?

One question: How do I know if my graphics card is fast enough and I am not missing some eye candy? It looked really cool ;) I'm using a Radeon HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6.
  • mrmaffenmrmaffen Posts: 66
    Brain Burst
    Absolutely mindblowing experience. One Wow-moment after the other. Thanks for making this!
    zWgJRNs.png
  • boone188boone188 Posts: 231
    This is a very cool experience. Thanks for sharing. Definitely the next generation of the planetarium!
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,840
    Trinity
    To those asking about narration/voiceovers, that's an interesting idea and I hadn't even considered that. I really appreciate the tip from VRoom about voice123.com! We'll see. :)

Also, I can't promise anything, but I'll consider making an option to show stuff at full size, as well as an option to have a free-running demo loop with auto-continue, etc.
    jojon wrote:
    EDIT: Any alternative ways of tipping? ...or should one just throw one's trust into the intangible world of bitcoin? :7
    You're not the only one to ask me this, so I've added a PayPal donation button at http://www.crunchywood.com. Thank you! :)
    I could not calibrate to lie down and look forward (would love to see this feature)
    I quickly tried to get this to work but apparently not as simple as it looks! I'll let you know if I ever do get this working. I'm actually pretty curious what happens if your physical "up" isn't the same as the in-game "up".
    People were right about comments in regards to the pacing and your fix works well - building confidence at first looking at planets and moons within the system, and then expecting the scope of the demo to end with that - but a look at the side percentage, no that's not a measure of oxygen or something but progression - hmm, but I feel like I've seen most of the solar system - why is this percentage still so low. It seems there is more to learn, interesting -
    Thanks for giving me this insight and confirming that this tweak helped. :D
    mahler wrote:
    I really enjoyed that. One of the best demos sofar, well done. Donated a bit.
    Thank you!!
    mahler wrote:
    A few minor details.
    There was drift in both the Rift and the Hydra.
    I was able to reset the Hydra drift (pressing start again) but at some point I lost the orientation completely.
    Near the end, I was starting to feel a little sick, eventhough you were able to
    I admit I didn't use the Hydra quite long enough to see if there was drift, but yes it should be easily resettable back to "leaning back in your seat" like you said. If something goes wrong with the Hydra and want to stop using positional body tracking at any time, you can just re-dock that Hydra controller.
    mahler wrote:
    Finally, after finishing the demo and taking of the Rift. I felt that my eyes were crossed and it took a couple of minutes for me to get them straight. This happened to me with a few other demos before. Could this be a matter of IPD calibration?
    Sorry to hear this. The user's IPD is adjustable in-app, but I have heard that you can still have an actual IPD that is too low or too high for the Rift's fixed lenses.
    Infinite wrote:
    I would pay good money to experience something like this in VR on the Rift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxmGeIA67A the Solar System and beyond!

"Journey to the edge of the Universe HD

A space journey from Earth to the edge of the Universe narrated by Alec Baldwin."
    Oh wow, this is *fantastic*! I never heard about this one, and now I have something to watch today. :D

I actually wanted to do something like Titans of Space because of an old documentary I watched as a kid called "Voyage to the Outer Planets and Beyond" hosted by Isaac Asimov, which is set to the soundtrack of The Planets by Gustav Holst. Pairing the visuals from the Voyager probes with *that* music was just stunning (and still is).
    sven wrote:
    I experienced some sensor drift also but pressing "b" every now and then corrected it. Are you using the latest SDK with gyro calibration?
    I am using the latest SDK (for Unity), but it's entirely possible I'm not using it correctly. The SDK can either calibrate the magnetometer manually or automatically, but either way it apparently needs four readings in "wildly different directions" to do the yaw correction. Right now I'm thinking it's possible that if you were leaning forward to reach your keyboard and did the calibration there, and then sat back in your seat for the tour, maybe those readings would be invalidated? I'm not sure how sensitive it is to moving from the position where you calibrated, so that's something I need to look into.
    sven wrote:
    One question: How do I know if my graphics card is fast enough and I am not missing some eye candy? It looked really cool I'm using a Radeon HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6.
    That's a good question! If the app runs smooth as silk when it drops you in front of Earth the first time, it's probably not dropping any eye candy at all. I can tell you that the first piece of eye candy to go is the animated swirly stuff on the surface of the sun (and other stars). After that, the lighting of your own self and cockpit from the stars. After that, maybe the cockpit dashboard stuff just behind the tour guide panel readout (I still haven't found a free/affordable polygon reduction tool so that alone was a stupidly high amount of vertices). Further down the line are the asteroids (mesh first, then billboarded ones second). Stuff like that.
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • NadiroNadiro Posts: 11
    Just wanted to weigh in with thanks as well, what an amazing experience. I've had a printout of the wikipedia image of relative star sizes on my fridge for a while now ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Star-sizes.jpg ), and have had to replace it as guests stop, look, get their minds blown, and have to take a copy. Now I can REALLY blow their minds with Titans of Space! Kudos for doing what I was hoping to do with the Rift, and making it so much better than what I could have done that I don't feel jealousy, just awe, heh.

As an aside, I came upon this forum due to issues with the yaw drift as well, glad that it's a known issue, was fearing that it was the hardware instead. The Up and Left work registrations work, but it doesn't seem to register Right, and once skipped it quite quickly drifts the entire scene towards the left.

Congratulations again on creating a moving, educational experience - truly showing the potential of this technology.
  • paulb29paulb29 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    This is the most incredible thing I have ever seen on a computer. It dwarfs any traditional documentary/TV experience on the subject. I can only, humbly, ask you to develop it further and add content. Many thanks for sharing this!
  • oipoistaroipoistar Posts: 5
    Dude, you nailed it. Hope the dev kit screen gets updated soon to do your work justice.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,840
    Trinity
    Posted v1.2 (links in the first post and on website), and should address a few of the simpler requests so far.

Changelog for v1.1 -> v1.2:
    1. Bugfix: On slower/older machines, one of the large stars stuck around when it shouldn't have.
    2. Feature: Use L key to toggle planet/star labels (but you have to toggle it twice before it works, I'll fix that next time).
    3. Cockpit (and your suited body) is now 20% larger.
    4. Adjusted flight path round Europa & Io.
    5. Made it a little bit more clear that if the user skips the drift calibration at the beginning, the forward direction may need to be frequently reset during the tour.

Thanks again for all the support everyone. :)
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • ianmacmillanianmacmillan Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is truly an amazing piece of work, and I can't thank you enough for posting it. Paypal donation on the way.

Minor niggle: Since it's really an educational piece, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that your "stops of interest" descriptions all contain a grammatical error: they should read "such and such is some percentage of Earth's." (Note the apostrophe in Earth's)

Sorry to be that guy. :(
  • brantlewbrantlew Posts: 540 Oculus Staff
    Jaw-on-floor great!! Perfect demo for non-gamers to demonstrate the power of VR. Like others have mentioned, getting close to those giant stars is really unnerving. They look so impossibly huge and menacing.
  • ReTReT Posts: 191
    spire8989 wrote:
    This thread plus the new horror demo is making the wait for my Rift nearly unbearable. Stop making awesome demos for a week or so until I get mine. Thanks ^_^

Haha, I feel your pain! I've actually got goose bumps just reading other peoples comments here. I cant believe how emotional just READING some of these remarks is actually making me. I'm sitting here thinking 'Can it REALLY be THAT good?'...but it MUST be - look at these reactions!'

This really does seem like it could be the VR we all dreamed about as children/young teens! I have pretty much every conceivable Rift-Ready demo or game that I can find and I most definately think that THIS is the one to try out first when mine arrives, based on these comments alone.
  • RoTaToR1979RoTaToR1979 Posts: 115
    Brain Burst
    RIFTAWE !!! :shock: :D

But i did an +180° while playing/watching this... Isnt there a solution for the "Rift-Drift"?