New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    Great suggestions Erick!
    I'd gladly pay for such educational tour as well.
  • MarbasMarbas Posts: 112
    edited July 2013
    drash wrote:
    If anyone else is working on a space-themed virtuality, I can't wait to see it! :)

[Edit]
    I've also been working on a space themed app for the rift. Not sure whether to release it yet, as it might get merged as a story feature into my game Flymachine. So it would make more sense to showcase it in context with the game...when (and if) it's hopefully done someday :) Im working on 4 types of vr-games simultaneously. Not very wise I know. But what can you do? The Rift is so dev-inspiring! :D
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    This is totally amazing. You deserve some kind of award for this. And you should sell this. Both to individuals, and to schools.

I'm going to show this to everyone.

I made a program like this when I was a child. My program looks like complete rubbish now that I've seen this. It just drew unfilled circles of different sizes on the screen. :)

I tried version 1.33, and I had a few suggestions, but I see they've already been fixed! I'm downloading the new version now.

Thank you so much! (And thank you Oculus!)

BTW, the body was the best I've seen so far. It really felt convincingly like my own body, especially when I rested my hands in the same pose.
  • sobchaksobchak Posts: 99
    Drash, thanks so much for this!

I've ran through it many times and it is easily the first thing I'll demo for people when they come around asking about VR. And anyone with their VR legs should definitely select the higher motion intensity option (I forget the wording of the option in the menu). I'd love to see more detail when we fly close to some planets and especially stars. The sun's slowly 'boiling' surface would be amazing (though probably much more GPU intensive). What are you using to author the splines of the camera path?

Keep up the amazing work, I can't wait to see future versions!
  • sobchaksobchak Posts: 99
    erick wrote:
    Instead of a static, linear tour, perhaps you could include a couple of branching paths/nodes. For example, approaching a planet might allow you to choose between tours to learn more about the atmosphere, more about the surface, or you could simply move on to the next astrological body.
    Oh heck yes!
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,840
    Trinity
    edited July 2013
    erick, all of your suggestions are really excellent and incredibly encouraging, thank you! I'm definitely considering getting this sort of thing onto Steam, and I'm glad Steam now supports in-app DLC, because the business model you suggested sounds perfect to me. I'm still a bit wary of charging money for something like this since I really enjoy working on it, but I'm told I shouldn't give away my time for free.
    Marbas wrote:
    Im working on 4 types of vr-games simultaneously. Not very wise I know. But what can you do? The Rift is so dev-inspiring!

Same here! It's been really hard to choose what to work on every time I sit down at the computer, and sometimes that indecision just leads me to playing other people's Rift demos and games. :)
    2EyeGuy wrote:
    I made a program like this when I was a child. My program looks like complete rubbish now that I've seen this. It just drew unfilled circles of different sizes on the screen. :)

I'd actually love to see this if you still have it around! And, speaking of playing other people's stuff, I actually fired up your modded Doom 3 BFG at lunchtime today -- really great work! I'm grateful you put the time and effort in to put that together, because I'm just blown away by how everything old is new again in VR. I jumped at the first sight of that robot crawler thing (again), and I spend tons of time closely looking at all the environmental details I glossed over in the past. I noticed and actually played that Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 game for a bit, I don't ever remember seeing that before haha. :D
    sobchak wrote:
    I'd love to see more detail when we fly close to some planets and especially stars. The sun's slowly 'boiling' surface would be amazing (though probably much more GPU intensive). What are you using to author the splines of the camera path?

Extreme stellar surface detail and dynamics will come at some point! Right now there is already a bit of GPU-intensive animated bubbly/boiling effect on the stars in Titans of Space, but that's the first thing to go if the framerate can't be maintained. I definitely want to go way beyond that. Oh, and for the splines, I'm using a modified version of the CameraPath third-party Unity asset.
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • erickerick Posts: 125
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    I'm still a bit wary of charging money for something like this since I really enjoy working on it, but I'm told I shouldn't give away my time for free.
    Hey, it's okay to make money by doing what you love! In fact, I prefer to pay for software that was built with sincere enthusiasm.

I really hope this becomes successful for you because I'm excited to see more of your work. Really great stuff.

Another thought: You could have mission tours. For example, we could follow the exploration of the Galileo probe. From it's antenna and recorder failures, to it's fly through in the asteroid belt, to it's study of Jupiter and moons, and ultimately to it's destruction.
  • My favorite demo to date. This is the first thing I show to first timers. It doesn't seem to make anyone motion sick and is a beautiful experience.
    My Old Projects
    QuantaCube

DK2 Owner
    /u/diregoat on reddit
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    I'll be updating the Spanish translation later today. Thanks for the changes drash!

EDIT: Translation updated, sent to drash!

By the way, am I the only one with problems to enable antialiasing? It looks like there is some kind of conflict between showing fps and AA keypresses. Sometimes I press F to show fps and it also turns on antialiasing. And most of the time I press A to enable antialiasing and it just does nothing.

I'm using a Radeon 7970 card with Catalyst 13.6 beta under Windows 7 x64
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • AngelJAngelJ Posts: 173
    I finally had a chance to try this and WOW, it's really as amazing as everyone says. Great job!
    Trinity
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    I'll be updating the Spanish translation later today. Thanks for the changes drash!

EDIT: Translation updated, sent to drash!

By the way, am I the only one with problems to enable antialiasing? It looks like there is some kind of conflict between showing fps and AA keypresses. Sometimes I press F to show fps and it also turns on antialiasing. And most of the time I press A to enable antialiasing and it just does nothing.

I'm using a Radeon 7970 card with Catalyst 13.6 beta under Windows 7 x64

Sorry, missed this post! Thank you too LordJuanlo, your new translation is posted up on the website -- your translations are awesome as usual. I guess I should leave my Spanish skills back in high school where they belong huh. :)

I still haven't seen the issue with the FPS vs AA toggles -- if anyone else runs into this please do let me know either here on via PM. Thanks!
  • Drash, this was the greatest thing I have experienced so far, especially the transition to the red hyper giant is great.

Some suggestions:
    - are you planing to add additional stars at the end like Sirius, Aldebran or Betelgeuse or do you feel it would lessen the impact of the current build-up?
    - Is there any chance to expand on earth, maybe comparing its scale to recently discovered super-earths?
    - Any plans on showcasing the transition of one of those hyper giants via super novae/gamma ray burst or hypernovae into a neutron/pulsar/magnetar
    - black holes / supermassive black holes? :)
  • any chance that you'll compile for linux? ubuntu is an easy platform to support.
  • CaptnYesterdayCaptnYesterday Posts: 87
    Brain Burst
    Hi Drash. Just tried the new version. Love the new star backdrop. This is ALWAYS my go-to for relaxing. You are importing the SDK IPD. Great job!

One thing (and I do not remember if this was in the 1.33), but when I sit between Ganymede and Callisto (one of my favorite spots) I love to look over the left shoulder back towards our sun and the inner planets. I see a line, or 2 close together, across the the sun about 2/3rds down. I suspects this is orbit pathing for something? Is that needed? I did not see a way to toggle that line.

This is still by far my favorite demo. I hate to add to the requests, but ever think of adding more about our own sun?
    We have it's age, so how about some numbers and visualizations surrounding it's red giant phase? You already have something like it when overlaying the other stars onto our solar system. Roughly 8 Billion from years from now our sun should reach the apex size of it's red giant state (256 times it's current size). That would be an impressive visual seeing how it would reach out maybe as far as Earth. Really, any visualization of our sun's timeline would be cool. (you could even leave out the idea that it's reduced mass at that size may actually increase the orbiting diameters and spare our planet. By 'spare', I mean the the hunk of oceanless dead rock it will be in about 1 Billion more years of our sun growing hotter and brighter. Stellar evolution is so freaking awesome!!!!!!!

Forgot this was the OC VR forum for a minute... Anyway, ever figure out why your demo looks so much better after scaling down from 1080p or 1200p(And which of these is optimal to scale from)? I found a few demos that I could not tell any diff from a starting point of 1280x800 or 1200p (EDIT: I assume that 1920x1200 is best as it keeps the 1280x800's 16:10 aspect ratio).

Sorry for all the question, I just get very excited by this demo every time I show someone or go through it again myself.
    Trinity
    kawala1978 wrote:
    Drash, this was the greatest thing I have experienced so far, especially the transition to the red hyper giant is great.

Some suggestions:
    - are you planing to add additional stars at the end like Sirius, Aldebran or Betelgeuse or do you feel it would lessen the impact of the current build-up?
    - Is there any chance to expand on earth, maybe comparing its scale to recently discovered super-earths?
    - Any plans on showcasing the transition of one of those hyper giants via super novae/gamma ray burst or hypernovae into a neutron/pulsar/magnetar
    - black holes / supermassive black holes? :)

Thank you! And, you are spot-on with the reason I didn't include those other stars. I wanted there to be a significant order-of-magnitude jump between stars. As for all of the rest of the stuff you mentioned, I am indeed planning to do all of that. :) Thanks for the suggestions!
    any chance that you'll compile for linux? ubuntu is an easy platform to support.

You're the first to ask, and sure, no problem. I just PM'd you with a link and maybe you can let me know if it works for you?
    One thing (and I do not remember if this was in the 1.33), but when I sit between Ganymede and Callisto (one of my favorite spots) I love to look over the left shoulder back towards our sun and the inner planets. I see a line, or 2 close together, across the the sun about 2/3rds down. I suspects this is orbit pathing for something? Is that needed? I did not see a way to toggle that line.

I was wondering if anyone would think that was a glitch -- those are actually Jupiter's faint rings! I'll reconsider having them get in the way of a good view until after you've passed Jupiter.
    Really, any visualization of our sun's timeline would be cool.

Agreed, and thanks for the suggestion!
    Anyway, ever figure out why your demo looks so much better after scaling down from 1080p or 1200p(And which of these is optimal to scale from)?

Here's my amateur answer to that: If a game or demo internally renders to the same resolution as what the user eventually sees (and without any anti-aliasing going on), the color of each pixel was essentially chosen without knowing what the neighboring pixels look like, so you end up with blocky lines that go from dark to light (or from one hue to another) at the pixel boundary. When the game renders to a higher resolution target before downscaling to the target that the user sees, there is "information" from multiple pixels encoded into each final pixel in the form of crude averaging or whatever the Rift display does when it downscales. It's better than nothing, and while applying AA on a 1280x800 render could reach the same result, there are lots of issues and decisions that come with that: 1) Which type of AA to use? 2) When to apply AA, before or after lens correction? 3) How much of a performance hit will it be? Even then, some types of AA will also render to higher resolution and downscale it. But, the Rift downscaling from 1920x1080 to 1280x800 appears to be practically free at this point.

And finally, I don't have a 1200p monitor to test with, so I can't say. It stands to reason that it's probably slightly better!
  • CaptnYesterdayCaptnYesterday Posts: 87
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2013
    Amateur or not, that scaling explanation makes logical sense and satisfies my curiosity. I see the same level of visual improvement when scaling 1200p on HL2 as well.

Also, it should not matter what monitor you have to test all available resolutions on the rift. Try this if you want to test:

-In windows desktop, go to resolution (display properties) and extend the desktop to the rift (not duplicate or you are bound by the monitor resolutions when running the app and latency is added)
    -Get the demo folder ready and place towards the center of the screen.
    -Make the Rift your main display.
    -Run the demo from the rift or look through it and pull the first screen on to the monitor and work from there. This part sucks and is awkward and uncomfortable.
    -Now you may choose any resolution that you like without being bound by your monitor's res or the latency that duplicating a screen adds.

I will do some testing today with different resolutions, aspect ratios and let you know.

EDIT: Tested with different aspect ratios and a few different configurations of setting up the display in windows. My monitor is native 1680x1050 (which become the max display for the rift to scale from) and I do can NOT recommend duplicating display unless you have a 1200p or 1080p primary display. 1200p is best to scale from for rift demos as the aspect ration matches. In this demo you can see a difference in aspect ratios by tilting your head and the planets warp from wide to tall. 1080p looks ok, but 1680x1050 looked terrible.

Due to the spherical objects, this is a great demo to test on.
  • CaineCaine Posts: 208
    Enjoyed seeing the improvements, definitely one of the best OR apps out there, and if you're not careful, you might actually learn something playing it! ;)
    Trinity
    The Italian translation has been updated for v1.34, and a new Czech translation has been submitted, thanks to Luděk Novotný! I'm told that not all of the Czech alphabet is supported but that it's still quite readable. Both are posted up on the website.
  • nvstewartnvstewart Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the update drash. And thanks for including the "nonstop" mode in this build.
  • arcanearcane Posts: 13
    Drash, just wanted to thankyou for your work on this. It is my favourite demo thus far, and also the one I was most looking forward to trying after following the forums and feedback on the net.

Love the scale, and the flow is great to maintain the sense of awe throughout. Can't wait to see what you do next.
    Order #54XXX --- Sydney, Australia --- Frequent Lurker, Sometimes Poster
  • lossofmercylossofmercy Posts: 242
    Brain Burst
    Pretty cool starfield, made the experience better! Now we just need the actual stars to move relative to the positions ;P. I do notice that it made me a bit more queasy this time more than others tho (fps dropped to 50-55 when all stars+planets are shown), although it's nice to actually see the asteroid field.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Posts: 46
    This is my go-to demo for first time rifters. Great work man.
  • FictionXFictionX Posts: 289
    Drash, Africanrhino... did the Linux build work? I would also very much like to be able to run the demo in Linux.

- and thanks for a great experience, Drash! Yours is probably the most professional looking rift demo out there. Considering how young this incarnation of VR is, it's amazing how polished this looks and how well it works.
  • McGibs30McGibs30 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    this demo is phenomenal. the scale, the music, the information, staggering.

this is what the rift was made for, things like this. everyone who i showed this demo to blew their minds
    Trinity
    FictionX wrote:
    Drash, Africanrhino... did the Linux build work? I would also very much like to be able to run the demo in Linux.

As far as I can tell, the Linux build is unfortunately riddled with problems for the people that have requested a build and tried it for themselves. As a result I wouldn't feel comfortable posting a Linux build even with disclaimer that it probably won't work. Apparently there are quite a few Linux variants and Unity in general doesn't really work on maybe half of them at this point.

Some other Rift demos built for Linux seem to run into these same issues, but I have now realized there's more than a handful of people wanting Linux builds of demos (not just Titans of Space), so I'm trying to get a Linux box set up for testing to sort out what kind of support I can offer, but It might be another week or so since I'm pretty new to Linux. Sorry for the bad news!
  • FredzFredz Posts: 545
    Brain Burst
    I've attached the Player.log file from the ~/.config/unity3d/Starcore Software/Titans of Space directory. Here are the 2 repeating errors I had :
    DllNotFoundException: sixense
      at (wrapper managed-to-native) SixensePlugin:sixenseInit ()
      at SixenseInput.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    (Filename:  Line: 4294967295)

DllNotFoundException: XInputInterface
      at (wrapper managed-to-native) XInputDotNetPure.Imports:XInputGamePadGetState (uint,intptr)
      at XInputDotNetPure.GamePad.GetState (PlayerIndex playerIndex, GamePadDeadZone deadZone) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at XInputDotNetPure.GamePad.GetState (PlayerIndex playerIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at TourGuide.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    (Filename:  Line: 4294967295)

The 32 bits version only displayed a black screen on my machine (Debian/unstable 64bits with GeForce GTX460 and NVIDIA binary driver) but the 64 bits version displayed the menu correctly with warping and head-tracking was working. I was not able to go further since the keyboard, mouse or Xbox 360 controller didn't react to my actions, so I think the problem is only related to input controls as shown in the error log.

Glad you're working on this. :)
  • SMOK3YSMOK3Y Posts: 259
    drash I have got to say this is an awesome 'demo' mate well done. it was weird to look down and see my (a) body but helps in immersion and this was the first demo I have felt queasy with but I soldiered though lol look forward to anything else you put together mate
  • RavenRaven Posts: 90 Oculus Partner
    You really got the body correctly! Definitely got the feeling of being seated there.

One constructive criticism about the menus/info windows, they kind of feel like they're all screaming for attention — making none of them really get attention. Maybe if you'd tone down the frames you're not actively looking at it would make for a more comfortable reading.

Good job overall!
    Trinity
    Thanks Fredz and tlp for all your help in troubleshooting Linux stuff. My day job has been busy but I've still got my eye on getting things to work great on Linux.
    Raven wrote:
    One constructive criticism about the menus/info windows, they kind of feel like they're all screaming for attention — making none of them really get attention. Maybe if you'd tone down the frames you're not actively looking at it would make for a more comfortable reading.

Excellent point and suggestion -- and I honestly wondered why no one else mentioned this until now. :lol: Thanks for that!
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    My take on this.
    One of the best ones around, and the detail is just wonderful.
    Keep up the fantastic work.

I hope you dont mind, I've posted a video at http://www.virtualreality.com.au and youtube.