New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• drashdrash Posts: 2,840
    Trinity
    I'm quite flattered, whoisonline! That's actually a really unique approach to doing video reviews of Rift apps. Partway through the video it dawned on me that you're not showing a stereo-pair -- how did you do that? Also, I'm happy to see a video review that isn't full of bugs from older versions, so thanks! :)
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • andyr123andyr123 Posts: 43
    Hi drash

What a great demo. First and only demo i've tried on the Rift so far (which arrived yesterday)

The best compliment i can give you is that when i saw the quote from Sagan, i thought if he was still alive and saw this, i'm sure he would have been blown away with your work - this demo was made for him. Really, well done.

I have some suggestions! Maybe some have been suggested already

1. When in AutoPilot, hitting Enter should pause the demo. At some points i'd love to stop and take in the view!
    2. If Enter is hit twice quickly (rather than the once to move on), then go back one step. Sometimes i want to repeat a bit again because its so awesome!
    3. Left and Right arrow on keyboard should rotate the astronauts pod. (i dont think up and down would work). This would also be great whilst in the AutoPilot mode also so you can rotate whilst moving
    4.Does the Hydra on the body allow you to rotate the pod? When i'm in a swivel chair, i'd live the hydra to allow me to rotate in my chair, which would perform the action above in (3).
    5. Finally, if you could integrate the Leap to allow you to press buttons on the pods console to do some of the above then that would be truely awesome. ie show the virtual arms/hands moving so i can point at a virtual button to do the above. (or a cursor system like lunar lander so the rift moves a virtual mouse pointer when you look down at the console?)
    6. Can you store the settings for Vsync, AA, fast movement mode etc?

Cant wait to show my kids..they will be blown away too - and a great way to get them interested in science.

thank you!!
    Hi
    having played around further, i think (4) would be better if it moved the chair in the pod, rather than the pod itself, leavig the arrow keys to move the pod itself. Or maybe make it optional.
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    This was just incredible. One of the first demos and one of the best demos I've tried. I have knew the sizes of Sun and other big stars, but seeing them like this really blew my mind. Text was readable, music was fitting and nice, planets looked great. This was just a perfect demo.
  • dplewisdplewis Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    This is one of my favourite demos to show off my Rift!

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but this week It was also featured on the TV show "Good Game" in Australia :)
    Trinity
    Thank you all for the continued feedback, it's very useful and encouraging! And dplewis, thanks for heads up on the "Good Game" mention, and good luck on your Shark Mountain demo. :)
    andyr123 wrote:
    The best compliment i can give you is that when i saw the quote from Sagan, i thought if he was still alive and saw this, i'm sure he would have been blown away with your work - this demo was made for him. Really, well done.

I have some suggestions! Maybe some have been suggested already

Wow, that's actually an incredible compliment. Thank you! You gave some great suggestions as well, and I've made notes on them. However, I have to tell you that I probably won't be releasing any more updates for the time being as I'm working on some big changes that probably won't see the light of day for a while. Thanks though. :)
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    drash wrote:
    I'm quite flattered, whoisonline! That's actually a really unique approach to doing video reviews of Rift apps. Partway through the video it dawned on me that you're not showing a stereo-pair -- how did you do that? Also, I'm happy to see a video review that isn't full of bugs from older versions, so thanks! :)

Thanks for the experience and liking my vids.
    I wanted to keep them simple and a bit immersive perhaps .. removing the stereo pair and putting me in the view helps to do the trick i think. I just get my screen recording software to just record that part of my screen.

I'm keeping my eye out for your updates :-)
  • mstdesignsmstdesigns Posts: 298
    By far one of the best demos on the rift out there. Would love to see more :D
    Have you considered making a much longer commercial version which would be for educational purposes?
  • evohevoh Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Hey all, I am having a bit of a problem. I tried out titans of space a few times and it was amazing. Then all of a sudden it started crashing. I have deleted and re-downloaded it, restarted my computer numerous times etc etc. but nothing seems to work. It first opens up a window that asks if I want to restore the window (not the OS) after a crash before promptly crashing again. seriously frustrating.

I am running it on OSX. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Ben.
  • jweaverjweaver Posts: 174
    Got my Rift today.. Popped home at lunch time and had some resolution issues, so ran out of time.. But I did manage a few mins on ToS and I have to say WOW!! Unbelievable..

Sure, the Oculus display is pretty poor, but the overall effect is just incredible.. I kept banging my hands on the underside of my desk trying to bring them up to the keyboard, just because the effect was so incredible because in VR my desk wasn't there.

I had seen Youtube videos of people saying the Sun was huge and frankly I didn't really think it was anything special... Until I started to fly past.. And then i found it quite intimidating having something so big, so close to me.. Then as little bits of space debris came between me and the sun, I found myself naturally looking/following them... Like it was the normal thing to do.. Just amazing!!

I don't think I have ever been quite so moved by a piece of technology... This is the future for sure and I can't wait to see what you come up with next....
  • Hello. Just another linux user here who would love to play with your beautiful demo.
    I only had time for a quick play yesterday but could not get past the calibration.. it said look up, which I did, and after looking in that general direction for a few seconds, it said "look left".. But I never got past htis point and had to hit escape.

It still worked fine, but I would obviously like to do it properly.. What am I missing?

Jon
  • Version 1.33 calibration worked perfectly for me. When I updated to 1.34 I cannot get through calibration no matter how hard I look to my left. I'm just sticking to 1.33 till the dev works it out.
    enterman wrote:
    Version 1.33 calibration worked perfectly for me. When I updated to 1.34 I cannot get through calibration no matter how hard I look to my left. I'm just sticking to 1.33 till the dev works it out.

Never thought to try.. But I wonder if the calibration is worth skipping over the benifits in 1.34.. After all, 1.34 uses the new SDK which is less prone to drifting.. So perhaps its the better option, even if you can't calibrate?

Jon
  • ccsccs Posts: 219
    Hiro Protagonist
    Awesome demo! My favorite so far out of the 10 I have tried. I have had my Rift for 4 days now.

But, one warning to new Rift users. I tried this demo first, which I think was a mistake! I think the Rift takes some time to get used to. I was too distracted with my eyeballs touching the lens, smears on the lenses from touching my face while putting on, getting the straps comfortable, having the wrong IPD setting, noticing the screen door, etc. So I didn't actually enjoy my 1st run through of this demo. It took me about a full day to get everything set correctly, and then when I went back to this demo, I could truly enjoy it.

So I think I recommend to new Rift owners to try other less exciting demos 1st until you have everything set the way you want. You'll enjoy this demo that much more if you hold off viewing it!

And please developers - make more stuff like this! I'm working on a "recreation" demo myself, but I'm seriously considering shelving that for now and doing something more educational like this. The possibilities in engineering and science are limitless with this thing! Oculus has just opened a whole new dimension of applications. Exciting times we are living in right now!
  • I am a space fanatic, so I definitely can't wait to get my Rift and try this and blue marble out. This looks great. :D
    Trinity
    Thanks ccs, I agree that education can be a lot more engaging in VR, such that you could barely call it "education" anymore!

superjoe, I'll add you to my list of linux users to bother if I can get it working. :)
    evoh wrote:
    Hey all, I am having a bit of a problem. I tried out titans of space a few times and it was amazing. Then all of a sudden it started crashing. I have deleted and re-downloaded it, restarted my computer numerous times etc etc. but nothing seems to work. It first opens up a window that asks if I want to restore the window (not the OS) after a crash before promptly crashing again. seriously frustrating.

I'm not sure what to suggest here. If it worked before and now it's not, either a dependent library has been changed or removed (maybe you've installed or uninstalled something lately?), or maybe your computer is all dusty and your GPU is getting too hot? Sorry to hear about this! You can PM me if you want to troubleshoot.
    mstdesigns wrote:
    Have you considered making a much longer commercial version which would be for educational purposes?

I have thought about it! There's just so many ways to go with this stuff. VR is ripe!
    jweaver wrote:
    But I wonder if the calibration is worth skipping over the benifits in 1.34.. After all, 1.34 uses the new SDK which is less prone to drifting.. So perhaps its the better option, even if you can't calibrate?

Jon

If you are the kind of person that uses the Rift to look around at your surroundings, that calibration procedure at the beginning is completely redundant now. Automatic calibration is turned on if you skip it and that has been doing a really good job in my experience. I'm tempted to scrap the manual calibration, or at least make people less guilty if they skip it. :)

If the top-most indicator light (with the yellow circle around it in the above image) is RED, then you're not calibrated and it means you need to look around some more. Once it turns green, you're calibrated and good to go. If it ever turns yellow that means drift correction is actually happening (slowly rotating your view to correct for drift). It usually only turns yellow if you look in the general forward direction (which should happen often here).
    Trinity
    Also, two generous people submitted their French translations today. What a coincidence!
    1. French (France's reform of 1990) translation by RedGuff, aka M. Saussereau Dominique,
    2. French translation by EnterTheRift.fr
    They are both available at the translations section of the website. :)
    Regarding crash on MAC.

I get that now also.

I'm on 2007 iMAC using the mini-dvi to hdmi connection.

I think the crash is due to changing the resolution of the screen. I had first set my monitor to 1200x800 and it was fine.

Then i set it to 1920x1080 and it wouldnt start. Now, even setting back to 1200x800 it wont work. I've also deleted and re-installed, and it wont work.

Can anyone else try and reproduce? BTW, I get something similar on Minecraft using the Rift, so it might not just be TOS...maybe even a bug in the SDK (I can get tuscany demo to still work)
  • For some reason I'm unable to push Gamepad A or Space to start? I can push Esc at the the beginning, or gamepad B to cancel, but I can't start the tour? Any help?
    Trinity
    For some reason I'm unable to push Gamepad A or Space to start? I can push Esc at the the beginning, or gamepad B to cancel, but I can't start the tour? Any help?

Very odd! This was working for you before right? I see you mentioning it in a Rift review/impressions thread. If you've installed it on a different computer and it's stuck at the beginning and unresponsive, I had that problem on my parent's older computer and the solution was to download and install the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)" (available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555)

Hope that helps!
  • DannySwishDannySwish Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi!

During another playthrough of your fantastic tour, I noticed an option in the settings popup: 'Motion Intensity.' After I turned that to 'High,' everything was even more entertaining, and I noticed during the flyby past Earth that the clouds visibly had altitude above the rest of the planet. That was really cool.

Anyway, to my point...

During those close flyby's, I found myself arching my neck over my shoulder in an effort to watch myself skim over the surfaces of some of the bodies. This made me think about how amazing it would be if I actually descended even closer, with, for example, Earth's oceans closer to my feet. I could look down, and see the planet whisk away underneath me, and afterwards, take off back to the next planet in queue.

If at some point you really wanted to take it to the next level, descending to the surface of some of these bodies (such as the Moon and Mars) and taking off again would be unfathomably amazing, in my opinion.

Love your work!
    s6n5lt.jpg
    Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980
  • It is a cool demo.
    Like you are real in space.

Unfortunately I can not run it with razer hydra.
    Do you have any hints for that issue?
    The controller only zoom in/out but I can not fly...
    further info on the crash...

On the Mac, if I log in as a different user it works.

There must be some settings that are dependant on the logged in user? But I cant find them anywhere - I'm pretty convinced it must be the Oculus SDK storing some user specific info somewhere that causes ToS to crash.

Any thoughts ?
  • PsyQoPsyQo Posts: 31
    drash, what an amazing showcase for the Rift, space and your skills you've built! Nothing but praise for this masterpiece, I've enjoyed every second of it. Thank you!
  • Sorry, I should have wrote more but I was in a hurry! It did work on my friend's computer, but I got my own back in over the weekend and ran into issues when I began to set it up.

From a fresh format it wouldn't start up, even after re-installing the C redistribution packages and DirectX. Oddly, it would get all the way to the Press Space or A to start, but I couldn't see any of the side menus... nothing in a box other than that. And none of the keys would do anything.

I figured I was still missing something, so I just started re-downloading all of my games off of Steam and starting them so they'd install whatever they needed. After about three or four of them (Seriously! I checked between games) it started working. I'm assuming I was just missing something more, but I don't know what it was. :/

If anyone else can't start the game, just go run a few Steam games and let them do their thing!

Thanks for the quick reply though! I loved it! This is one of the first things I demo to people! Amazing!
  • I think the one major problem with Titans is that it gave me the travel bug pretty badly, except I want to go to Europa, Enceladus, or Ceres. Brilliantly done, way to inspire!
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    That was beautiful! One of my favorite experiences with the Rift yet!
  • DominusDominus Posts: 19
    I cannot seem to download Titans of Space. I get the following error message:

"(Error 509)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Is there another download location I can try? Thanks.
    Trinity
    Thanks PsyQo and VRoom! And, I'm glad you got it working Someguitarist -- I'm pretty curious what all the actual prerequisites are now. :O
    I think the one major problem with Titans is that it gave me the travel bug pretty badly, except I want to go to Europa, Enceladus, or Ceres. Brilliantly done, way to inspire!

Woo hoo, mission accomplished then! :D
    DannySwish wrote:
    During another playthrough of your fantastic tour, I noticed an option in the settings popup: 'Motion Intensity.' After I turned that to 'High,' everything was even more entertaining, and I noticed during the flyby past Earth that the clouds visibly had altitude above the rest of the planet. That was really cool.

You've got a good eye for detail! Thanks for your suggestions.
    Unfortunately I can not run it with razer hydra.
    Do you have any hints for that issue?
    The controller only zoom in/out but I can not fly...

Well, you can't *fly*, but you can use one of the Hydra controllers to give yourself positional body tracking so that you can lean in your seat, look down off the side of the cockpit, etc. I'll copy and paste a paragraph on setting it up from the website and readme, and I think most of this is available in the options screen (when you hit ESC during a tour) if you forget any of it:
    If you have a Razer Hydra and wish to make use of it for positional body tracking (for leaning in your seat), you'll have to figure out a way to affix a Hydra controller to your upper torso. After you have done so, lean back in your chair and hit the Start button on that Hydra controller (while Titans of Space is running) to start tracking your body position. (Note that you can still use any Hydra controller to zoom/advance to the next tour stop.) If you find your body position drifting, you can reset it again using Start button (when leaning back in your chair). Ensure your base station is oriented such that the cables are coming the back of the base station (more specifically, the cables should come out in the direction of your "forward" direction)!

andyr123 wrote:
    further info on the crash...

On the Mac, if I log in as a different user it works.

There must be some settings that are dependant on the logged in user? But I cant find them anywhere - I'm pretty convinced it must be the Oculus SDK storing some user specific info somewhere that causes ToS to crash.

That's really alarming! Maybe the profile settings for one of your users got corrupted or something. On Windows, the profiles are stored at C:\Users\[insert user name here]\AppData\Local\Oculus, but I'm not sure where it's stored on a Mac. If you can find it, maybe try deleting it and re-running the config tool to create a new profile? This might actually be something to report to Oculus!
    Dominus wrote:
    Is there another download location I can try? Thanks.

Yes there are! Check the first post of this thread, or at http://www.crunchywood.com.