Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version) - Page 8 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• DominusDominus Posts: 19
    Thanks drash, looking forward to the demo!
  • wickfutwickfut Posts: 202
    Art3mis
    Amazing demo.. I've probably ran through it about 20 times since I got my rift (yesterday).

Is there any way to store your settings ? I tend to do it without the prompts and with a FOV of around 70-80 as it makes the planets look even bigger.

I'd love you to add more asteroids, comets, nebulae, galaxies n such, maybe team up with the bloke who done the Delta Draconis demo and re-write Elite for the rift (one can dream) ha ha

Can't wait to see what you do next with the Rift!
  • I am also getting the mac osx crash now-

same as described. was working then stopped. Mine also works if logged in as another user which is just strange!

must be a profile / preference issue surely?
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    wickfut wrote:
    Is there any way to store your settings ? I tend to do it without the prompts and with a FOV of around 70-80 as it makes the planets look even bigger.

Alas, I didn't think anyone would play this more than one time (let alone 20!), so I didn't think to store settings between runs! I'm sorry!
    maddagent wrote:
    I am also getting the mac osx crash now-

same as described. was working then stopped. Mine also works if logged in as another user which is just strange!

must be a profile / preference issue surely?

Do other demos built with SDK 0.2.3 fail also? (Like "LOGISTICS", for example -- I know that's on 0.2.3 because it reads your IPD from your Oculus profile)
  • FredrumFredrum Posts: 211
    Nexus 6
    Oh could you pleaase recompile this demo with the new yaw drift fix?

I really wanted to show it to my wife but was waiting for that to get fixed since i was using the keyboard and the drift made it all a bit difficult.

Awesome demo and i am looking forward to going back in!
  • Yes, logistics wont run for me either.

However, titans of space DID run - the most recent version too. Lots of times! (got my rift about 2 weeks ago" Then it crashed on startup and ever since its refuses to run again. Strangest this is that when I log in as any other user it runs just fine! it really is quite the strange one!

D
  • XeviaNXeviaN Posts: 28
    Awesome work, keep up the good work!
  • FSundFSund Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Just another Linux user who would love to show off your wonderful demo! Could you give me a link to the Linux build?
  • For all the mac users who are experiencing a crash upon launching the app (when it was previously working fine), check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2313
    Neo
    Fredrum wrote:
    Oh could you pleaase recompile this demo with the new yaw drift fix?

I really wanted to show it to my wife but was waiting for that to get fixed since i was using the keyboard and the drift made it all a bit difficult.
    FSund wrote:
    Just another Linux user who would love to show off your wonderful demo! Could you give me a link to the Linux build?

Both of you have PMs!
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    Are you looking to implement a narrator option where people can provide recording snippets to go along with each stop in the tour? There's bound to be people with golden vocals that would make the virtual tour that much better.
  • Dexter111Dexter111 Posts: 184
    So, when is the Patch with the narration by David Attenborough or Morgan Freeman coming out? :P
    Neo
    Haha... I don't know when I'll release a narration update - I have a lot of VR Jam games to play first. :P I haven't forgotten all the requests for it though!
  • oxox Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just set up my Rift a couple of days ago and tried a bunch of things but this demo was the first one to utterly blow me away. Simply awesome, in the truest sense of the word. I must have looked a complete fool from outside with the Rift on my head and my mouth hanging open with only the occasional swearword coming out :).

Fantastic job Drash. Thanks :).
  • KrisperKrisper Posts: 168
    Why did I take so long to try this out, this is an amazing example of education using VR. I was totally blown away.
  • NaitguolfNaitguolf Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I also want to give huge thanks for the creator of the Tour. Indeed, a voice narrating will make the experience more awesome than already is. And is!

Great work. Was a wonderfull voyage :)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    Posted this before, on the wrong demo :roll: totally girl moment !!!

Anyhoow

Really enjoyed this demo it was a hidden gem in the demo pack, i have been busy telling my co workers and friends of it, just amazing the feeling it gave and how vr is going to change education.

My only wish list would be more travel distance between planets etc and the sun becoming smaller to add to scale but other then that you should be super proud of what you have made :P

I hope you finish this one day to a level it deserves, it would make a perfect packaged experience with the consumer model
    Well done again
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Neo
    Thank you for the kind words ox, Krisper, naitguolf, and vannagirl. Very encouraging! :)

Couple of minor things to mention while I am here:
    1. The website for Titans of Space is now www.titansofspace.net to have something a little easier to remember.
    2. Claus Nielsen has graciously offered his Danish translation, which is now available on the website. Here's a screenshot with the Danish translation in place:

screenshot-danish.jpg
    3. And finally, I've posted a very minor update to Titans of Space (v1.35). As always the download links in the first post and on the website have been updated to reflect this.

Changelog for v1.34 -> v1.35:
      1. Feature: Updated to use Oculus SDK 0.2.4. You may now calibrate your magnetometer using the new Oculus Config Util (available from Oculus as of 8/16/2013), and Titans of Space will use that instead of asking you to calibrate every time it starts.
      2. Feature: Take screenshots by hitting the F12 key (useful for fullscreen modes where native printscreen tends to fail). Screenshots will appear in the app's Data folder as "screenshot###.png" where ### is a random string of letters and numbers. Untested on MacOSX.
      3. Other minor adjustments and bugfixes.

Let me know if anyone runs into any issues!
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    I've watched a bunch of videos on this demo. It's at the top of my "to do list" once I get my Rift. It really looks fantastic.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • LostReconManLostReconMan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I was bowled over by this. It really blew me away. Thanks so much for designing this.
    Neo
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Richelaa, it's nice to know you were bowled over. :D Snappahead, I hope it lives up to your expectations when you finally try it in the Rift. :)

I wanted to post that Antonius K. has graciously offered up his Brazilian Portuguese translation, which is now posted up at the website. Thanks Antonius!
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,108 Valuable Player
    Whenever I demo the Rift to my friends, this is always the favourite.
    One friend said it was worth the price of the rift just to play this demo.

This is an incredible experience, well done.
  • Well after reading all the comments about this it has just made me go and order a dev kit :)

I was going to wait but thought sod it :)
  • virrorvirror Posts: 402
    Brain Burst
    God damn what a good show this was : D
    Learned a ton if stuff as well and that's always a good bonus : )
    This really begs for voice overs though, i think you would not find it hard to get ppl to contribute as long as the backend is there.
  • Bloody brilliant. First thing I grabbed once I got my DK hooked up and calibrated. Well done!
  • thunithuni Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Abolut best Demo ever for Oculus Rift , my Number 1

i want more like this
  • DaveJVRDaveJVR Posts: 105
    Had my rift for 6 weeks now and tried almost everything for mac osx but this is still the number 1 thing i show people. it never fails to impress. a narrator would make it a 11/10 :D

Cheers Drash! 8-)
  • OculusOpticianOculusOptician Posts: 253
    Brain Burst
    Have been following this demo from the beginning, thought I'd leave a word and say it's awesome. It's one of the first demo's I usually show people as well because there are no controls and motion sickness is kept to a minimum. Good job Drash, hope your have something else your working on we can all show off again in the near future.
  • Thanks to including the 64bit linux build, I was able to test. It is quite laggy if I look at the planets but OK if I look at the sun.

Video: http://youtu.be/bDemVZfdjCA

My system:
    Distro      Linux qbox 3.11.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 14 19:30:21 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    CPU         model name : AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
    Video         01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Video memory   [256M]
    RAM         Mem: 3.6G 3.5G 150M 0B 32M 522M
    GCC         gcc (GCC) 4.8.1 20130725 (prerelease)
    VGA driver  OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    Video driver packages:
    local/xf86-video-ati 1:7.2.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    local/xf86-video-vesa 2.3.2-3 (xorg-drivers xorg)

Neo
    luciferous, virror, bcrdncola, thuni, DaveJVR, OculusOptician, and dbtaylor, thanks a lot for the great comments! (dbtaylor, i'm sure you'll love the Rift even if Titans fails to impress)
    qubodup wrote:
    Thanks to including the 64bit linux build, I was able to test. It is quite laggy if I look at the planets but OK if I look at the sun.

Wow! That is horrendously and embarrassingly bad. Going to have to knock the Linux version down to an unlisted pre-alpha again. Thanks for your post and letting me know that I'm not out of the woods with this yet!