Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version) - Page 9 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• drash wrote:
    Wow! That is horrendously and embarrassingly bad. Going to have to knock the Linux version down to an unlisted pre-alpha again. Thanks for your post and letting me know that I'm not out of the woods with this yet!
    I don't have any other OS running on this machine, which I consider pretty weak (especially 3d acceleration) so I can't say how well it performs on Windows or OS X with the same hardware. Also it might be performing better with the proprietary ATI driver (I run the open one). :)
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    Thanks to Darius Heydarpour (rifters.nl), a Dutch translation has been posted on the website! :)
  • MikeArms24MikeArms24 Posts: 519
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just tried this again and it never loses its appeal, like your favorite ride at an amusement park.
    Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
    http://www.riftmax.com - Latest DK2-ready version 0.415(11/27/2014)
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    It's all been said before, but this was my second demo and it totally lives up to the hype. It's a terrific experience and even after watching a bunch of youtube playthroughs, I was still not prepared for the scale. The sense of movement was almost too much for me at times since I'm just starting on wobbly baby vr legs, but wow. Great job, Drash.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • jsiah1jsiah1 Posts: 15
    Just want to say that I got my rift yesterday and this takes the cake thus far. Amazing. Kudos.
  • WhelanWebWhelanWeb Posts: 584
    Hi Drash.

Any plans on updating this demo in the future for more exploration out of the solar system ? Tour of the milky way etc...
    This is by far my favorite experience.
    Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com
    Neo
    MikeArms24, SoerenDalsgaard, Snappahead, jsiah1, WhelanWeb, I remain encouraged by your comments! :)

SoerenDalsgaard and WhelanWeb, I am working on more content in my spare time. It will be quite a while before I can get some of the more larger and more complicated cosmic structures looking good enough to release, but I want to see these things as much as you do. Up next is a small facelift and improvements/polish so that I can get it up on Share. Oculus is picky about the quality of the submissions that can get onto Share and that is a good thing -- forcing me to up my game a bit! :)
    Neo
    A new update to Titans of Space (v1.37) has been posted. There are a few new small features, and I wanted to try to address some of the feedback I've gotten re: graphical issues and polish. The upside is, things look better. The downside is, the download size has ballooned a bit and performance suffers a bit on older machines. I'm leaving the previous version (v1.35) up for that reason. If anyone runs into issues, please let me know!

Changelog for v1.35 -> v1.37:
    1. Feature: Almost everything has received a facelift of some kind (some of it is pretty subtle, though). However, the animated surface of stars has been removed as it was unrealistic and very GPU-heavy.
    2. Feature: Most adjustments to settings are now saved between sessions. Hitting the F1 key will restore all settings to their defaults.
    3. Feature: Some planets and moons can be rotated at will using the left/right arrow keys (or left/right d-pad buttons on a gamepad controller). A yellow icon on the right will show up when this option is available.
    4. Feature: Travel between tour stops can be slowed down at will and even stopped completely. Use the up/down arrow keys (or up/down d-pad buttons on a gamepad controller). A blue line below the information panel indicates the current setting.
    5. Performance: Performs better on newer computers, performs worse on older computers. Framerate is more than doubled for a GTX 680, but framerate drops to 30 FPS on an old ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670.
    6. Other minor adjustments and bugfixes.

And, here's a recap of the controls:

Basic controls:
    • Show Options:
      ---- {Esc} / {Gamepad X}
    • Proceed to next tour stop:
      ---- {Enter} / {Return} / {Click Right Mouse Button} / {Gamepad A}
    • Zoom:
      ---- Hold {Spacebar} / {Left Ctrl} / {Left Mouse Button} / {Gamepad Left Trigger} / {Gamepad Right Trigger}
    • Quit:
      ---- {Q}

Advanced controls (new as of v1.37):
    • Rotate Planet/Moon:
      ---- {Left arrow} & {Right arrow} / {Gamepad D-Pad Left} & {Gamepad D-Pad Right}
    • Slow down or speed up:
      ---- {Down arrow} & {Up arrow} / {Gamepad D-Pad Down} & {Gamepad D-Pad Up}
    • Screenshot:
      ---- {F12}

Additional options (and all listed under in-game Options):
    • Toggle Vsync: {V}
    • Toggle Framerate Indicator in right eye: {F}
    • Adjust FOV: {[} & {]}
    • Toggle Anti-aliasing: {A}
    • Toggle Motion Intensity Level: {M} ('Low' is standard, 'High' has a slightly more interesting flight path)
    • Toggle Labels: {L}
    • Toggle Tour Guide Information Panel: {T}
    • Toggle Looping Demo Mode: {D}
    • Toggle Non-stop Mode: {N}
    • Toggle Soundtrack: {S}

Experimental options:
    • Toggle Dynamic IPD: {I} (This causes some planets/moons to feel larger when you get very close to them)
  • TheHolyChickenTheHolyChicken Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Fantastic work! I'll absolutely be updating this, as I'm on a 670GTX so should see a good performance boost, and also definitely noticed some framerate slowdown when close to the big stars.

Despite a whole suite of new demos for the Rift, this continues to be a firm favourite. I've probably demoed this to 15+ people now - every person has enjoyed it, and not one has expressed a desire to quit before the end. Considering that this is a 15-20+ minute demo, I think that's pretty impressive work.
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    Great update. Like others, this is my go to demo for showing the rift to other people. Great framerate, little to no lag, awesome graphics, and smooth transitions. I only wish I worked at a school so I can take kids on this tour cause they will get the most out of it.

Also, just watched Hubble IMAX in 3D using VR Player and 180 degree screen. Amazing, especially the end portion going through the universe but still did not compare to Titans of Space. Looking forward to other types of space tours.
  • DariusDarius Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    I have just tested v1.37 and it runs smoothly on my machines. Great job again, Drash. I have played the tour several times now in the past weeks and it remains one of my alltime favorites for the Rift.
  • jburrowesjburrowes Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Probable reaction of most first time viewers:

:o :shock: :) :D

What can I say that others haven't already. Great great work!

How can it be that this isn't good enough to be on share.oculus.com?!?! Greebles is on there and, not to take anything away from it, it is a pretty simple tech demo and isn't at all awe inspiring like ToS.

If, when showing the Rift to friends, I only had time to show one app it would be this; if two I'd add Lunar Flight - even though I suck at piloting the LEM; if three maybe Chicken Walk for a chuckle - or should I say cluckle.

I hope that you continue working on this. I've no idea what it would take but it would be awesome to be able to fly out of our galaxy and show our sun highlighted on one of the arms. Free-flight mode would be cool too.

Can I ask why no support for MP3s? All my music is in that format. Probably there's a free way to convert to OGG but it would be nice not to have to do so.

Cheers!
    Neo
    jburrowes wrote:
    How can it be that this isn't good enough to be on share.oculus.com?!?!

It is now! :D Although, the Mac version that's up there now is 1.35. Hoping to remedy that soon. Thanks for saying that though. :)
    jburrowes wrote:
    Can I ask why no support for MP3s? All my music is in that format. Probably there's a free way to convert to OGG but it would be nice not to have to do so.

There actually is a reason. I'm using "WWW.audioClip()" to read in external sound files, and according to this page, the sound file "must be an audio clip in Ogg(Web/Standalones), MP3(phones,Flash), WAV, XM, IT, MOD or S3M format". In this case, Standalones refers to PC/Mac/Linux. Weird! One free way I know of to convert Ogg to MP3 is to open up an Ogg in Audacity and Export it back out to MP3.

Cluck cluck!
  • jweaverjweaver Posts: 174
    Hiro Protagonist
    jburrowes wrote:
    How can it be that this isn't good enough to be on share.oculus.com?!?!

I have been thinking the same.. ToS is by far the most impressive and polished demo.. I can't believe that Oculus wouldn't allow it in its pre 1.37 form...
  • ceglicegli Posts: 436
    Thanks for all the work on this! This was my first rift demo, and also my go to for showing it off to other people. The v1.37 update is great and improved performance on my 7970 significantly. Also, thanks for keeping the latency so low, and letting people easily disable VSync, etc. Makes it a great testing tool. I wish more demo's allowed that.
  • jojonjojon Posts: 157
    drash wrote:
    ... However, the animated surface of stars has been removed as it was unrealistic and very GPU-heavy...

Aaww, I rather liked the boiling. :7

Thanks for your unwavering dedication! :)
  • onepoint21onepoint21 Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    I just wanted to say that out of all the demos I've been looking at today. Titans is by far the most beautiful and jaw dropping experience I've had. Just awesome!
  • Fantastic experience, man! Titans of Space is the first thing I show to anyone interested in the Oculus. Love the aesthetics of it all, and the music choreography it excellent. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Quick question on the dev side of things:
    - How did you manage to automate the blue "Move on" button to trigger upon looking at it?

I assume RaycastHit.Collider or another similar Raycast technique, but I can't seem to figure out how it is done. The way you implement it really adds to the interactivity of the world, and even though it's such a small thing, it really stood out to me the first time I noticed what was happening.
    Neo
    I am grateful for your words, jweaver, cegli, jojon, onepoint21, and Nautilus!
    Nautilus wrote:
    Quick question on the dev side of things:
    - How did you manage to automate the blue "Move on" button to trigger upon looking at it?

I assume RaycastHit.Collider or another similar Raycast technique, but I can't seem to figure out how it is done. The way you implement it really adds to the interactivity of the world, and even though it's such a small thing, it really stood out to me the first time I noticed what was happening.

You are on the right track! I have a box collider set up that is much bigger than the actual button to make it easier to look at since the button is relatively small. Then, when the player first looks at it, a timer counts down until activation, during which time the button's material's opacity is oscillated so that the player has feedback of what's going on. That's about it. :)
  • drash wrote:
    You are on the right track! I have a box collider set up that is much bigger than the actual button to make it easier to look at since the button is relatively small. Then, when the player first looks at it, a timer counts down until activation, during which time the button's material's opacity is oscillated so that the player has feedback of what's going on. That's about it. :)

Awesome! Thanks for the info :)
  • alutogalutog Posts: 10
    qubodup wrote:
    Thanks to including the 64bit linux build, I was able to test. It is quite laggy if I look at the planets but OK if I look at the sun.
    You are using the open-source video driver, right? Maybe you can get better performance with the catalyst driver, or did you try that already? I recently tried the 64bit linux build(v1.35) on two archlinux systems with proprietary drivers and did not have major framerate problems. The older system of the two has a nvidia 8800gt and the newer one has a radeon hd6870.

And drash, thanks for this demo! I'm using the 64bit linux build for demoing the rift to friends and family, so far everyone liked it. I would like to try/test the new version if you provide a link.
  • Tried the demo today - also one of the first Oculus experiences for me. Combination of the music, planets and stars is pretty incredible. Well done!

Nice touch is that there is a body present, and some sort of a spacecraft. Seeing the legs also helps the immersion.

Stars in the end are just incredible part of the demo.
  • EdegoEdego Posts: 39
    Very good demo, very good job 8-)
    Camera 3d 360° : http://www.panocam3d.com
    Indiegogo campaign : http://igg.me/at/panocam3d/x/6524285
  • bryndal36bryndal36 Posts: 113
    Brain Burst
    I think that this will be the first thing I try once I get my Rift which should hopefully be this week. It looks awesome beyond relief and shows what can really be done with VR in mind. :)
    Ordered: 6th September 2013
    Order # 71XXX
    Holy Status Email: Arrived
    Australia mate.
    Personal Status. Enthralled
  • FictionXFictionX Posts: 289
    Hi Drash

Thanks again for a great demo.

Would it be possible to have v1.37 made available for Linux 64 bit? I just tried the .35 version, and it runs flawlessly with the Nvidia proprietary drivers - but the demo gets better and better with each version, and I'm missing the extra eye-candy. :-)
    Neo
    @ FictionX & alutog, thanks for proving to me that the Linux version does work for some people. :) You've both got PM's with links to 1.37 for Linux.

@ alexsavin & Edego, super glad you liked it!
  • trbottrbot Posts: 3
    awesome visuals and audio. very gentle on the stomach, too! (i've just received my rift today and minecraft brings me to the brink of vomiting in five minutes.) i loved the body. i legitimately felt like the left arm was mine at times.
  • BurakBurak Posts: 10
    MIND.BLOWN.

Definitely one of the first things i'll be demoing to people. I got REALLY motion sick after trying it for the first time (Tuscany demo), and i'm someone who's maybe gotten motion sick ONCE in their entire lifetime, so it was really bad when i got motion sick. I ate something, rested for a couple hours and i tried Titans of Space and it's a lot easier on the eyes/sense of balance.

On rails games are a lot easier on you than moving around with the mouse/keyboard. Also, they added motion blur into the Tuscany demo, ARE THEY SERIOUS?! Your brain adds motion blur when using the Rift, i don't need software to add another layer :lol:

EDIT: I want to add, as others have mentioned, having a 3D representation of your body helps immersion loads. What i ended up doing was assuming that exact position and my brain instantly was duped into believing that was my body. Then when i'd look over and see my shoulder/collar, it felt incredible.

10/10 for this demo/tour.
  • TheHolyChickenTheHolyChicken Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Burak wrote:
    Also, they added motion blur into the Tuscany demo, ARE THEY SERIOUS?! Your brain adds motion blur when using the Rift, i don't need software to add another layer :lol:
    There is no software motion blur in the Tuscany demo - any blur you see is entirely due to the hardware.
  • My wife and 11 year old daughter enjoyed this a lot. Thanks!