cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal vs Unity for Gear VR development

treytech
Explorer
I'm at a crossroads here, and was wondering if anyone had any input on choosing Unreal vs Unity for Gear VR development. Does one have the edge over the other when it comes to optimizing for mobile? I'm really not an expert on android development, but hopefully some of you are.

Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5

Jotokutora
Adventurer
Most Rift developers tend to use Unity. I am dealing with Unreal 4 on the other hand. However, Unity 5 which is in Beta, and it will be pretty cool since it will support Global Illumination out of the box, while Unreal 4 doesn't. Epic wants to increase compatibility with Mobile devices with UE4.

If you are a Unity developer, may as well stick to it. Most if not all current Gear VR demos have been done on Unity.

pittsburghjoe
Protege
How is a developer supposed to test his app if gear vr doesn't connect to a desktop? You move rendered android files to your phone every time you change something? If the environment is closed ..do you have to have a developer key?
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

treytech
Explorer
"pittsburghjoe" wrote:
How is a developer supposed to test his app if gear vr doesn't connect to a desktop? You move rendered android files to your phone every time you change something? If the environment is closed ..do you have to have a developer key?

They said you would be able to test Gear VR apps on the DK2.

owenwp
Expert Protege
Unreal does include realtime global illumination, it can be enabled with a console variable. But I don't know about on mobile, and it doesn't support GearVR yet. Once it does, it should run faster than Unity, especially with larger scenes.

Jotokutora
Adventurer
As far I know, It was announced Epics commitment to support Gear VR with Inreal 4. The question is when this will take place.
Unreal 4.5 should be released soon, and I read that Gear's SDK will be released this month. Perhaps they will coincide? :?: