New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Mirrored Reality - Prototyping Unity Soldier Networking More

harleycwharleycw Posts: 34
edited April 2013 in Showcase
Mirrored Reality is just a codename for me to prototype new hardware gameplay mechanics.

--- Leap Motion ---
Previously I have tested Leap Motion controls scheme for control of in game character hand placement (inverse kinematics), playing drums with your fingers and ability to touch (virtually) a 3D menu system.
Vid here http://youtu.be/3d3nX9Jfvzk

--- Oculus Rift Game Demo ---
Since the Oculus SDK is available now, I dummied up some gameplay mechanics I want to test.
I have not received my dev unit but that shouldn't stop me if those of you who have can help me.

Today, I threw together a Unity example (the BootCamp Photon demo) combined with Oculus Rift support.
Essentially all it does is:
1. Toss the OVRCameraController on top of the Soldier Camera(child of)
2. Hides but leaves this camera active (depth of -1 means other camera will display over it) - this allows movement of soldier to behave normally.

It's here on dropbox at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50834990/MirroredRealityBootCampPhotonOculusRiftTest.zip

--- Next: PC Camera Control for 3D tracking ---
Previously I tinkered with control of the character view using the PC camera. This should give you function the Oculus Rift can't provide yet and I will add this later. The PC camera can tell the relative position of you head in 3D space. This will allow you to track your head in 3D space in addition to rotation.

For an old example of this and if you have a working connected camera, see my old PC demo at
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50834990/ZombiePC.zip

--- Side note ---

1. If somebody wants to partner or team on some great idea you have or help me continue my prototyping, I'm all ears.

Comments

• jayohjayoh Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    hey, i just gave it a spin.

couple notes: the skybox is broken. i've heard skyboxes need work in vr or 3d, i don't know the specific reasons.

i'm also curious why you choice third-person? is there a way to go first?
    i'm building STV.RE
  • harleycwharleycw Posts: 34
    Jayoh,

Wow, it works? If it's that easy, adding support in games will be pretty quick.
    I chose 3rd person because it was the simplest, I only changed about 2 lines of code.

For unity folks: Since I had another camera in there which was connected to the control of the character
    I changed it from a LateUpdate to all be in Update and then for the OVR code, moved that Update to a LateUpdate.
    Before I did that, you effectively get jerky movement as the camera is always behind where it needs to be.

With 1st person if you are using an actual character is gets more tricky since you have to take control of the head animation and/or direction or just ensure you stay out of it's way so you don't see it. There are a host of potential issues to work out but I can stub it out for an example of the issues.

Without a description of how the skybox was broken, I guess I'll fix it once the Rift arrives.
    Thanks again for the quick test.

Harley
  • harleycw wrote:
    With 1st person if you are using an actual character is gets more tricky since you have to take control of the head animation and/or direction or just ensure you stay out of it's way so you don't see it. There are a host of potential issues to work out but I can stub it out for an example of the issues.
    You could take a look at my Full Body Awareness test: Full Body Awareness Test(s) [testers needed] - topic in this forum
    there are definitely a whole bunch of issues to take care of but it is in the making.
    I still don't have my Oculus Rift so I can't test your stuff other than just on regular display.
    However, it does seem like you are working out some of those issues.

I did note there was some jerkiness which I think can be taken care of by my tips above (using Update and LateUpdate in Unity to get the order of things done appropriately).

Version A with the mouse not really doing anything should either disable the mouse or fix it's jerkiness when you try to move it.

Version B is coming along nicely. You don't see any clipping and however you overrode the base soldier head animation works nicely. Seems to do this other animations and functions like jumping now don't work but that must be related.
    Nice progress ! I'll watch for further updates.
    I have my Oculus Rift now. Indeed the broken skybox made things look awful.
    I fixed that and provided more of a first person view (hold right mouse button to get 3rd person).
    Note that while testing and in 3rd person I get sick to my stomach (it's just not natural) especially if you go crazy with the mouse movement.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/508 ... Photon.zip

Also note this is multiplayer so you can chat with people and shoot them up just like a real game.
    Things like seeing the head bobbing around is still a bit of annoyance so I'll clean that up later.

Enjoy!!