New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwiceNopItTwice Posts: 40
edited November 2015 in General
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?

Comments

• saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    From reports so far, the SDK isn't Windows 10 friendly, and there have been.. issues. I would, however, look into getting Windows 8, and then upgrading to 10 when it comes out. Microsoft has been pretty busy as of late to do some hardcore optimizations in their OS and in DX (Windows 10 + DirectX 12).. it should be, in theory, an EXTREMELY good architecture to do VR with.
  • scottycamscottycam Posts: 152
    Hiro Protagonist
    From what I have read so far the SDK for the DK2 runs best on windows 8 as I guess that is the main version of windows they are targeting at the moment in development. I have windows 7 on my gaming PC and will be upgrading to windows 8 before my DK2 arrives.

Windows 10 is still new and even once it is officially released I'd say the SDK for DK2 will still work best on windows 8 for some time. Maybe by the time they release CV1 the SDK will work just as well on both Windows 8 and 10.

Additionally I never buy a new version of windows within the first few months of release, it is basically just a large beta test and they use consumers to find and fix the remaining bugs.
  • Well, I forgot to mention that in my question, but there are a lot of things I really like about Windows 10 and there are quite a few things I don't like about Windows 8. I would also just like to try out Windows 10.
    So my question should be more like this:
    Are there any Oculus compatible games that don't work on Windows 10 and if so which ones?

@saviornt
    When I install a new OS I really want fresh install with full HDD formatting. Windows "upgrading" is just causing too many bugs and a lot of installed programs will have to get installed again anyways..

Also, can you elaborate on "there have been.. issues"?
    NerveGear
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15255

Also, you can do a full re-install with "update" discs. It will just make sure that your previous windows is activated correctly before doing the full re-format/re-install.

Should be under "Advanced Options"
  • InaudibleWhisperInaudibleWhisper Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I've had no problems with Windows 10. Every game, program and driver that worked in 8 works in 10. That's not a recommendation though, as with any early preview software it's a risk and things can go wrong. That said, it's easy to drop back to Windows 8 if you need to.
  • CaliberMengskCaliberMengsk Posts: 312
    Hiro Protagonist
    I did a fresh install of windows 10 on a new hard drive, and everything I tried worked as expected. There were some things that just didn't work, and anything that worked worked like you would want. Positional tracking worked fine as well. You do have to install the newest video drivers, but windows 8 and 10 are close enough that the drivers work fine. (I wouldn't doubt that card developers have an unlisted windows 10 driver in the newest version)

I've had no problems with windows 10 in general, though I've not done a massive amount in it. If anything, it's at technical preview, meaning free, for the moment. So download it free, install it, and try it out for a bit. I'd suggest using a different hard drive then your main drive, if you can. A fresh install just runs more smooth then an upgrade, and upgrading your main os to a technical preview is not very wise.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If you want to test different OSes on different HDDs make sure to UNPLUG all drives except for the new OS drive before doing the install. Otherwise Windows will install boot records on secondary drives which may make the older OS unbootable without lots of work.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • CaliberMengskCaliberMengsk Posts: 312
    Hiro Protagonist
    If you want to test different OSes on different HDDs make sure to UNPLUG all drives except for the new OS drive before doing the install. Otherwise Windows will install boot records on secondary drives which may make the older OS unbootable without lots of work.

YES... THIS... Forgot to mention that. Don't worry about dual booting. After it's installed you can hook up both drives and use your bios' boot order selector option thingy (generally f12), and select the different drives you want to use. You can set up dual booting stuff later if you want it like that, but using the bios option seems to be the easiest and best way to do it IMO.
  • I upgraded to the Windows 10 Technical Preview and nothing Rift related has caused me any issues. All the demos/games I ran before still run.

I had to install a unified version of my Xonar sound card driver as the official one didn't recognise my OS.
    Dirty Bomb closed beta simply won't load.

Apart from that and the odd niggle everything is completely fine!

I played Alien Isolation in the Rift last night, I even tried F1 2014 in Virtual Desktop.
  • violinviolin Posts: 19
    NopItTwice wrote:
    ...Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea...

Windows 10 is not released yet and it won't be released before the second quarter of 2015 (at the earliest). The "Technology Preview" will expire on April 2015 and if you decide to use it you are stuck because after that you'll have to wait for the final release. Not to mention it's a "preview" and who knows if it'll have any bugs etc...

Windows 7 is a good OS as well as Windows 8. Why do you need DirectX 12 at this time? If any game is released supporting it - it won't be before the Christmas of 2015 ( a good guess). So more likely a few games will support it by 2016.
    Considering Windows 7 is about 99$ and Windows 8 is also about 99$ (140$ for Pro) - I'd go with buying Windows 8 unless you already have a license for a different version.

I would stick with Windows 8.1; Then upgrade when Windows 10 is released. I heard speculations that it will be free for Win8 owners. If not I'm pretty sure it will be very cheap and discounted as an upgrade during the first few months after the release.
  • I only have one hard drive so that's not gonna be an issue, I'm not looking for dual boot.

@violin I intentionally wrote "the newest Windows 10 version then" and not just Windows 10 for a reason...
    And yeah, it might expire next year, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft will have released the beta (or whatever comes next) before that. At least that's how they did it in the past.
    A reinstall in like 6 months is completely okay for me.

"who knows if it'll have any bugs etc": For example CaliberMengsk and InaudibleWhisper.
  • Hey there,
    yesterday i've tried to get the DK2 to run on my Win10 build 9879... but this does not work (at least with my config), the build 9879 is in the fast deployment branch and has some other issues too, so i really not recommend to update to this build!

i've downgraded/re-installed now with Win10 b9841 (the first public released preview) and the Oculus Runtime (and its drivers) installs flawlessly!

btw: the issue was that after runtime install and the reboot no desktop was showing up, terminating explorer.exe and dwm.exe didn't change anything, also eventlog shows some errors about oculus can't find a sensor etc... also while installing the runtime no driver installation happend even i tried to reinstall the drivers manually, what indeed worked but still no luck after a reboot!

As soon as i've uninstalled my Nvidia graphics drivers and rebooted i had an desktop again, then i tried to reinstall nvidia graphic driver, reboot, no desktop, uninstall oculus runtime, reboot desktop... rotate as you want, something inside build 9879 (or with my setup at least)
  • Yeah, newest build of Windows 10 is a no go for DK2. Device not attached. :cry:
  • SliderOverrideSliderOverride Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    philriver wrote:
    Yeah, newest build of Windows 10 is a no go for DK2. Device not attached. :cry:
    Yes same for me, so i have downgrade my Rift PC back to Windows 8.1 and stay there. up to finale.
  • Yep same problem here. My Rift still works fine on my housemate's Win7 box.. but latest Win10 build no longer works :( Totally cbf downgrading back to Win 8.1 right now!

Will let my housemate borrow it until next build comes out, if it still doesn't work I will have to downgrade.
  • JKay6969JKay6969 Posts: 101
    Brain Burst
    philriver wrote:
    Yeah, newest build of Windows 10 is a no go for DK2. Device not attached. :cry:
    Yes same for me, so i have downgrade my Rift PC back to Windows 8.1 and stay there. up to finale.

Same for me, the earlier build worked great with the Rift and everything else but with build 9879 it's a no go with the Rift.

Really disappointed and have logged the problem with Windows Feedback, I advise everyone does the same to let them know what is happening to enable them to fix it quicker.
    CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
    RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz
    GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB
    DK2: Delivered
    LENSES: Scratched
    SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:
  • opampopamp Posts: 326
    Hiro Protagonist
    Beta Software running on a "beta" OS sounds like a world of hurt in my opinion.
    DK2. Phenom 2 x4 4.2GHz,Asrock Extreme 3 970,8GB DDR3 1600, R9 270x 1180/1400.
    Brain Burst
    opamp wrote:

True Dat! :lol:

I know it's stupid of me to use Windows 10 Preview as my Daily Driver but up till the last update it was a fantastic OS, really stable, compatible with everything (Peripherals and software) and was so much better than Windows 8 or 8.1 that I am dreading the thought of going back to Windows 8.1...Tomorrow :D
  • violin wrote:
    Windows 10 is not released yet and it won't be released before the second quarter of 2015 (at the earliest). The "Technology Preview" will expire on April 2015 and if you decide to use it you are stuck because after that you'll have to wait for the final release. Not to mention it's a "preview" and who knows if it'll have any bugs etc...

People will not be stuck with it at all. Windows 10 Tech Preview receives updates to new builds and will also be upgradable to the final release.

My experience with it was that the DK2 worked fine initially. I think the recently released build update completely broke the runtime drivers. I had to revert back to my Windows 8 image.

Apart from Rift issues I had no other issues and it was very stable and very compatible with all my other software.
  • god_alomgod_alom Posts: 546
    Nexus 6
    Didn't realise there is a Windows 10 in the talks. Is there a WIndows 9? I am really lagging behind in news didn't realise we were so up ahead.
  • they skipped 9 for a couple of reasons, the most official is that all "new" windows devices will get the same naming, WIndows 10...

a few other rumors says that the want to call it windows one (1) but there was allready a windows 1.0 back in the days .... :lol: however it is what it is... and win10 generally works quite fine!

and i guess there has to be people even with oculus who test the new OS Builds even if they are in alpha/beta builds... that exactly what happend with the newest beta build doesn't happen!

i don't know what the problem is with the newest build, and i don't know if oculus has to fix this issues but the really bad side is that MS automatically rolled out the recent non working build for the rift now! so my effort to get the "Old" build back last week was completly useless as i've got installed the newest build today :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops:
  • opampopamp Posts: 326
    Hiro Protagonist
    JKay6969 wrote:
    opamp wrote:

True Dat! :lol:

I know it's stupid of me to use Windows 10 Preview as my Daily Driver but up till the last update it was a fantastic OS, really stable, compatible with everything (Peripherals and software) and was so much better than Windows 8 or 8.1 that I am dreading the thought of going back to Windows 8.1...Tomorrow :D

Im still on 7 as I didnt bother with 8/8.1.

How are you guys finding 10 so far? Is it going to be worth the upgrade?
    DK2. Phenom 2 x4 4.2GHz,Asrock Extreme 3 970,8GB DDR3 1600, R9 270x 1180/1400.
  • TorxTorx Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    ive had absolutely no problems in 8.1 x64
    i'd go on a limb and say there shouldnt be any with win10.
    the big deal breaker is whether or not ati/nv drivers are built and stable for 10. thats really what it all comes down to right now for win10 if youre trying to test it out.

although i would wait till the next preview update, which is being held off until after the new year.

build 9888 looks promising for somewhat daily use, if you can get your hands on that one it'll be a nice tester os for oculus.
    NerveGear
    I wish Microsoft included DX12 in the Windows 10 tech preview build :\
  • I have the same problem, here's some output from the OVRservice_x64.exe :
    OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Closed '\\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
    Error: {ERR-023} [TrackingManager] Unable to create detected HMD sensor device
    [TrackingManager] Display added: UUID=MSCE4807JHC43 Driver=1
    [TrackingManager] Display removed: UUID=MSCE4807JHC43 Driver=1
    [TrackingManager] Display added: UUID=MSCE4807JHC43 Driver=1
    OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Failed to open HIDDevice: \\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
    OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Closed '\\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
    OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Failed to open HIDDevice: \\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

The display drivers seem to work fine (I can swap between extended/direct mode correctly) but the problem lies in the HID interface, that is the sensors.

Since the sensors cannot be communicated with due to not being able to open the device, the service cannot create the abstracted HMD sensor device, and thus the Oculus Config Utility does not correctly detect the connected device.

Will keep debugging for a while, but using a beta OS is... well weird while doing these kinds of things, my usual tool "google" is largely crippled in this case.
    Brain Burst
    I'd go out on a limb here and say that my experience with Windows 10 pre Oculus killing update was VERY positive, it largely restored my faith in Microsoft being able to produce a solid OS again, the last being Windows 7. I'm now on 8.1 and although it works, it's stable and compatible with everything I plug into it I don't like the Start Screen, not because they took away the start menu, but because the start screen is very badly arranged and utilized IMHO. Windows 10 fixes most issues there giving the option to use a hybrid Start Menu or a Start Screen.

Most of my games worked very well in Windows 10 with no show stoppers until the latest build.I do still find myself dreaming of a world where Linux works with all my games...I want off of the Microsoft train...Windows Store concerns me greatly, why do you need to get 8.1 update from the store rather than through Windows update? Oh because going forward Microsoft plan to sell you major updates or Service Packs as they are commonly known...Troubling.
  • planetarianplanetarian Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    JKay6969 wrote:
    Windows Store concerns me greatly, why do you need to get 8.1 update from the store rather than through Windows update? Oh because going forward Microsoft plan to sell you major updates or Service Packs as they are commonly known...Troubling.

Um, no. If anything, the opposite is true; Windows is only getting cheaper and MS is not stupid enough to charge for updates. Heck, Windows 8.1 and the major update that followed it are great examples of that -- 8.1 itself was an OS upgrade marketed as an update, and then there was "8.1 Update" which came after it, which is basically a service pack marketed as a update. All of which were free.

Basically, here's what's happening: MS wants to release future *versions* of Windows on the store so that people can simply buy it there and the OS will automatically perform the upgrade in as few steps as possible. Windows 8.1 itself was a mass test of this functionality, and the build update system built into the Windows 10 tech preview is a further expansion on that same system. Windows 8.1 and new builds of Win10 are not installed as updates; rather, they're installed as complete OS upgrades. This has no bearing on the delivery of regular updates (and service packs), which will continue to be free. MS charging for interim updates would be shooting themselves in the foot, plain and simple.
    Brain Burst
    JKay6969 wrote:
    Windows Store concerns me greatly, why do you need to get 8.1 update from the store rather than through Windows update? Oh because going forward Microsoft plan to sell you major updates or Service Packs as they are commonly known...Troubling.

MS charging for interim updates would be shooting themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

Yeah and M$ has no history of shooting themselves in the foot... :lol: lmao
  • planetarianplanetarian Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    JKay6969 wrote:
    JKay6969 wrote:

MS charging for interim updates would be shooting themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

Yeah and M$ has no history of shooting themselves in the foot... :lol: lmao

Firstly, this is not the late 90s, using "M$" just makes people groan and roll their eyes nowadays. =p

Secondly, MS usually has issues with making reasonable (in a business sense) gambles that don't play out in the end, but this is a different story. No sane person (that's right, they exist at Microsoft too!) would believe for one second that it would be in the best interests of Microsoft to charge for service packs.

Thirdly, the Microsoft of today is not the Microsoft of even a decade ago. Their recent history has shown a significantly higher degree of wisdom and well-meaning in their actions, perhaps tempered by a decade of antitrust cases against them for their younger behavior, but also thanks to the fact that they have more competition in a number of different spaces and can't afford any more big screw-ups.

Being a Microsoft hater used to be 'cool' a decade ago, but nowadays it's just so trite. ;p
    Brain Burst
    I'm not a Microsoft hater, I liked Windows XP and I like Windows 7. I am even putting up with Windows 8.1 right now and I bought them all over the years. I hated Vista, not because M$ made it but because it was so tragically flawed and unoptimised that it was a complete waste of money and an insult to anyone who bought it, either outright or pre-installed on a system.

I don't like the way they treat gamers by forcing them to upgrade the OS just to get the new bloated version of Direct X, which for such a killer feature of the OS they haven't really made much innovation with until recently when Mantle showed it up for what it is, inefficient and bloated...perhaps a way to make the consoles shine brighter by crippling PC games performance.

As for the M$ bit, really, that's what boiled your blood here? lol. I have been using it for decades and it was true back then just as it's true now. Just because M$ has realised they need to clean up their image doesn't mean they aren't still profiteers, they surely are.

I will no doubt still buy Windows 10 as I liked what I saw of it, it was stable, fast and looked good doing it. What's not to like...other than the store :-)