New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Horrible smell coming from Oculus.

LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,207 Valuable Player
edited October 2014 in General
I thought I would post a link to this thread here as I am not sure the 'reporting issues' section gets widely read.
The smell was causing me a lot of discomfort and these guys investigated where it was coming from

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14555

Comments

• genetransfergenetransfer Posts: 605
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had this with dk1. it never went away but i eventually unlclipped the mask part where the foam is attached (with headbands) and washed it in the washing machine. part of the sicklyness was gone instantly (thouroughly gone in next wash) but the plastic the rift is made of also has it's own sickly smell to it, so I made templates of paper towel to minimize this that fit over the nose area/ tshirt mod helps as well as an alternative. anyway it stopped making me sick after that.

I unfortunately developed a high sensitivity to any poly/plastics after I did some time working for my dad when i was younger at his factory. It must run in the family as my aunt has developed a reaction from handling the plastic money as she works in a bank, and australia hasn't used paper notes for a while and i gues the tolerance just built up like it did for me.

anyway I hoped dk2 wouldn't be like that this time, but if it is the case the the rubber/foam and straps are going straight in the washing machine before use as soon as i get it.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,207 Valuable Player
    I always thought it was the foam as well (I don't have my DK1 anymore so cannot confirm) but If you check out the thread these guys took it apart and realised the smell was coming from a rubber membrane. Maybe the foam soaks up the smell and retains it. Firstly I smelt the foam and although not great, if you smell the gap in the nose cavity of the oculus between the lenses panel and the outer casing, this is definitely where the smell is coming from. I have blocked it with cotton wool and instant reduction in smell.
  • genetransfergenetransfer Posts: 605
    Hiro Protagonist
    Luciferous wrote:
    I always thought it was the foam as well but If you check out the thread these guys took it apart and realised the smell was coming from a rubber membrane.
    oh yes I I agree there is another smell other than the foam, but the foam made me sick also. I use the A cups and the screen all the ways in, so I can seal it up pretty well with paper towel and the like. but soooooo wish we didn't have to. I really think it is important this should be addressed for the cv1 aswell.
    Now they have the guys from Carbon designing the CV1, I am sure they will fix the problem. As long as we make enough fuss :)
  • ejz6837ejz6837 Posts: 233
    Oh, you mean the Rift? I thought you lived near the Oculus offices...
  • David6479David6479 Posts: 93
    Brain Burst
    ejz6837 wrote:

^^ HaHaHa! Nice one.

@ luciferous

Yeah I was exactly the same when I first got my DK2, the sickly smell was making me ill while I had the thing on, it was also making the motion sickness worse. It's gone now or I've just got used to it but I cleaned the outside with fabreez a number of times and put Vicks VapoRub on the nose piece. It's a bit extreme but it help quite a bit.
    i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz Custom W/Loop --- EVGA GTX 780ti SLI x3 --- Asus Maximus VI Extreme-Z87 --- Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB --- EVGA SuperNova 1300 PSU --- Asus Swift G-Sync --- Windows 10 Pro Insider Build 11082
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    ejz6837 wrote:

Maybe a catered Mexican dinner with lots of beans? Or broccoli and cabbage casserole?
  • WirelineWireline Posts: 1,203
    NerveGear
    Ah liek da ogglus riff smell. It smell of AWESOM
    LoL yeah I realised after posting my title stinks ;)
  • SalbroxSalbrox Posts: 250
    Art3mis
    Weird, i noticed no such smell, but i have a terrible nose.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Look on the bright side. The smell adds to the immersion for the upcoming Plastics Factory sim. :D
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
    VizionVR wrote:
    Look on the bright side. The smell adds to the immersion for the upcoming Plastics Factory sim. :D

The only game I don't notice it in is PVC fetish world II :D
  • overtypeoffovertypeoff Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Even after a month of letting the Rift sit in a ventilated room, that pungent chemical smell is strong as ever. Can only use it for about five minutes then I have to deal with the headache and residual smell for the next half hour. It's a bummer!