New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to record and stream DK2 footage.

XenophreaKXenophreaK Posts: 26
NerveGear
edited September 2015 in General
I see a lot of people having a lot of problems getting Oculus footage to record properly or to stream it. I stream on my DK2 daily and I'm pretty much the only one on twitch that streams with Oculus regularily. (http://www.twitch.tv/xenobius)

So, here's a little tutorial on how to get DK2 footage properly recorded and/or streamed.

What you need to make this work: DK2, properly configured and installed drivers, Open Broadcast Software (https://obsproject.com) it's free and easy to use.

There are a lot of guides out there on how to configure and use OBS on youtube, one good example is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fylnDUHGgWs

To start, click the settings on the top of the screen and click video on the following menu. Make sure you select the resolution you'd like to record your game in and hit apply.

Next we need to add the game footage to our "scene". To do this, right click in the Sources field and add game capture, give it a name and select the application you want to record. In most cases that's simply the name of your game.

After you have your game source added to your screen, you can now press preview stream, to make sure everything looks the way you want it to. If you'd like to add a webcam window for your recording, you add it to the scene almost like you added the game itself, but instead of game capture, you select Video Capture device.

Now all you have to do is click record and you will be recording your game footage. Watch setup guides on youtube if you want to stream the footage instead of capturing it, so that everything is configured optimally for the streaming service you are using.

If you would like to record only one of the two images from the Rift, things get a little trickier. The most effective way I've found to achieve this involves all of the above steps and putting OBS into fullscreen preview mode. After that's done, I use a second program called Xsplit (very similar to OBS)(https://www.xsplit.com/?lang=en) to do a partial screen capture of the full screen preview of OBS.

I really hope this helps some of you guys out. Please feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about this process or other questions I can help with. All of my contact info can be found below my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/xenobius

If you found this helpful, please follow my stream. To preview what some of this captured footage can look like, click on past broadcasts in my twitch channel profile.

Xenobius

Comments

• XenophreaKXenophreaK Posts: 26
    NerveGear
    bumping for great justice
  • We find that OBS only captures in extended mode. I have found that ACTION from Mirillis captures a lot of Direct to Rift games which can come in handy. As some games will only run in Direct mode on my PC
    Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com
    NerveGear
    WhelanWeb wrote:
    We find that OBS only captures in extended mode. I have found that ACTION from Mirillis captures a lot of Direct to Rift games which can come in handy. As some games will only run in Direct mode on my PC

That is very true, though Xsplit does direct mode as well...of course to take advantage of Xsplit you need to pay a subscription.
  • SinisterSaladSinisterSalad Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I haven't really looked into it, yet, but it seems that a lot of stuff just gives me a black screen when I try to use it.
    DK2 Order date: Mar 27, 2014 12:46 PM PDT
    NerveGear
    I haven't really looked into it, yet, but it seems that a lot of stuff just gives me a black screen when I try to use it.

Give xsplit a try and let me know if you have any questions on how to set it up...it's really solid software imo.
    NerveGear
    bump for great justice
  • mjarret1mjarret1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Action Mirillis worked for me... though I could not get the upload to YouTube function to work... kept saying my password was incorrect.... the file that Mirillis created was able to be uploaded directly through YouTube. Looked good in 1080p
    \
    update:
    Video Card: AMD R9 270X
    Memory: 8 GB
    Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Video Editor: None
    Game Problem: Diplopia (on Oculus Rift)
    Video Type: MP4 (or any other video type)

I -was- able to record the game "Diplopia" using the Oculus Rift in "direct to Rift mode"
    The game "normally" will display on the Oculus Rift -or- on the Monitor....not both at the same time.

I -was- able to upload the video file that was created on to YouTube.

Then the "Diplopia" game came out with an updated version.
    Now the game cannot be recorded in the "direct to Rift mode".

The game still plays perfectly in the "direct to Rift mode"

However if you start the game in "direct to rift" mode no recording can be made by Action Mirillis.
    If you start the game in the “direct to rift” mode -and- in the "monitor” mode at the same time; the "direct to rift" mode will lock up.
    You can record from the monitor... but in the game "Diplopia" the monitor mode is useless for trying to actually play the game.

The developer of the game does not know what would cause Mirillis not to record properly ...at this time.

Other Oculus Rift games that I have are still able to be recorded in the "direct to Rift mode"

Please help if you know what could be causing this problem
  • GrungePunkGrungePunk Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Does OBS have a performance hit of any sort? I honestly can't afford to drop below 75 FPS in Elite Dangerous or I'll get sick during combat maneuvers. As it stands my system that played the game perfectly on High at 1920x1200 on my 24 inch monitor only runs at 75 FPS at 1600x900 on Low Settings on the Rift's much smaller display... I'm assuming that's because of the double images to create the 3D. Can't imagine what hardware it's going to take to do it in 4k for the CV1! That's quite a drop in performance using the rift. If my monitor's refresh rate went as high as 75 I'm sure I could have gotten that FPS without all the sacrifice required by the Rift. Overall playing it on the DK2 with the settings as they are takes me back to playing Dos games like Descent. The resolution and quality is just so bad but yet the 3D and scale is just sooo good that I can't stop playing it on the Rift even after I begin seeing the pixel grid even when the headset isn't on.

So back to the main subject, the performance hit. I'm a big fan of Nvidia's Shadowplay because I can use it without a performance hit in most games. Fraps and many others have a 5 or more FPS hit. Can OBS use the encoding chip on my Nvidia card instead of tying up the GPU/CPU? It seems like whenever I use Shadowplay, despite having two monitors as well as a Rift DK2 in Extended mode that it only records my main monitor. I wonder if it would work if I made the Rift my main monitor while playing? Never used Shadowplay for streaming but the max resolution allowed when streaming did make it seem pointless. I'm just looking to record gameplay and commentary for YouTube.
  • vrbites.comvrbites.com Posts: 37
    NerveGear
    With the new SDK 0.7 OBS doesn't work. Is there any way to get OBS to work in direct driver mode?
  • I'm a star citizen streamer (almost 1,300 followers) and I'm hoping to stream and play in the rift once support is ready.

With everything going to "direct to rift" I'm worried about this. There are a couple other factors that may be issues as well:

1- I use a second computer with an avermedia live gamer pro c985 (internal) to run the stream (currently obs but willing to use xsplit if needed).

2- The stream needs to be enjoyable to watch on a normal monitor so I need to broadcast a single image.

It seems to me streaming is a big enough thing currently for Oculus or someone to make allowances for this.

Thanks for any comments,

Trip
  • timothyBraketimothyBrake Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Has anyone tried with the new Oculus 1.3 runtime? I cannot seem to get it working by following the steps above.