New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Darknet

EMcNeillEMcNeill Posts: 158
Art3mis
edited May 2015 in Showcase
442169_b3cde761a2434daf98736c565fccc829.png_srz_p_600_93_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Darknet Website

Twitter | Facebook | Reddit

Darknet (formerly Ciess, winner of the Oculus VR Jam) is a puzzle/strategy game that casts you as a "Hollywood hacker". It takes inspiration from cyberpunk classics like TRON, Neuromancer, The Matrix, and Johnny Mnemonic.

I'm proud to say that I just finished the Gear VR launch version of Darknet! It should appear as a launch title when the Gear VR hardware is released. The store won't have any payment system at launch, but instead of releasing a limited version or a demo, I've decided to just give the whole game away for free to the early adopters who buy a Gear VR in these first few weeks.

I plan on posting some updates and videos here while I wait for the hardware launch. As always, I'm happy to answer questions about the game too. :)

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Great stuff.

I'm so excited about this.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,847
    Neo
    Same here, very excited for this. Ciess was one of the very first standout VR experiences to contain deep gameplay, so I'm grateful you kept going with it to make DarkNet. I appreciate the risk you are taking releasing the whole thing for free for a while -- best of luck!
  • I will be a day-one downloader! Looks great. I am a newb when it comes to VR but I am super excited about the Gear VR and can't wait to try this out.
  • EMcNeillEMcNeill Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    Just posted a 10-minute video tour of the Gear VR version of Darknet:

• HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Very nice, now the only task is to get the Gear VR before christmas, here in europe. Don't laugh, i know a bit optimistic -.-
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,847
    Neo
    This game is amazingly well done, and very fun. I keep going back for more! :)
    Art3mis
    Now that the Gear VR is up for sale, I can finally say that Darknet has launched! :D

Dev blog: http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Darknet-Launched/c24e2/BE16E4DB-C6CD-4A96-8E88-1B70465A63B0
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Congrats man!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • zerogeezerogee Posts: 157
    Congratz, E! Awesome game!
  • alexchualexchu Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Played this today for the first time. It feels really polished. Great animation on the menu open/close. Love the clean simple style.

Congrats. :D
  • diomarkdiomark Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I just finished the first hacking network, and gotta say - this game's awesome. Good job..

-m
  • DoomDalekDoomDalek Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Loving this game on the Gear, great work man! :)
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    Clever optimisation:
    http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Optimizing-Darknet/c24e2/2297727E-0A58-4671-AC00-13459708E62F
    Interesting will you be porting some of those GearVR optimizations to the PC version?
    Art3mis
    Thanks everybody!
    Interesting will you be porting some of those GearVR optimizations to the PC version?

Yeah, but only the ones that make the game look better. The glow optimizations will carry over to the PC version, but it will also use the more smooth and complex meshes.
    Art3mis
    Wrote a bit about the public reception of Darknet so far. I quoted Drash's post from this thread. :D

http://www.darknetgame.com/#!single-post/c24e2/515F587A-CAEE-49D5-884E-A1FF9969858B
    Art3mis
    If you've played Darknet, I'd love to get your feedback on it! I'm currently figuring out how to expand the game for its eventual PC launch. Read all about it: http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Call-For-Feedback/c24e2/E179CF1A-413D-4381-8DC5-1B3F2A648B78
  • DocjonelDocjonel Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wasn't particularly interested in this game when I got my Gear VR. I'm just not an abstract puzzle kinda guy. Gave it a quick try (much) earlier this evening and only stopped playing when I got the critically low battery warning. Can't wait to jack back in and try it again. Love it!
    Great job- thanks for making this available to us!
  • Love this game, very well made, solid, fine tuned... Excited to see what is implemented in the future because there isn't really much I would change. Only suggestions would be to add more variety/looks of puzzle layouts, rather then just different sizes and difficulties... That way it feels more like your hacking into different systems/programs. Other then that maybe some customization features like layout color or an avatar or something, not a necessity, really I'm just a customization nut and I would think any hacker/computer geek is gonna customize the heck outta their stuff. I would like a statistic page though, maybe total net amount earned, programs hacked, stuff purchased/used, time spent hacking, or overall average hacking time. etc... Honestly though man, if you plan on adding a bunch more features down the road, as awesome as it is to have this full game for free, I would charge for a "Pro Hacker" version, even if only $.99, I can tell alot of hard work went into this and would gladly pay for more features. Always on my Oculus home from being consistently played. Thanks for this great game! Awesome way to chill and unwind at the end of a long day...
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    Shame for us outside of the US, since the paid store went live, there is no way we can even try the game, maybe put up a time limit demo until the UK/EU stores go live?
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
    Art3mis
    Jaycee900 wrote:
    Shame for us outside of the US, since the paid store went live, there is no way we can even try the game, maybe put up a time limit demo until the UK/EU stores go live?

I'm super late in responding to this, but now that the paid store is live internationally, you should be able to buy Darknet again. Sorry for the gap!
  • HazenHazen Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Wow, 10 bucks...

But I love it! Thanks!!