cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream PC or other video source to Gear VR

keb33509
Protege
Is anyone working on a way to stream video to the Gear? As in using the Gear VR as a display for PC or other video sources. I know the USB/MHL port will be used to actually connect the Note to the Gear, but there should be a theoretical way to push the video to the device.
19 REPLIES 19

alexroudos
Honored Guest
Limelight

Splashtop

Trinus Gyre

HomerS66
Expert Protege
There are apps like splashtop to stream content from the pc to a smartphone but of course that is not optimized and will have big latency in VR.

There will be optimized streaming solutions within the oculus store like im360VR, Next VR and Samsungs Project Beyond camera. But if you want to watch your own videos in the oculus cinema, you can just do that by putting them onto the sd card of the Note 4.

Jotokutora
Adventurer
I think the real question isn't aiming at movie content. Probably is trying figuring a way to power PC gaming into the Gear VR due to the limitations of the Note 4. The problem is that latency will make the experience bad. But I'm sure that the above software could provide it, just not good enough.

keb33509
Protege
@Jotokutora

Correct. Streaming your PC's desktop to the Gear VR. I know there are apps like splashtop and others, but the VR would need an application that essentially splits the image in two and displays the same image on each side. It wouldn't necessarily need to be 3D. If you are on the same network, the latency on apps like slashtop really isn't too noticeable. I know the resolution wouldn't be too high, but the scale would be fun to play with.

Jotokutora
Adventurer
Actually, you don't need to notice the latency to have latency. Your brain can notice it and react to it. The DK1 although not having perceptible visual latency, the brain does, therefore causing nausea to many people. Granted, not everyone is susceptible equally

Latency is a real issue, and not that simple to solve completely. Even when dealing with a setup where the Rift is tethered to the PC, latency is an issue. Again, you may not think there is latency, but it is there. The Gear VR does have a Super Amoled and that display has very fast refresh rate then adding low persistence, and the performance should be great. But how fast the wireless will transfer the data? The questions is what do you consider acceptable latency for streaming?

If you have a Rift DK1 and your immune to ever getting sick, then try the wireless solution once it becomes available.
I personally know how it feel getting dizzy and getting headaches, not recommended. Those experiences can be detrimental to VR in general.

That said if you find options, please update us on the results! 😉

ShaneMaloney
Honored Guest
"HomerS66" wrote:
There are apps like splashtop to stream content from the pc to a smartphone but of course that is not optimized and will have big latency in VR.

There will be optimized streaming solutions within the oculus store like im360VR, Next VR and Samsungs Project Beyond camera. But if you want to watch your own videos in the oculus cinema, you can just do that by putting them onto the sd card of the Note 4.

Look at solutions like GRID, Limelight, and Onlive.

keb33509
Protege
"ShaneMaloney" wrote:

Look at solutions like GRID, Limelight, and Onlive.

Actually, Trinus Gyre does what I originally created this post for. At least, the PC aspect of it!

GenJuro-F0X
Honored Guest
"keb33509" wrote:
Actually, Trinus Gyre does what I originally created this post for. At least, the PC aspect of it!

... And how does it work? Can you actually play games streamed from PC? Is there any lag? Do you suffer headache or similar when you do an extensive use? How much does the battery last using trinus gyre all the time?
Please give some feedback! :shock:

Tylo
Honored Guest
I don't see a reason to stream stereoscopic from the PC for the majority of games.

I just want someone to combine Limelight and Oculus Cinema, so I can play my games on a huge movie theater screen and use my GearVR like it's a big screen TV. The lag would barely even matter. You are looking at a movie screen, and your brain thinks you're sitting in a chair. I think everyone keeps thinking about latency making a difference because of headtracking, but there would be no reason it would lag headtracking at all in this scenario.

In my mind, it would be just as bad as normal Limelight lag (which is totally tolerable for me).

I'd do it myself if I had the slightest clue about developing for native android, but sadly I don't.

I do, however, have a huge desire to see this happen. If anyone with native android experience would like to mentor me, I'd be an obsessive assistant.