VR Pac-Man — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Pac-Man

nrvllrgrsnrvllrgrs Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Showcase
VR Pac-Man! Need I say more! I followed the Pac-Man Dossier in order to implement different personalities for Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Cylde. If there are any bugs, please let me know.

For the record, Pac-Man is a Namco property. All hail Pac-Man!

Known issues:
* Ghosts occasional get stuck in the tunnel teleporter
* Fruit is a box
* Levels do not progressively become more challenging

--- Edit ---
Here's a video.

Comments

• FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    wooooooow dude that was crazy!!!
    Those ""ghosts"" scared the s*it out of me when I first saw them
    great demo, i would go for neon yellow " dots" 8-)
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    Took me a while to realize there's a map of uneaten dots on the right side, that was a big help. :) I passed the first level but then got eaten somewhere in the 2nd. VR highlights just how frantic Pac-Man really is! Nice work on the level infrastructure and implementing so much of the actual gameplay. I probably didn't look hard enough but I didn't see any fruits/boxes, but then I was too busy vacuuming up dots. :)
  • meanfigmeanfig Posts: 49
    Great demo!! I fell like wreck it ralph, like you are in the arcade game. Very Cool
    I GOT'S TWO!
  • svensven Posts: 339
    Hiro Protagonist
    Screenshots?
  • Pixel3DPixel3D Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    currently the hud is only drew on one eye - level 1 on left, and the map on right. that cause cause uncomfortable glitching for me.

i'm missing the option to choose resolution and level of detail.
    i don't really like the idea of robots in pac-man - if you could change them to 3D ghost models that would be nice :)
  • danworlddanworld Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Thanks for sharing that. I think these sort of graphics show the potential for VR Games that aren't trying to be as realistic as possible. Proton Pulse and Gravity Well are two of the current best VR Games. Though, I just have to throw in my usual comment, that games involving lots of forced rotation I find to be unpleasant, and I think they will be pretty unpleasant for the masses also.
  • nrvllrgrsnrvllrgrs Posts: 3
    Pixel3D wrote:
    currently the hud is only drew on one eye - level 1 on left, and the map on right. that cause cause uncomfortable glitching for me.

Does one HUD element cause you more discomfort than the other? I can agree with the "Level 1 Ready!" when the game first loads.
  • ReverendKyleReverendKyle Posts: 294
    Hiro Protagonist
    I dig this man. Very cool.

A few suggestions:
    -Show me on the map. Maybe a yellow dot to indicate my location.
    -Make the balls bigger.
    -Make the ghost eater balls a different color maybe?

Again, I thoroughly enjoyed this.
    Have you listened to the Rev VR Podcast yet?

Listen and subscribe through iTunes or through Stitcher

http://www.reverendkyle.com
  • Pixel3DPixel3D Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    nrvllrgrs wrote:
    Pixel3D wrote:

Does one HUD element cause you more discomfort than the other? I can agree with the "Level 1 Ready!" when the game first loads.
    well, it just doesn't feel right when only one eye see it.. perhaps put level 1 ready in the center of the screen, and make it disappear after few seconds?
  • antigravityantigravity Posts: 168
    Hiro Protagonist
    Cool !! .. Just wished I didn't get so motion-sick with FPS movement. *sigh*

I actually got to say I actually liked the 'one-eye' hud approach!

Made me feel like I was wearing Google Glass inside an Oculus Rift !! ;)

AG
  • rorsterrorster Posts: 12
    Well done fab 1st demo ,I like the robots idea but think it would be more retro to have the original ghost !
    Not too bad on the motion sickness and I'm really suffering ,even though I've never suffered from it before VR !

Looking forward to the next version of this :D
  • AntoineRAntoineR Posts: 52
    Brain Burst
    You sir, are an evil genius. You managed to turn a all public game into a horror game. Any other adaptation in progress?

The aesthetic kinda reminded me of Tron 2.
  • CountBorgulaCountBorgula Posts: 202
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any screenshots/video of this in action?
  • CasuallynotedCasuallynoted Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it when get my rift. :3

Is there any chance of an option to change the robots to ghosts? :D