cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low FPS / performance on new gaming rig?

Keystone
Honored Guest
Hi!

I just bought an Asus G750JW with GeForce 765M, 12 gig of ram, and i7 quad core, and I still can barely get the Tuscany Demo (or any Rift demo) consistently above 60 fps. Tuscany hovers at 40 or so.

My graphics card driver is updated, I've turned the slider all the way down to emphasize performance over quality in the NVidia control panel.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I've tried using HDMI and DVI, both are about the same. The odd thing is my old rig had half the power, but performed better with Rift, so something must not be right with my settings.

If anyone has any ideas for how I can improve this, I would really appreciate it!
8 REPLIES 8

sven
Protege
Perhaps it is using the Intel HD graphics inside your CPU instead if the the GPU?

Keystone
Honored Guest
"sven" wrote:
Perhaps it is using the Intel HD graphics inside your CPU instead if the the GPU?

How can I know for sure which it's using? In my device manager, I see the GeForce card (no Intel on-board card is listed), and when I make changes in the NVidia control panel, it seems to subtly make a difference in my performance - but I still can't get Tuscany over 50fps.

ScsiOverdrive
Explorer
I don't think that particular laptop has a secondary video card.

Make sure the laptop is plugged in to power. Most laptops will underclock the CPU and GPU when unplugged to save battery life. You might also check your power options (under control panel) in Windows to verify theres nothing weird going on there.

ScsiOverdrive
Explorer
Oh and make sure to reboot! That solves everything, right? 🙂

Keystone
Honored Guest
"scsioverdrive" wrote:
I don't think that particular laptop has a secondary video card.

Make sure the laptop is plugged in to power. Most laptops will underclock the CPU and GPU when unplugged to save battery life. You might also check your power options (under control panel) in Windows to verify theres nothing weird going on there.

The power.. omfg, the power.. I've been doing all of these demos with no power plugged into the laptop! I figured it has a full charge, and I didn't want to hassle with any more chords than I already have to.

Plugging in the power did the trick.

Thanks!
Jon

sven
Protege
Oh I thought that happened only to me 🙂 Had the very same thing occur to me, luckily after a few minutes we noticed that the power brick wasn't plugged in and the FPS went wayyyy up 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
Good thing you guys figured it out.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Madaras
Expert Protege
HAHA! Wow, you're not alone. I think a great deal of us have taken our power brick for granted.