cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Gear VR work on my No-Carrier Samsung Note 4 (UK)

Magikarp
Honored Guest
I bought a Samsung Note 4 from a UK Samsung Store, I was wondering if the current Gear VR from the US will install on mine. My device is currently running Android 4.4.4, N910FXXu1ANK4.

Would I have troubles installing it? I want to know as my fiancé from the US is planning to buy one and ship it to me.
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to be on ANK5 and the UK has not gotten the update yet. Have you tried using Kies 3 and updating over USB?

Magikarp
Honored Guest
Do you mind guiding me as to how to do it? Would really really appreciate it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
NK3 and later is fine for Gear VR use. So you do not need any more updates for Gear VR.

Magikarp
Honored Guest
However my device is SM-N910F which is the European non-carrier version. Would that matter?

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the N910F is the Western-European-wide CAT6 LTE model with Snapdragon CPU. That is the one to get.

Carrier versions will also be the same SM-N910F but just running different software. So same hardware, different software. As long as you are on NK3 or later, you are set to go.

Magikarp
Honored Guest
I really appreciate all the help you have given. So will I not run into the situation where when I plug in the gear vr for the first time. It tells me to install an update to continue but when trying to do so, samsung tells me there are no updates available.

Magikarp
Honored Guest
This is the problem that many have reported for their devices and I wonder if I'll be hit by it as they planned it to be a USA only relrelease.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
According to Samsung Reps on Twitter the US Gear VR works only with US Note 4s, but it would be good if someone could test that 🙂

Magikarp
Honored Guest
Yes, that comes to the heart of my confusion. I have a non-UK version Note 4, SM-N910F, Snap Dragon, on the latest firmware I can get: 4.4.4, NK4. But I don't know if I buy a Gear VR whether it will install properly, should I just download the SDK?