New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

GearVR displays all black screen whenever connected

stupidn00bstupidn00b Posts: 73
edited March 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
Having a tough time trying to use my GearVR. Whenever I insert the phone into the headset, the screen goes black with a little white X in the corner. I can't tap the X fast enough when I unplug it because it goes back to the Android home screen right away.

I've already been through Oculus account setup on the device, downloaded the apps, etc. It just goes black as soon as I insert it instead of showing me Oculus Home. Anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,851 Oculus Staff
    What specific phone do you have (i.e. model, region, carrier)?

Also, the screen should turn black when you connect it, but turns on when you put in on your face. Maybe there is an issue with the proximity sensor. Did you ever see anything in VR with the headset?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Also, with my Verizon Note 4 there seems to be some lag time between connecting it and getting something visual in the headset even after putting it on.
    Yes, it does take several seconds to go from black to showing something on the screen.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Yep, looks like I just wasn't patient enough. After about 30 seconds, it came on with the intro. That was with an AT&T Charcoal Black 32GB version.
  • budwheizzahbudwheizzah Posts: 153
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes, it does take several seconds to go from black to showing something on the screen.

In my case how about multiple minutes? Still a black screen with an X on it.
    Best "commercial VR" ever.
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Make sure the Note 4 is plugged in entirely, the USB connector shouldnt be visible anymore.
    It takes around 3-5 seconds from the black screen till the loading circle appears for me.
  • vrgamerdudevrgamerdude Posts: 278
    Nexus 6
    Mine seems to do this occasionally too. A few times I have not been able to get it to load again until I restart the phone. I have a VZW Note 4 and just got Gear VR last Friday. I am really starting to get annoyed with this problem, as it always seems to happen right as I'm handing it to someone for a demo... most of them first timers []-(
    "I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
    Brain Burst
    Mine seems to do this occasionally too. A few times I have not been able to get it to load again until I restart the phone. I have a VZW Note 4 and just got Gear VR last Friday. I am really starting to get annoyed with this problem, as it always seems to happen right as I'm handing it to someone for a demo... most of them first timers []-(

When you plug the Note in Gear VR, you do hear a sound playing and it still stays a black screen? Because when you dont hear the sound it's not connected correctly.

When you demo it to people could put a tape on the proximity sensor, so that it stays running and doesnt go black screen.
  • vrgamerdudevrgamerdude Posts: 278
    Nexus 6
    Yes... It makes the sound that it is connected but I can sometimes put it on and sit for well over 2 minutes and nothing comes up. After removing the phone, I see the little white x in the top right corner and then it goes back to normal phone operation. It's really random.... Sometimes it never happens and some days it happens frequently. One thing that I have found that seems to help is to power the phone completely off, then put it in the Gear and power it on attached. It boots straight to the Gear VR this way, and seems to help with this black screen issue and seems to have slightly better performance as well. I don't know if the phone stops loading the OS and just jumps straight into the Oculus app with this method, but it did seem to help a bit.
    "I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
    Hiro Protagonist
    The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since.... since what? Those mind reader controllers they sold for a few hundred bucks about three years ago? First thing I did with that cancerous little thing is to shut it out with a piece of black tape.

Bottom line though, this "consumer" product is a catastrophe. To begin with Samsung/Oculus thought it would be really cool to exlude the ENTIRE WORLD except the United States of America.... with a "CONSUMER" product. In Canada no Note 4 issued from a local carrier had the update required to run Gear VR. We had to pull a bunch of back flips to get a Verizon phone, and it's not something we pulled off overnight. It's a "we don't feel like it" "consumer" "product". Most experimental wobbly "doesn't work out of the box" tech I've ever seen in my life. DK2 is actually fifty times more "consumer model" than this farce.

At this point the light sensor has caused so many false negatives... but go figure we're at a point where anything we build off Unity just starts up black. Even with the light sensor shut.

Given how pleasant this "consumer" experience has been we will likely return both units shortly. Some "consumer" product you've introduced, here, Oculus.
    Brain Burst
    The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since...

Light sensor? You mean proximity sensor. Maybe you have a faulty unit? Works flawlessly for me.
    Hiro Protagonist
    HomerS66 wrote:
    The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since...

Light sensor? You mean proximity sensor. Maybe you have a faulty unit? Works flawlessly for me.

The included software works... but we've not been able to compile one single Unity app yet, including Oculus's own examples. From signature to Unity version to Pro and non Pro (I was punished for 1 month because I had pro) and the rest of this pleasant experience makes Gear VR the worst device I've worked with this year period.

The proximity sensor did not hinder development attempts, but its only use is to confuse the hell out of the user at first use (ex.: THIS thread) by making sure you can't do the "DK2 check" (look in the lenses make sure it's not black) and wondering why nothing is loading while it's actually this little cancerous POS that just waits for you to put your face in. Utter fail, right off the bat. There's more than one thread from beginners reporting black screens just because of that component. Why is it even there? Is it hazardous for light to come out of those lenses and not meet a pair of eyes? What a terrible idea. I assume it's for power consumption reasons which would make the existence of this thing even more absurd.

Anyway I'm returning these units. This is not a serious product.
    -Still does not work with Canadian Note 4's. We had to pull backflips to get an American phone. A one-country product isn't "consumer VR". Not even close.
    -Between Unity and Oculus development is a nightmare that I do not have time to deal with AT_ALL. Just recently having Unity Pro but no Android Pro would punish you outright, unable to compile proper Gear apps. It's a series of catches like this where Unity is constantly trying to keep up with Oculus.
    -At this point all this is supposed to be solved, yet I can't compile one working app for the life of me, and frankly I've lost all interest to do so. Three weeks ago would've been fun but by now they can take these paperweights back.

Much rather spend my time on the DK2 stuff which has been far more productive for us.
  • manesotomanesoto Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    i have the same problem with my vr, when i connect my phone i can only see a white circle incomplete in the center of the totally black screen :| i have a N9010T model T mobile anyone have any solution??? :cry:
    How long have you waited with it on your face? Sometimes it take a moment to load.
    Brain Burst
    Since yesterday i noticed that the loading circle freezes and locks to my head movement for several seconds till the circle unfreezes again and the Gear VR logo appears. maybe not a bug per se but a litle less comfortable than it was before.
    NerveGear
    about 5-7 minutes I already try with black tape on the sensor but after 30 minutes I turned off the phone because it only heats and still does not work :!:
  • AceHighnessAceHighness Posts: 121
    The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since.... since what? Those mind reader controllers they sold for a few hundred bucks about three years ago? First thing I did with that cancerous little thing is to shut it out with a piece of black tape.

As a DK2 user, you probably don't realise this, but the HMD re-orients when you put it on. If there was no sensor, this would not happen. You would hand the device to someone to try out and they would be looking in the wrong direction.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the Gear VR. Maybe you can tell us which games you are making on DK2, so we know what we will be missing ?
  • RocMat1RocMat1 Posts: 5
    My unit was working flawlessly until just now and now I have this problem also.
    Im starting to think it may be something wrong with the gear vr headset
    Completely turned it off and took out the battery multiple times, waited 5 minutes and nothing
    Before it took about 5 seconds.
    Maybe its the updated version of the app?
    I dont know but whatever it is it really really sucks I paid $200 for basically some goggles, and now they dont even work

Its making the beep sound when I plug it in....but the screen is just completely black, what is going on?
  • CatrikCatrik Posts: 66
    Brain Burst
    I had the same problem this is what solved my black screen

I took it down to our local mobile madness cell phone repair place. On my galaxy note 4 They took a soft dry toothbrush rubbed the micro usb port gently, and then used a air can to blow out the dust. And it now works fine.
    toothbrush dry gently and air can... also how much space is taking up on the micro sd card games videos ect... effect how fast the gear VR loading screen starts hope this helps you out.

I believe this is also why they got rid of the micro sd card in the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, much faster loading time 3.2x faster according to the lastest reviews and benchmarks.

Looking forward to getting a 128GB Galaxy S6 Edge and the new gear VR.
    NerveGear
    I clean the usb port and also I use air but still not working still black screen with a circle like an eclipse
  • keb33509keb33509 Posts: 45
    NerveGear
    manesoto wrote:
    I clean the usb port and also I use air but still not working still black screen with a circle like an eclipse

Try a factory reset and reinstall everything. It's detecting it correctly if you are getting the loading circle. However, most likely a software bug preventing it from loading all the way.
    NerveGear
    that was the first thing I did, I did a factory reset and reinstall applications of oculus like 5 times and still not working and i try 3 different custom roms and install the original unrooted firmware NK4 from T mobile I think the error is the oculus aplications i hope lollipop fixed the vr
  • edrisi6edrisi6 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. My device is sm-n910c, rooted and I've tried every thing possible. However, one thing I noticed that no one mentioned is that when I unplug the phone from my VR it says mouse usb port disconnected. So my thoughts is that tge system is recognising the vr to be a mouse.
  • AceHighnessAceHighness Posts: 121
    edrisi6 wrote:
    I have the same problem. My device is sm-n910c, rooted and I've tried every thing possible. However, one thing I noticed that no one mentioned is that when I unplug the phone from my VR it says mouse usb port disconnected. So my thoughts is that tge system is recognising the vr to be a mouse.

that message is normal .. the touchpad on the side of the gear vr works as a usb mouse. no idea about the black screen though, sorry
    Are you running a custom ROM? Because they are not supported.
  • edrisi6edrisi6 Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone. Not sure if my ROM is custom or not since I am still learning about all this rooting thing. :mrgreen:
  • Just jumping in on this thread. I've had my Gear VR since Januaryand I have this problem A LOT.

I can generally get to the home screen no problem if I am just putting it on fresh. However, whenever I am showing it off and demoing it (which is quite frequently), if I am already inside Oculus home or in an app on Gear VR and then I take it off and put it on someone else, about 75% of time it works as it should and just picks up wherever I left it off. However, very frequently, it will just be someone saying "I don't see anything" and it seems like I have to remove the phone from the Gear VR and It has the dreaded black screen with the white X in the upper-right corner.

I have no choice but to take the phone out to close the X and the restart the whole process of putting it back on, going through the loading screen, navigating to the app I want to show off in the library, and starting it for them and then "hope" that when I put it back on the person, its not a black screen with an X in the corner again.

So besides putting a piece of tape over the proximity sensor, has anyone found a fix for this? I have Stock Rom, not-rooted, and a US/T-mobile Note 4.

I bring this thing to parties often and have made a few converts! I'd like to make my demoing more effective :-)
  • sandman7793sandman7793 Posts: 23
    NerveGear
    edrisi6 wrote:

I know cyberreality says custom roms are not supported(which it makes sense for him to say this because people have to many issues) but it really just depends on your rom. If your running a custom TW rom then you can get gear VR working by changing SE Linux to permissive instead of enforcing. I will not link the app to do it but, it used to be on playstore and now its gone (Thank Google). But I will tell you the name. SELinuxModeChanger_v1.2.apk

I am not responsible for you changing your security settings. ie.. you get a virus and you phone catches fire, you get pregnant, etc...

Good luck
  • Anyone specifically having an issue with 5.1.1? I've got two different note4's, both sprint. One works without issue (v 5.0.1), but the other does not (v 5.1.1). The 5.1.1 gives the single chime upon connecting, but doesn't provide the follow-up "buh-dum"--and there's no way to make the proximity sensor work! Volume buttons still work, but the power button is non-functional, and the screen stays black.

Working: N910PVPU1BOB7, 5.0.1 stock sprint, SM-N910P
    Not: N910PVPU4COG5, 5.1.1 stock sprint, SM-N910P

Hoping that a downgrade will fix this issue. I'd have posted a new thread, but as a new user I'm apparently not allowed to :cry:
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    koko9729 wrote:
    Anyone specifically having an issue with 5.1.1? I've got two different note4's, both sprint. One works without issue (v 5.0.1), but the other does not (v 5.1.1). The 5.1.1 gives the single chime upon connecting, but doesn't provide the follow-up "buh-dum"--and there's no way to make the proximity sensor work! Volume buttons still work, but the power button is non-functional, and the screen stays black.

Working: N910PVPU1BOB7, 5.0.1 stock sprint, SM-N910P
    Not: N910PVPU4COG5, 5.1.1 stock sprint, SM-N910P

Hoping that a downgrade will fix this issue. I'd have posted a new thread, but as a new user I'm apparently not allowed to :cry:

I'm having problems with 5.1.1 as well and have created a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26191

I've a totally different Note 4 Exynos chipset though with different problems :D