cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GearVR displays all black screen whenever connected

stupidn00b
Explorer
Having a tough time trying to use my GearVR. Whenever I insert the phone into the headset, the screen goes black with a little white X in the corner. I can't tap the X fast enough when I unplug it because it goes back to the Android home screen right away.

I've already been through Oculus account setup on the device, downloaded the apps, etc. It just goes black as soon as I insert it instead of showing me Oculus Home. Anyone else having this issue?
66 REPLIES 66

cybereality
Grand Champion
What specific phone do you have (i.e. model, region, carrier)?

Also, the screen should turn black when you connect it, but turns on when you put in on your face. Maybe there is an issue with the proximity sensor. Did you ever see anything in VR with the headset?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sethman919
Honored Guest
Also, with my Verizon Note 4 there seems to be some lag time between connecting it and getting something visual in the headset even after putting it on.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, it does take several seconds to go from black to showing something on the screen.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

stupidn00b
Explorer
Yep, looks like I just wasn't patient enough. After about 30 seconds, it came on with the intro. That was with an AT&T Charcoal Black 32GB version.

budwheizzah
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Yes, it does take several seconds to go from black to showing something on the screen.

In my case how about multiple minutes? Still a black screen with an X on it.
Best "commercial VR" ever.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Make sure the Note 4 is plugged in entirely, the USB connector shouldnt be visible anymore.
It takes around 3-5 seconds from the black screen till the loading circle appears for me.

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
Mine seems to do this occasionally too. A few times I have not been able to get it to load again until I restart the phone. I have a VZW Note 4 and just got Gear VR last Friday. I am really starting to get annoyed with this problem, as it always seems to happen right as I'm handing it to someone for a demo... most of them first timers []-(
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"vrgamerdude" wrote:
Mine seems to do this occasionally too. A few times I have not been able to get it to load again until I restart the phone. I have a VZW Note 4 and just got Gear VR last Friday. I am really starting to get annoyed with this problem, as it always seems to happen right as I'm handing it to someone for a demo... most of them first timers []-(

When you plug the Note in Gear VR, you do hear a sound playing and it still stays a black screen? Because when you dont hear the sound it's not connected correctly.

When you demo it to people could put a tape on the proximity sensor, so that it stays running and doesnt go black screen.

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
Yes... It makes the sound that it is connected but I can sometimes put it on and sit for well over 2 minutes and nothing comes up. After removing the phone, I see the little white x in the top right corner and then it goes back to normal phone operation. It's really random.... Sometimes it never happens and some days it happens frequently. One thing that I have found that seems to help is to power the phone completely off, then put it in the Gear and power it on attached. It boots straight to the Gear VR this way, and seems to help with this black screen issue and seems to have slightly better performance as well. I don't know if the phone stops loading the OS and just jumps straight into the Oculus app with this method, but it did seem to help a bit.
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"