SpaceEngine - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SpaceEngine

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • bud01bud01 Posts: 169
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks Cyber, I will get the needful cable on Friday lunch time, I am getting paid on Friday and a lot of over time coming in due to an office expansion so this is not issue at all.

just want to say its people like space engineer that I am most humbled by, this person has painstakingly work to bring about visualization of our dreams of space, I have bottomless well of time and effort for good people like this and this Dk2 I have it is a no brainer that it does go to him I just need to get these two cables.

let me work on this and get it to him, Ideally it will be sent special delivery or track and traced so he know where it is.

Let me come back into the thread on Friday / Saturday evening.

Thanks all!, great VR future ahead for us all dearly hope!

Bud
  • SpaceEngineerSpaceEngineer Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Wow, thank you man! Sorry for delay with answer. I can replace the broken cable by myself, I have a lot of experience in electronics (ie I can do some soldering, if needed). I wrote my home address in PM, and also an address of my friend from Finland. You can ask on the post office which option will be faster and cheaper. If the package could be delivered to Finland until March, 15, it would be ideal (I going to visit my friend in the middle of March).
    Thank you!
    Hiro Protagonist
    cost is not the issue the fact you get it is with no mistakes with postage so I will be sending it the best way international tracked.

would be super if once received, understand by 15 it should be there in plenty of time since I am in London England and Finland is close in Europe. would be super if update the thread once received and can take of the mind of oculus fans and space enginee fans that you don't have the dk2,

status is: getting cables on Friday 27th, expect outbound by latest Wednesday 4th March from London W1 post office international tracked.

Edit: Hunting around for a UK outlet for the
    10ft 2.5mm Stereo Plug/Plug M/M Cable
  • Hey everyone.

Can't wait to give this a go. My question is should I bother downloading the high res add ons or does that task the system any more than the base game?

And the fact that someone is sending the creator a dk2 unit is super awesome. Props to you brother!
    Sabertooth 990FX motherboard, Sapphire HD 7870 OC edition gpu, AMD FX 8120 CPU, 2 x 8 gb ram
    ,750w
    Hiro Protagonist
    DK2 status update 6th March.
    Dk2 shipped.
    About face shipped with Dk2 also.
    Track and trace details sent to App Author.

Would love it if one day the London science museum could have several Oculus units to demo space themed demos, Oculus please try to help with that lots of school kids go to the science museum and family's, would be great! I think I would voluntary to help with that for a few weekends for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=376vTw9vO_g
    Brain Burst
    Thank you bud01!

I saw Oculus demo sites many times here, in Russia, in trade centers. Guys got Oculus DK1 or DK2 and give them to use for visitors for money. This is awful imho, because they at least violated the license of all these games. On the other hand, random people gets involved into VR experience.

Usage in planetariums is the first thought I had once I see Oculus on the Kickstarter. Space is really shines in VR. Other games such as shooters are hard to implement for VR, at least because you can't rotate yourself in some direction as many times as you want. Only if you have a wireless headset and joystick.

PS: this video is blocked in Russia due to some copyright issues, wtf?
    Hiro Protagonist
    try pasting the link into http://www.keepvid.com/ and Dl
    Brain Burst
    Hi bud01! I finally received your parcel! Tested in SE, it works surprizingly well. Need to fix some minor problems, and improve performance (this will be a more hard task).

This is me in DK2 on this photo.

Thank you!
  • raidxraidx Posts: 367
    Weird but this picture seems photoshopped... :?
    Hiro Protagonist
    humbled to have been able to help, you are amazing Vladimir and your small team. I really hope the best, would be super if you get the direct to mode working and then foster the future for the new generation that is just behind us, that will be of the virtual reality generation, and you can show space to every one with the care that you do so well.

space is a challenging topic for humanity for several reasons but it is our future, and we have to face the challenges one by one together, else apart we will fail.

Please add me to the list of funders for the vive and I will add some thing towards that when it is available, in theory steam vr should approach you and ask if you would like to take one to enable space engine in vive, that would be a real scoop for them.

Navigating space in VR in this kind of ship or view aspect would be nice.

ngz8zGn.jpg
    8hAiDWy.jpg
    MoC288f.jpg

Would be great if this thread can stay open and you can report back how you are coming along,

good luck my friend!
    Brain Burst
    I repaired that broken cable. I opened the small box, found a detached wire, and soldered it back. I also found a fragment of broken 2.5 mm connector inside :)

DK2 worked without its native cable, but has a huge shaking (broken synchronization with the tracking camera I think). Now it works with its native cable and all is good :)

SE is working surprisingly good with the DK2, no major artefacts or bugs. Only motion tracking doesn't work. I will fix that tomorrow. And the performance is very low... 30-40 fps on my double GTX 780! Some serious work must be done inside the engine core (I already known some weak places - it is good point to start the optimization).

Thank you again bud01 for this donation for SE! :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Space Engineer
    I think in time, your work will be more acknowledged.

I am not sure if you answer questions in public on web forums but can you answer the following questions about space engine?

When did you start to make space engine?

How did you make space engine?

how long have you spent on space engine?

what is your dream for the future?

what if you could ask for any thing regarding support or assistance from the VR community would you ask for now that you have a dk2?

That is, do you need any technical support in regards to visualization of space engine in Oculus.

Do you feel you have every thing you need to make your dream of the future for Space Engine a reality since there are so many directions you could take with this platform which is breath taking?

Sure the forum and VR community would be interested to hear from you, if you feel any question is too difficult or not correct please talk on only those points you wish to elaborate.

ok thank you.
    bud
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA Posts: 127
    Hiro Protagonist
    D O N A T E

bud01 wrote:
    Space Engineer
    I think in time, your work will be more acknowledged.

I am not sure if you answer questions in public on web forums but can you answer the following questions about space engine?

what if you could ask for any thing regarding support or assistance from the VR community would you ask for now that you have a dk2?

That is, do you need any technical support in regards to visualization of space engine in Oculus.

Do you feel you have every thing you need to make your dream of the future for Space Engine a reality since there are so many directions you could take with this platform which is breath taking?

Sure the forum and VR community would be interested to hear from you, if you feel any question is too difficult or not correct please talk on only those points you wish to elaborate.

ok thank you.
    bud
  • stripealipestripealipe Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Hey! Wow!!

I've been looking at SpaceEngine before and i'm about to download and give it a go finally on my DK2, but, what has really got me is the amazing generosity, not just by Space Engineer and his efforts and skills to bring us a quite frankly amazing looking experience, but bud01, your heartfelt generosity too.

You sir, have made me smile/beam/grin with pride. Humans like you give me faith in this somewhat greed-driven world.

Space Engineer, i'll be donating to your cause whether i like the experience of your coding or not!
    You've obviously made plenty of others happy through no real gain of your own, and that is to be commended.

Thanks to you both. You are both most awesome and i hope this thread kickstarts the development some more :)
    Brain Burst
    bud01 wrote:
    In 2005 :)
    bud01 wrote:
    Don't understand the question. I opened Visual Studio and continue coding :)
    bud01 wrote:
    In the game itself? Few minutes, because if I see some glitch, I stop immediately and open Visual Studio to search for solution :) But now, with Oculus, I can insensibly spent a hour just flying around...
    bud01 wrote:
    Fly to another planet in reality :) More close dream - having a portable virtual/augmented reality device with full FOV, 100k resolution, and a GPU performance like today hi-end PC (and with a battery which is able to power it during at least one day). With a visual/infrared/ultraviolet cameras attached to it with an 1x-50x zoom lens. With 100 Mbit internet connection and brain-controlled interface. Imagine your possibilities with such a device!
    bud01 wrote:
    I'll ask in the next post :)
    bud01 wrote:
    I need 1 million dollars so I can hire some programmers and make all things I dream to make within a years or even less. Maybe even $100k would be enough.
    Space Engineer, i'll be donating to your cause whether i like the experience of your coding or not!
    You've obviously made plenty of others happy through no real gain of your own, and that is to be commended.
    Thank you!
    Brain Burst
    I technical question. All Oculus SDK demos I saw are designed especially for Rift. But in SpaceEngine, I want to have ability to enable and disable the Rift mode. In extended desktop mode it is easy - just change the rendering mode and move the window. But in the Direct mode, Oculus SDK tried to take control over window during all the time.

If I initialize the libovr, attach the window, but didn't set up the texture, don't call ConfigureRendering, and don't call BeginFrame/EndFrame, all seems working. But I have strange errors with my shaders in random place, and Oculus HMD shows the duplicated image from SE window. I tried to detach the window by calling ovrHmd_AttachToWindow(hmd, 0, 0, 0) - shader errors are gone, but is it a good method? Oculus HMD still shows some picture (the last rendered frame) - so I call ovrHmd_GetEnabledCaps(caps | ovrHmdCap_DisplayOff) to turn it off.

To start rendering in the Oculus mode again, I turn the HMD display on, attach the window, call ConfigureRendering and insert BeginFrame/EndFrame into the game loop.

Are all what I am doing is right? Maybe it is better to completely deinitialize the libovr each time player disable the Oculus mode and initialize it when he enables it back?
    Brain Burst
    Hey, are this forum alive?
  • BruceWrightBruceWright Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Yep!!!
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,844
    Trinity
    Sorry SpaceEngineer, wish I could help you with your question as I haven't fiddled with toggling VR mode using the native SDK.

However, I did want to say thanks for your awesome work. It was (and is) an inspiration for me a couple years ago when I discovered it!
    Brain Burst
    SpaceEngine 0.973 release! Oculus DK2 is now fully supported, also the direct mode which is epic! Extended desktop mode is not even close to a perfect timing and almost zero latency as the direct mode. So I suggest you play only in the direct mode.

Download here: http://en.spaceengine.org/load/
    Note what this is a patch, so you need to install 0.972 first, then extract 0.973 patch into it.

Big thanks to bud01 for DK2!
    Hiro Protagonist
    HOLYCRAP AWESOME!!! THANKS!!
    SpaceEngine 0.973 release! Oculus DK2 is now fully supported, also the direct mode which is epic! Extended desktop mode is not even close to a perfect timing and almost zero latency as the direct mode. So I suggest you play only in the direct mode.

Download here: http://en.spaceengine.org/load/
    Note what this is a patch, so you need to install 0.972 first, then extract 0.973 patch into it.

Big thanks to bud01 for DK2!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Direct mode loads but freezes at the menu (for me) but Extended mode still works and its much improved well done
  • TomSDTomSD Posts: 429
    Brain Burst
    This is really great. It works beautifully for me in direct mode. Thank you and congratulations!

I'm just starting to learn SpaceEngine's interface and the various handy keys. There's so much cool stuff here that I never realized before.

Here are a few tips to other SpaceEngine newbies like myself:

There are some essential Rift specific settings in the display settings available after choosing Oculus Rift, like interface size (I had to make mine a little smaller to fit). Also, you can hide certain UI elements by clicking on the little pins next to them. Ctrl+~ cycles through visibility modes for the rest of the UI. This is very useful in the Rift sometimes when you want the most immersive experience.
    i7-4770K, 2x GTX 780 SLI, Windows 7 64-bit, Oculus runtime 0.6.0.0
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 724
    Trinity
    Im trying to figure out the download stuff here. do i download the latest patch, the cubemap and all the planets? Why isnt this all just bundled into one

edit: nevermind. page two..teehee sorry.
    Brain Burst
    0.8 update breaks everything... Is there a way to tell library how to use my own textures/buffers, instead of trying embedding textures created with ovr_CreateSwapTextureSetGL into engine? This is extremely inconvenient, I must broke everything in the engine to do that. Or, alternatively, don't touch engine and just copy frame texture rendered by engine into that Oculus' texture. But additional extra copy is not good. And how to generate mipmaps after that (for GUI layer)?

So, my question is: is it possible to set my own texture IDs to the swapTextureSet->Textures[0]->OGL.TexId instead of using ovr_CreateSwapTextureSetGL (SDK 0.5 style)?
  • Dark_FreadDark_Fread Posts: 58
    Brain Burst
    Hello ! I followed your project more or less as soon as it appeared on the internet and I already spend a lot of time exploring the universe in SpaceEngine. Really love it.
    Now to make things clear, what version of SpaceEngine does work with the 7.0 runtime ?

See you, Space Co... Engineer !
    OR DKII - Win7 64 - Phenom X4 965 - Radeon R9 380 2Go (15.7 driver) - RT v7.0
    Brain Burst
    Dark_Fread wrote:
    Now to make things clear, what version of SpaceEngine does work with the 7.0 runtime ?
    I guess you mean 0.7 runtime? No one. The version I am working on currently work with 0.8, I will release it soon. The latest official release (not beta) 0.973 worked with 0.5 runtime.
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 606
    Art3mis
    Dark_Fread wrote:
    I guess you mean 0.7 runtime? No one. The version I am working on currently work with 0.8, I will release it soon. The latest official release (not beta) 0.973 worked with 0.5 runtime.

This is great news! Cannot wait!
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE
  • Dark_FreadDark_Fread Posts: 58
    Brain Burst
    Dark_Fread wrote:

That's what I thought.
    And now I can't wait, good job !
    OR DKII - Win7 64 - Phenom X4 965 - Radeon R9 380 2Go (15.7 driver) - RT v7.0